Which front sight for my 340PD?

This is a discussion on Which front sight for my 340PD? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a S&W 340PD on layaway that I'm picking up next week and am debating changing out the factory red ramp front sight but ...

Thread: Which front sight for my 340PD?

I have a S&W 340PD on layaway that I'm picking up next week and am debating changing out the factory red ramp front sight but can't decide which new front sight to go with.

I'm debating between the XS big dot night sight,which I had on an M&P 340 model and liked it very much. However I've also taken a liking to the hi-viz fiber optic sights as well. I'm also curious about gold bead front sights how are these in low light situations compared to other two mentioned?

As a side note my gun also has the CT-405 boot laser grips. I've always been taught to focus on my front sight even with the laser grips I automatically focus right on the front sight of the gun so that's why I'm wanting a better one. I like the laser as well but I prefer to use my sights first. Thanks for any help guys.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

I also like the Big Dot that I have on my 340M&P.

I DO NOT like the ramp front sight that came on my 640. My eyes are getting a little old and I can not focus on it.

I'm experimenting with bold paints for the front sight. I just can't decide yet. It seems that a bright white is about as good as I can do for quick pickup.

Interesting to me - is that Jerry Miculek of Smith and Wesson revolver shooting fame uses the fiber optic sights for all of his cometition guns.

He alternates between the green and the red for different events he competes in. Seems to me that you have to think that if there was something that was better he would use that wouldn't you?

They are not only bright. But they are pretty big "dots" out there as well.

I may look into them. Perhaps I'll just remove the ramp that came on the 640 and go with one of those.

J frame I have I never swaped the front sight, I just practice point shooting at 3-5 yds. Once you get used to it you will find groups that are acceptable for self defense. 3-5 yards will cover most defense shooting distances.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

XS Big Dot NS.....eye picks it up quick and will work great in low/no light situations.
    Fiber optic front sights are great with a light source but of not much use in low light and they are more fragile. May not hold up well on a carry piece especially if carried in a pocket or ankle holster.
    I believe the place for fiber optic sights is on target and competition pistols.
    Gold bead front sights work well and are easy for the eye to pick up and will be fine for most low light encounters but overall I'd have to go with the Big Dot.
    Jim

Mine has a green Hi-Viz. Very nice. Don't need night sights if you have the laser.

Good luck with the recoil.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

thanks guys and wormtown an M&P 340 (same gun with front night sight and black stainless cylinder instead of the titanium one) and yes the recoil can be stiff. But I think this is an excellent choice for a carry gun,being in Florida I find pocket carry the best mode of concealment and comfort. This gun gives me the best size/weight/power ratio.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Go with the XS Big Dot night sights since this will be your carry gun
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Links