G30SF vs XD45C for HD

G30SF vs XD45C for HD

This is a discussion on G30SF vs XD45C for HD within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Which do you think would be a better Home Defense Gun, the Glock 30SW or the XD45 compact. Both of these are 45acp. I prefer ...

View Poll Results: Which one for Home Defense and why>??

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • G30SF

76 58.91%
  • XD45C

53 41.09%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: G30SF vs XD45C for HD

G30SF vs XD45C for HD

Which do you think would be a better Home Defense Gun, the Glock 30SW or the XD45 compact. Both of these are 45acp. I prefer the look/feel of the Glock better, the XD45 seems to sit too high for me. However, the XD has some interesting features like the Loaded Chamber & the Striker fire indicator which seems like they might be reallt beneficial in the middle of night or the dark, etc.

Given the Pros/Cons I just laid out, which would you pick and why? thx

VIP Member
    If it's a "Home Defense" gun, why are you going with a compact?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

kpw
    The compact XD is my favorite of the XDs but I like the 30SF better. They are very soft shooting .45s. Just my preference.
    Like Thumper brought up, if it's strictly an HD gun, I'd go full size in either one.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Just couldn't decide between the two myself so I'm looking for the "right" 1911 to be the tie-breaker.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    Why the XD45 compact for HD because you could carry it concealed easier than the regular XD (if you decided you wanted to); if you want the extra capacity of the regular model then keep it at home with the higher capacity magazine.
    The Glock 30 (I have the SF) is also a great HD (or carry) pistol.
    I guess for strictly HD I would give the edge to the XD45c for the ability to reliably use the higher capacity magazine.
    Either is a really good choice, IMO.

Glock 21 or Glock 30. Can't go wrong with either one of those
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Between those two, I would go with the Glock. I just went with the M&P 45c and got rid of my 30. I like the thumb safety and the grip better.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'd say G30 (got one). The slide on XDx looks like a double-stack British tour bus to me. Awkward, and it makes the XD look even chunkier than a Glock.

Glocks have a "loaded chanber" indicator also. As far as the "cocked striker," if a rounds is chambered in a Glock--consider it cocked.

If this is for HD only (no intent to conceal down the road), I'd say go for the full size .45s, G21 or XD45. but if the size is a concern, you can get G21 mags, slip on a mag sleeve and use its higher capacity in the G30. That's what I use for HD.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Glock for either HD or SD, IMHO...dependability matters.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In my opinion, the size if the G30sf and the capacity of 10+1 in 45 acp just can't be beat. I have one and just love the way it handles.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Another vote for the G30. XD's also sit way too tall in my hand, and feel top-heavy, a little unbalanced.

And, as someone else pointed out--while technically the Glock doesn't need a cocking indicator (a Glock isn't fully cocked until the trigger is depressed) one can tell if the striker is partially cocked by the position of the trigger--if it is forward, it's ready to fire (assuming a round is chambered); if the trigger is to the rear, it is discharged. Also, the extractor on a Glock is it's loaded chamber indicator--if it protrudes from the slide, there is more than likely a round chambered (always prudent to do a press check to confirm).

Although, personally--if I were looking for a HD pistol, I would't be looking at a compact--I'd look at a full-sized G21. More capacity, longer barrel, longer sight radius.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I think it depends on your preferred shooting position. If you shoot from a Weaver go with the XD; if you use Isosceles go with the Glock. The grip angle difference makes them different firearms with different preferences IMO.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Unless it's going to do double duty as home defense and concealed carry, there is no sense in choosing a compact for home defense. A Glock 21 or M&P 45 fullsize would be my choice. I have no use for XDs.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Unless theres some reason for a pistol, for home defense I would find a shotgun. That being said I would go for a full size Smith M&P.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I voted for the G30 but question why you want to go wit the compact for HD. Go with the 21 (I think thats the full sized .45ACP)
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links