Help with new SIG selection????

This is a discussion on Help with new SIG selection???? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I am looking to go buy a SIG....my son has a Mosquito 22 (fun little gun) and my wife has a P232 (awesome, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with new SIG selection????

Help with new SIG selection????

Hello All,

I am looking to go buy a SIG....my son has a Mosquito 22 (fun little gun) and my wife has a P232 (awesome, well bit, great form and fuction) and I want one of my own. Not sure it will be carried, maybe, maybe not. I have Glocks and a PPS that I normally carry so this may just be a fun gun. But since I want the option of carrying in the future, I am thinking of a P229.

Here is where I am stuck:

1) Do I go for a CPO (Certified Pre Owned from SIG) - about $200-$300 less but only a 1 year warranty opposed to lifetime?

2) Do I get a SAS in case I want to carry so it will have been dehorned and smoothed?

3) Do I go with an Elite, about $100-$150 more, and has a beaver tail that may not be a plus for concealment?

4) Do I go with a DAK, will the pull be so much longer that I will have a tougher transition from my PPS/Glock triggers, but will have less controls without the decocker?

Please give me your thoughts for the guys/gals that own any of these SIG's. I am going to try to get to a store today to hold them etc. I had my gall bladder removed yesterday and I am supposed to be bed ridden but I am getting really stir crazy!

Thanks all for your help. AND yes, I could get another Glock or different but I want a SIG now, especially after shooting my wifes P232....just so smooth.

Also, I know some people like the 250 platform, but I want a non-poly framed gun.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

2. Remove Ads

Suggest a Sig P239

I have a Sig P229 in .40 and a Sig P239 in 9mm. I like the P229 very much, but use it as a range or home gun rather than for carry. The P229 is fairly wide and substantial in weight, going about 32.5 ounces empty. I find it a little large for easy carry.

The model P239 is considerably smaller and easier to carry, weighing 27.5 ounces empty and having the same slide width as a Glock 19. It is a single stack gun with a narrower grip than the double stack P229. The P239 carries less ammo, but this doesn't bother me.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by harley2007 View Post
    Hello All,

I am looking to go buy a SIG....my son has a Mosquito 22 (fun little gun) and my wife has a P232 (awesome, well bit, great form and fuction) and I want one of my own. Not sure it will be carried, maybe, maybe not. I have Glocks and a PPS that I normally carry so this may just be a fun gun. But since I want the option of carrying in the future, I am thinking of a P229.

Here is where I am stuck:

1) Do I go for a CPO (Certified Pre Owned from SIG) - about $200-$300 less but only a 1 year warranty opposed to lifetime?

2) Do I get a SAS in case I want to carry so it will have been dehorned and smoothed?

3) Do I go with an Elite, about $100-$150 more, and has a beaver tail that may not be a plus for concealment?

4) Do I go with a DAK, will the pull be so much longer that I will have a tougher transition from my PPS/Glock triggers, but will have less controls without the decocker?

Please give me your thoughts for the guys/gals that own any of these SIG's. I am going to try to get to a store today to hold them etc. I had my gall bladder removed yesterday and I am supposed to be bed ridden but I am getting really stir crazy!

Thanks all for your help. AND yes, I could get another Glock or different but I want a SIG now, especially after shooting my wifes P232....just so smooth.

Also, I know some people like the 250 platform, but I want a non-poly framed gun.
    1) a CPO can be a good value but the extra $100 is worth the lifetime warranty IMO. Lets say 2 years from now something internally breaks. Now you have to pay to have it fixed. Can cost more than $100.

2) I don't have an SAS but I have held and carried both side by side and honestly it's not worth the extra money. The standard sig never dug into my skin and was never rough on my hands.

3) I love the beaver tail look and feel when holding the gun. Concealment isn't an issue with it IMO (look at 1911s). The only problem I have with it is the cost of going to an Elite vs a standard SIG. They're both the same when you shoot them. If you can swing the price the Elite looks a lot nicer that's for sure.

4) The DAK trigger isn't too bad. I've had a very limited range session with one and to be honest it's a lot better than the standard DA trigger on a DA/SA SIG. However, the SA trigger on a SIG is pretty good and definitely beats the DAK system. The DAK trigger is like a lighter DA (about 6.5lbs if I recall), but the SA trigger is about 4.5lbs and much shorter so followup shots are quicker for most. I don't persoally mind the decocker, but I like it much like I do a 1911's thumb safety. I like manipulating a control that puts the gun in a safe mode for re-holstering. I would not say it's better than a Glock's system because you simply holster a glock vs flip a lever, but something about flipping a lever seems to stand out in my mind as a way to train yourself (myself) into a safety routine. For example, when I practice with my 1911 I always double check myself until it's second nature and I don't have to look (did you flip the safety before holstering?). For me, and maybe some people think it's odd, it ingrains the awareness of safety into my mind because it is an extra step that must be taken to render the gun safe for holstering. On a glock it's not that I'm unaware of safety (I don't ever touch the trigger or put my finger near the trigger guard) but the fact that sometimes I do miss the extra step to keep my awareness high. I love my Glocks and am carrying a G23 right now so please don't misunderstand, I simply like the extra step sometimes.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Hello All,

1. I have had 4 CPO Sig's a 229 40, a 220 45, and 2 239 40. Never had a problem with any of them. Still have the 220, and the 239. So I saved about 1,000 dollars. A lot of parts can be purchased for that amount.

2. Never owned a SAS. did not really feel it was needed.

3. see 2 above

4. All of my carry guns are double action only. No controls to worry with, pick it up and pull the trigger, no hard pull, easy pull to deal with. My wife has a carry permit, and guns placed around the house, no kids, so all she has to do is once again, pick it up and pull the trigger. I had a DAK and really like it, but ended up selling it.

I have small hands and like the 239, and the 220 better than the 229's. The single stack is slimmer than the double stack of the 229.

Last edited by tankdriver; May 1st, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post

4) The DAK trigger isn't too bad. I've had a very limited range session with one and to be honest it's a lot better than the standard DA trigger on a DA/SA SIG. However, the SA trigger on a SIG is pretty good and definitely beats the DAK system. The DAK trigger is like a lighter DA (about 6.5lbs if I recall), but the SA trigger is about 4.5lbs and much shorter so followup shots are quicker for most. I don't persoally mind the decocker, but I like it much like I do a 1911's thumb safety. I like manipulating a control that puts the gun in a safe mode for re-holstering. I would not say it's better than a Glock's system because you simply holster a glock vs flip a lever, but something about flipping a lever seems to stand out in my mind as a way to train yourself (myself) into a safety routine. For example, when I practice with my 1911 I always double check myself until it's second nature and I don't have to look (did you flip the safety before holstering?). For me, and maybe some people think it's odd, it ingrains the awareness of safety into my mind because it is an extra step that must be taken to render the gun safe for holstering. On a glock it's not that I'm unaware of safety (I don't ever touch the trigger or put my finger near the trigger guard) but the fact that sometimes I do miss the extra step to keep my awareness high. I love my Glocks and am carrying a G23 right now so please don't misunderstand, I simply like the extra step sometimes.
    So, I have never felt the DAK and not even sure I would like it. I have though never looked at the safety/decocker like you had explained it and now that I think back to my old S&W 4516, i did like the routine with the decocker safety on that gun so maybe that is a good idea. I was thinking the DAK moreso for when my wife would shoot it. She tends to have probems with the "extra levers" as compared to just having a mag release and a slide release. If I can get to the store today, hopefully they have a DAK so I can check it out.

I really love the look of the P239's but the capacity gives me nothing "extra" when compared to my PPS or PM9, so I am worreied Iwould regret not getting the bigger gun with more capacity.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I have a Sig P229 in .40 and a Sig P239 in 9mm. I like the P229 very much, but use it as a range or home gun rather than for carry. The P229 is fairly wide and substantial in weight, going about 32.5 ounces empty. I find it a little large for easy carry.

The model P239 is considerably smaller and easier to carry, weighing 27.5 ounces empty and having the same slide width as a Glock 19. It is a single stack gun with a narrower grip than the double stack P229. The P239 carries less ammo, but this doesn't bother me.

POGO, how do you find the overall ergo's of the 239? My wife loves her 232 and maybe the 239 is a good choice for "us" as it will fill my need for a bigger Sig while still comfortable for her. I have always wanted a full size Sig but love the looks of the 239....tough decision for me...especially knowing that I probably wont carry it when I have a slim PPS or PM9....so that maybe points me to the 229...UGH

I purchased an used ex-LE 9mm, P229 for $500.00 at a local gun store. I've added a few changes and as advertised, it's built like a tank. But, like a tank it is heavy. One solid steel handgun that may be too heavy to lug around for CC. My belt is thick and the holster is kydex. So, for CC keep that in mind, but for range use it's great. Just my 2 cents on my Sig.
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

So, I have never felt the DAK and not even sure I would like it. I have though never looked at the safety/decocker..... I was thinking the DAK moreso for when my wife would shoot it. She tends to have probems with the "extra levers" as compared to just having a mag release and a slide release. If I can get to the store today, hopefully they have a DAK so I can check it out.

I really love the look of the P239's but the capacity gives me nothing "extra" when compared to my PPS or PM9, so I am worreied Iwould regret not getting the bigger gun with more capacity.

That is the reason all of mine except range guns, are Double Action Only. All she has to do is pull the trigger......

Also FBI Stats state that most conformational shootings have the following

1. Less than 6ft
    2. Over in about 3 seconds
    3. 3 rounds fired.

So the no levers to use will help as 3 seconds is a very short time. And small capicity should be fine.
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

1) Do I go for a CPO....
    I would call around and browse your local store options. I wouldn't purchase a CPO online, because I'd like to analyze the wear and tear in person.

2) Do I get a SAS....
    You said you were thinking of a 229. I think that gun is already a bit chunky, and I wouldn't prefer a beaver tail on an option that chunky already. So I like the SAS gen 2.

3) Do I go with an Elite....
    Elites are nice, they have that nice short trigger reset, but the stock Sig trigger is still an amazingly smooth DA/SA stock trigger (IMHO). Elites also have those cool aluminum grips, but you can buy those online.

4) Do I go with a DAK.....
    I like DA/SA in a Sig because they do it so well. Up to you though.

Answer...

POGO, how do you find the overall ergo's of the 239? My wife loves her 232 and maybe the 239 is a good choice for "us" as it will fill my need for a bigger Sig while still comfortable for her.
    I like the ergos of the P239. The grip is definitely smaller than the P229, but large enough to accomodate an average male hand size. I removed the thick rubber grips that came with mine and replaced them with Hogue aluminum grips, which are fairly slim. But they fit me well and make the gun more concealable.

Here is a closeup of the grip area of the P239:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

So, I have never felt the DAK and not even sure I would like it. I have though never looked at the safety/decocker like you had explained it and now that I think back to my old S&W 4516, i did like the routine with the decocker safety on that gun so maybe that is a good idea. I was thinking the DAK moreso for when my wife would shoot it. She tends to have probems with the "extra levers" as compared to just having a mag release and a slide release. If I can get to the store today, hopefully they have a DAK so I can check it out.

I'll be honest. Once you decock the gun and set it to go you don't ever manipulate it again until whatever threat you're fending off is dealt with. At the range you don't necessarily decock the gun (although it's good to practice the DA trigger pull). For a female shooter or someone you're teaching to use it when they need it and you aren't around I do like the no nonsense grab and go aspect of a gun with no safety or change in trigger action from shot to shot. Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, Revolvers, and the SIG DAK and HK LEM trigger systems all offer a simple point and shoot method. It's very easy to train with, no chance to forget anything either. For that use a DAK would be great if you were set on a SIG.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I don't think you can go wrong with any Sig. I own two 250s, a 239, and an SP2022. They are all different and honestly, I couldn't tell you which one I like best.
    The SP 2022 feels similar to the 229, and has a similar action. I love mine, you probably will like the 229.

The double action only 250s are very smooth and light....lighter than any double action revolver. The triggers on the 239 and SP 2022 are double/single action. I think I like the double /single action best.

For carry though, the 250 Subcompact gets the call every day.

250 SuB/Comp:

SP2022:

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Don't rule out the 239, it is a great carry pistol! You should try and shoot one if you can, I bet you would fall in love with it (capacity or not).

Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Regarding SAS, I have the standard P239 in .40 and my Dad just bought the SAS P239 in .40. I stuck both in my holster and didn't feel enough difference to justify the cost difference to me.

Just my opinion!
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    4) The DAK trigger isn't too bad. I've had a very limited range session with one and to be honest it's a lot better than the standard DA trigger on a DA/SA SIG. However, the SA trigger on a SIG is pretty good and definitely beats the DAK system. The DAK trigger is like a lighter DA (about 6.5lbs if I recall), but the SA trigger is about 4.5lbs and much shorter so followup shots are quicker for most.
    To add a bit more clarification, a DAK trigger essentially has two reset points. One is like the DA reset you'd find on the DA/SA models and the other is somewhere between the reset point of DA and SA of those models. The DAK reset point has a heavier trigger pull than the DA reset point because the trigger bar is grabbing the hammer at a point that provides less torque.

The idea of shooting DAK is that you don't really pay as much attention to where the trigger resets are. With DA/SA, you slowly release the trigger until it resets at SA for the follow-up shot. With DAK, you just pull and release without necessarily feeling for the reset point; you just let go of the trigger and start squeezing over again. It requires less fine motor skill and the second reset point is there if you're squeezing/releasing so quickly that you don't release it all the way (a problem I run into with the P250's DAO trigger).
    Last edited by lifehertz; May 1st, 2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: more info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links