Range report: SW M&P .40C

This is a discussion on Range report: SW M&P .40C within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As promised earlier, hereís the range report on my newly purchased M&P .40C. It had been the feel and comfort that sold me on this ...

Thread: Range report: SW M&P .40C

As promised earlier, hereís the range report on my newly purchased M&P .40C. It had been the feel and comfort that sold me on this gun in the first place, and with the medium grip in place the gun felt contoured to my hand. Strolling my favorite aisle of Wal-Mart, I selected a mixture of Blazer 180 FMJ, Federal 180 FMJ, and Winchester 165 PDX1 for the days events and headed to the range. The two 10 round mags loaded easily after having rounds in them for over a week already (I will tell you that these mags are very tight out of the box!); if you donít have a UpLULA loader yet, this is your hint to get one. I began by loading the first rotation of mags with 10 of the same type ammunition. The trigger broke nicely, though there is room for improvement on trigger feel; weíll see how it does after a thousand rounds or so. No matter what went down the pipe, every single round fed perfectly, and every casing ejected cleanly. For the second and subsequent go, I mixed a variety in no particular order, just to see if there were any conflicts in feeding it different types of rounds. Again, no problems. I did notice that the recoil was much sharper and more noticible than my Taurus 745, but I was expecting this. It wasnít difficult to control, but definitely more pronounced. Down at the target, I was creating a series of raggedy holes in the center of each of my four targets, with many two hit/one hole combinations. Growing tired of shooting righty, I switched to weak hand shooting just for fun and to see how the gun felt in my left hand. The results were the same, even when I intentionally limp-wristed a couple of shots just to see what would happen. Iím telling you, this is one boring gun to shoot! Pull the trigger and it goes bang, every single time. All told, I put about 250 rounds through it in a single 90 minute session. When the range emptied out just before closing, I saw the range master eyeing me and the ever-increasing collection of brass at my feet. I offered him the weapon, and I got spent the next few minutes watching my new purchase as an observer. He also liked the crisp release of the trigger and asked me how many rounds I had previously run through it. He was amazed when I told him it was the first time it had been fired outside the factory, and that I had encountered zero FTF or FTEís the entire afternoon. I hated to quit, but the range was closing and the tendonitis in my elbow was hinting that any further fun would be paid for later if I didnít quit now. With the price of ammunition what it is, Iím thinking this weapon could end up being an expensive acquisition, though a pleasant one. Itís easy to see why this is becoming such a popular handgun, and Iím already looking forward to my next range trip.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

I have a full size M&P 9 and it also is a joy to shoot. I believe Smith and Wesson hit a home run with the M&P pistols. Glad to know you enjoy your new handgun.

Congrats on your new M&P. I have two of them and love them both, my wife has the 9c and I have the Mid-Size .45. Both are great guns and shoot wonderful, my wife shoots really well with hers. As far as the trigger goes try the Apex Sear replacement $29, everyone says it makes a huge differance. I plan on getting one for both of mine. Good luck with your M&P and I hope it serves you well for years to come.

VIP Member
    You will find that they are Glock boring in reliability but S&W comfortable when shooting.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

My 40c is one of the few guns I will not sell because it is a perfect carry gun and fits my hands perfectly. A bonus is I shoot it very well

Congrats on yours
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    Congrats
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Quote Originally Posted by TJK68 View Post
    Congrats on your new M&P. I have two of them and love them both, my wife has the 9c and I have the Mid-Size .45. Both are great guns and shoot wonderful, my wife shoots really well with hers. As far as the trigger goes try the Apex Sear replacement $29, everyone says it makes a huge differance. I plan on getting one for both of mine. Good luck with your M&P and I hope it serves you well for years to come.
    They do, but for the best possible trigger try the striker block if not the entire DCAEK. The sear alone sometimes doesn't make the reset more positive.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    You will find that they are Glock boring in reliability but S&W comfortable when shooting.
    ^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^

What he said

I have the 9c and I find the trigger to be fine
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I have the 9C and my son the 40C. Both are sweet shooters. I have a G19 and don't care for it's smaller brother, the G26, an alternate carry gun. The M&P compact fits that role nicely for me.

I have a 9 Pro Series and just got the .45 compact size. I've had the 9 for almost a year, only about 500 rounds through it though. And I've only got 20 rounds in the .45, had to test it, been raining a lot around here. Love 'em both and can't wait to run a few hundred rounds through the .45 now. Enjoy yours!

Sponsored Links