Buying used guns, what do you think?

This is a discussion on Buying used guns, what do you think? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have bought several guns out of the news paper or other places and every time I wonder if that gun has been used in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying used guns, what do you think?

Buying used guns, what do you think?

I have bought several guns out of the news paper or other places and every time I wonder if that gun has been used in a crime or maybe even is stolen. I always check for the serial number (have never seen one filed off) I think it is important to own a few guns that have been registered to the original buyer and not you. Are you concerned about buying used handguns? If so how do you check on the history of a gun?

2. Remove Ads

Why is it important to own a few guns that have been registered to someone else? Just curious is it so that the gun can't be traced back to you?

re

i don't check history on used guns i only check condition and operation
    if for some reason i ended up with a gun involved in a crime as was asked to surrender it for an investigation i would - but i believe that is very unlikely...i don't care about the history unless it is a safe queen that is documented beyond reproach that i paid alot of money for - for ordinary guns that i buy to shoot the history may be interesting but i'm really more concerned on how it shoots - thats just me
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Quote Originally Posted by tiwood View Post
    I have bought several guns out of the news paper or other places and every time I wonder if that gun has been used in a crime or maybe even is stolen. I always check for the serial number (have never seen one filed off) I think it is important to own a few guns that have been registered to the original buyer and not you. Are you concerned about buying used handguns? If so how do you check on the history of a gun?
    I am not concerned.

I don't check.

Why would you?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    My concern is a FTF gun transfer with a total stranger. At least one party has a gun and at least one party has cash. I'd be more nervous than a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    I am not concerned.

I don't check.

Why would you?
    What Cuda said.

If concerned a given gun isn't clean or has an ugly record you might get hung with, then here in Oregon you can simply (anonymously, supposedly) call up the State Police to check on a serial number. If it comes up clean, you can buy without a worry in that regard.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have not been concerned enough with it to keep me from buying anyways, but it has crossed my mind.
    I was at a gun show recently and a guy was walking around tring to sell an OD green XD 45 with 4 mags, lasermax laser and 2 holsters for $250. I own of these and paid double that without the extras. The guy really didn't look very trust worthy either. I am a firm believer in, "if it sounds too good to be true," well, you know the rest.

Of the dozens of guns I have bought over 45 years, exactly three were used. I still have all three, and all are great, but I think I would be pushing my luck to buy another. Yesterday I decided I wanted an M&P Compact 45, so I went to my LGS. He had a new one w/o a manual safety and a used one with the safety. I wanted the safety. From the lack of barrel markings, the used gun looked either lightly fired or unfired, but I didn't take the chance. He ordered a new pistol.

I would buy used guns from people i know.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If concerned a given gun isn't clean or has an ugly record you might get hung with, then here in Oregon you can simply (anonymously, supposedly) call up the State Police to check on a serial number. If it comes up clean, you can buy without a worry in that regard.
    Sounds like a prudent practice, same as when you buy a car you have the VIN run and checked to make sure it's valid, it's why carfax is in business. Odds are you could probably fill your safe and never turn up a stolen gun, but I think it would be a much simpler process to make that phone call than to not check and have an investigator track you down, when they other party turned over your phone # or email or some such; or if your life changed as such that you had to move to a state where you had to register and they checked them in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwood View Post
    This statement raises so many questions in my mind, not the least of which is to what legitimate purpose?

I have several guns I bought used and every one was done with whatever paperwork was required at the time.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

los
    Also, when doing a FTF transaction, it's best to verify identification by exchanging or reviewing (current/valid) DL info. Also, try to obtain the make/model and license plate number of the vehicle used by the other party. Never know,...it could come in handy.

Never sell or buy a weapon from someone that doesn't have a current/valid DL.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

To answer your question, with the state of our government it would not surprise me to see handguns outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by puncho View Post
    I would buy used guns from people i know.
    I agree, go through family or friends when buying/selling used guns is preferred.

Peace of mind is important when it comes to a tool you trust your life with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links