Looking at kahr cw9 for summer ccw

This is a discussion on Looking at kahr cw9 for summer ccw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for some help on this 9mm pistol. I now carry a glock 19 but looking for small 9mm for summer ccw here in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at kahr cw9 for summer ccw

Looking for some help on this 9mm pistol. I now carry a glock 19
    but looking for small 9mm for summer ccw here in the heat of fla.
    I really like the looks and features of the kahr cw9 but i would like
    some opinions from kahr owners.
    Thanks all
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

I had a chance to try a Kahr 9mm at a range recently and found it to be a very pleasant shooter - completely unlike the Kel-Tec, which was harsh and painful. I'm a revolver guy, snub-nose for CCW, but I'm always trying out semi-autos and may get one someday. The Taurus Slim 9mm and Kahr are both easy to carry and conceal.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I carry a Kahr cw40, which is the same gun only in 40 caliber. I really like the gun for carry. I chose it over a glock because I didn't have the money for a glock when I got my chl, but also because I am thin and width of the glock created quite a rather large bulge carring iwb. I have been happy with the gun after the initial breakin of about 300 rounds. Had a lot of ftf's at first, but it seems as though the gun has loosened up and runs well now. The weight is nice too, very light for a 40 cal with 6 & 1. I think you would like the gun.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Is the CW9 pocket carry friendly?

I've been looking for a 2nd auto for pocket carry but I'm holding back on the Kahr due to the weight (16oz) pushing 9mm. I owned a Kel-tec P11 and it was hell on my hands when shooting so I didn't get as much range time as I would liked.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I would recommend that you try out a Kel Tec PF9 it makes a very nice summer carry in 9mm.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Stay with the Kahr but I'd look at a PM9 instead of the CW9 as it's smaller and better built. There is no comparison between the trigger of a PF-9 and a Kahr.

I have a cw9. Love it, but would not consider it a pocket carry gun.
    I am male, 5'8" and 144 lbs (thin). I carry the cw9 on belt in a Don Hume J.I.T. slide at 2:30 position.

If you want pocket carry, I would also suggest the pm9. I want one of those myself.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Thumbs up

Thanks for your quick input.Much appreciated,my buddy is at the jacksonville gun show this weekend and will pk me up a kahr if he sees a good one.I have handled the kahr,I work 2 area shows here in so. fla. and it seemed perfect for ccw and felt good in hand.I would love a walther ppk but I have heard too many problem stories.
    NRA Member
    99 Harley superglide
    Sig P239
    My son is Navy

Thumbs up Very nice gun...

I carry a Kahr CW9 and I shoot it in the local IDPA competitions. I've found it to be very reliable and accurate. My buddy bought a Kahr PM9 and has had problems with the feeding of ammunition with it. I really like my Kahr CW9. The only thing I've found is that I had to get out of my habit of placing my right thumb straight as it would interfere with the slide lock which caused the slide lock not to engage occasionally. I overcame that by curling my thumb downwards which is also gives me a stronger grip.

Buy it, you will not be sorry.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth keystone... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference."
    - GEORGE WASHINGTON

The CW9 is my primary carry gun. 200+ rounds so far and not one single problem. It shoots like a more expensive pistol than it is, so the bang for the buck is great.

I carry mine in a supertuck and because it is so thin you forget it's even there most of the time. I wouldn't think anyone could carry it in a pocket though, probably would have to go to a PM9 and even then you would have to have pretty big pockets.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The entire Kahr line has some great CCW features. Accuracy is good, the triggers are good, many holsters are available. The price is good. I very much enjoy shooting all my Kahrs.

I have a Kahr PM9 and it's a great gun. IMO, it's still a little large for pocket carry, especially in jeans.

I had a CW9 that was stolen about 6 months ago. It was a nice gun and I never had any problems with it. Very easy to conceal as well.

In general, Kahrs seem to be fairly tight. Especially in the shorter PM series, they can have cycling issues. I've got a CW9 myself, and it's pretty good, though it still doesn't have more than several hundreds of rounds through it. It'll keep getting better, as it wears and relaxes.

The K9, P9, CW9 pistols ride very flat against the body. The CW9 is light, too. Very easy to carry IWB or OWB in a well-designed holster and solid gun belt. Of course, it's a single-stack 9mm, so it doesn't have the capacity of other double-stack variants that are similarly sized, but then the Kahrs are much thinner against the body than all of them.

Particularly if you can find a used Kahr from someone that has a good couple thousand rounds through it error-free, and has documented that, then you'll probably have a winner.

I'd recommend the CW9 as a high-quality carry gun.

Something to consider, though: The G19 is one heck of a good concealment pistol in the "compact" size range. IMO, the Kahr K9, P9 and CW9 pistols aren't noticeably more concealable or easier to carry than the G19. For 20yrs, the G19 has been well-recognized as being one of the best in this regard. I don't think that you'll find the CW9 to be much smaller, easier to carry, or more concealable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
    Looking for some help on this 9mm pistol. I now carry a glock 19
    but looking for small 9mm for summer ccw here in the heat of fla.
    I really like the looks and features of the kahr cw9 but i would like
    some opinions from kahr owners.
    Thanks all
    Just what I carry when I am not carrying my Glock 19. I like my Kahr CW9 for the stainless steel and polymer construction and its light weight. A gem to carry.
    God bless our troops!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links