Springfield XD vs. XDM...Waht's the Difference?

This is a discussion on Springfield XD vs. XDM...Waht's the Difference? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Springfield Armory XD-9 in my collection and was wondering if there is a significant difference between the two models that would make ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD vs. XDM...Waht's the Difference?

Springfield XD vs. XDM...Waht's the Difference?

I have a Springfield Armory XD-9 in my collection and was wondering if there is a significant difference between the two models that would make it worth it to trade in the current model and trade up to the XDM.

Also...will I need to get all-new holsters to match the new gun or will my XD holsters work just fine?

2. Remove Ads

Just my opinion, and I am also the proud owner of an XD-9, but the XD is better for Concealed Carry.
    Here's why:
    I like that it is a 4" barrel, rather than the XD-m's 4.5". I also like the standard style sights on the XD. I like that the mags are cheaper for the XD, and that it feels better in the hand.
    However:
    The XD-m holds three more rounds and had interchangeable backstraps.

I have also fired both the XD and XD-m, and I know all guns can be tweaked and might feel different, but the XD was more accurate and more comfortable. The XD-m is a fine weapon, but if it were me, I wouldn't consider it an "upgrade".

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
    I have a Springfield Armory XD-9 in my collection and was wondering if there is a significant difference between the two models that would make it worth it to trade in the current model and trade up to the XDM.

Also...will I need to get all-new holsters to match the new gun or will my XD holsters work just fine?
    I own the XD45acp service but I have fired all of the XD line of pistols except for the new XD-M 3.8.

To me there was no significant difference. Certainly not enough to pay the extra. And I also won't be in line to get the new XD-M .45 either. I like mine the way it is just fine.

Again, as stated above, the XD-M is a fine weapon and maybe a little better at some things than the standard XD, however, it is just not offered in enough different configurations to be attractive to me.

The XD-M is more of a "M&P" competitor than it is a combat gun by design. Not that it isn't deadly, it is just a little more geared to the civilian market and competition. The original XD line was and is directly related to military issue.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Don't forget about the match grade barrel on the XDm. And yes the XD holsters will work with the XDm.
    I use a Blackhawk Serpa Holster thats made for the XD. I learned from XDtalk to keep it from rattling, line the inside of the holster with the fuzzy side of velcro strips.
    XDm 40 16+1+16+16
    or
    PT 140 pro 10+1+10+10
    and sometimes
    S&W J frame 5+5

The "M" in XDM stands for more More Money. I like the XD just fine.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    The "M" in XDM stands for more More Money. I like the XD just fine.
    haha, that's what I have been told when I asked about the XDM at the range. I have two XD's that I am very pleased with. I prefer the XD over my G19.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman36 View Post
    Just my opinion, and I am also the proud owner of an XD-9, but the XD is better for Concealed Carry.
    Here's why:
    I like that it is a 4" barrel, rather than the XD-m's 4.5". I also like the standard style sights on the XD. I like that the mags are cheaper for the XD, and that it feels better in the hand.
    Concealment has nothing to do with barrel length, generally. If you have the same size gun, except one with a 4" and the other with a 5" barrel, you will notice no difference in concealability. The concealment issues are found within the grip, not the barrel.

Now if you were talking about concealing a gun with an 8" barrel, sure, that changes the situation.

I have also fired both the XD and XD-m, and I know all guns can be tweaked and might feel different, but the XD was more accurate and more comfortable.
    The XDm is more accurate, period. If you didn't have better accuracy with it, that's because of you, not the gun. The XDm comes with a "match grade" barrel, and has an increase of .5". Inherently the M is a more accurate gun than it's predecessor, if not for the .5".

Advertised improvements of the XDm over the XD:
    1. Adjustable backstrap
    2. Match-grade barrel
    3. No trigger pull required for takedown
    4. Trigger supposedly a little better than the XD
    5. More aggressive grip texture for better grip
    6. Grip design change to ease accessibility of mag release
    7. More aggressive slide serrations for better grip
    8. More capacity than standard XD
    9. Triple-position Picatinney rail for more accessory adjustment options

I'll add another that isn't advertised by Springfield: the included paddle holster for the XDm is significantly better than the included belt holster for the XD. The XDm holster holds the gun much closer to the body than the XD belt holster.

Lots of differences, all small IMO.

If I didn't need a compact at times, and was just starting out, I'd consider the XDm. I like many of the features the XDm offers, and will probably own one someday.

However, I often need the concealability of the XD compact, and the XDm isn't offered in compact. (I'm referring to the shortened grip of the XD compacts: SA may call the new 3.8"-barrel version a compact, but to me that is an extreme stretch due to either wishful thinking, attempted consumer misdirection, and/or false advertising.)

IMO the XDm offers several improvements, but they are not significant enough for me to spend lots of money to obtain them since I already own the XD. If I had lots of extra money, sure... I would already own several. But not now.

The XDm is available with a 3.8 or 4.5 inch barrel.

M offers:
    interchangeable backstraps
    Increased capacity (19+1 in 9mm)
    Match grade barrel
    Different slide styling
    No trigger pull on breakdown

It does have a bigger grip, to allow for the extra rounds. I didn't like the way it felt in my hand, but you need to grab onto one and see which one you like the feel of better.

In my experience, the extra accuracy doesn't help much. A regular XD shoots more accurately than 99% of shooters can, and if you need that difference, you aren't shooting a stock gun anyways.

I think the point of an XDm is to give a sort of competition-oriented gun right out of the box. It can be carried, but is marketed as a ready to go competition type gun.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post

The XDm is more accurate, period. If you didn't have better accuracy with it, that's because of you, not the gun. The XDm comes with a "match grade" barrel, and has an increase of .5". Inherently the M is a more accurate gun than it's predecessor, if not for the .5".
    If both XD and XD-M were locked down on a bench vise rest then, yes, the XD-M might show more accuracy. But held in the hand a normal shooter will notice no accuracy difference.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Smile

I recently bout the Xdm 9mm 3.8inch, i love it and the holster for it. Ive put about 200 rounds thru it so far with any problems. I think i made a good decision for my first gun. Anybody have a smart carry? Mine is on the way.

Hi, I too just picked up a XDM 9mm 3.8 in bi-tone. Have to wait for the weekend to put some rounds through it. test fired the solid black at the Gun Shop. Trigger is very nice. I just ordered a Mr. Softy for my IWB holster.

Yes, it's thicker, and it's about 1/2 inch longer than a SA XD Sub Compact. Handle is bigger and it might be less comfortable @ 1 o'clock where I probably will carry it. If I don't like it, it will give me an excuse to get another gun :)

I’ve got the XD9 (4”) and love it. There are several other guns that need to be added to the safe prior to me even thinking about trading in / upgrading the XD for an XDm.
    I’d have to become a much more proficient shooter before I notice the difference in the barrels. My XD hits what I aim at.

Actually, I can’t think of any reason I’ll ever get rid of my XD, unless it is given to one of the offspring.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I have an XDm 3.8 in .40, and did a lot of research before buying it, and have shot several XDs. From everything I could find, everyone that had both indicated that the XD is still an excellent gun, the m just has a few more touches. I could find noone that suggested to sell the XD to get the m, they just recomended keeping the XD and adding the m to the collection also. If you were to be buying a new gun, I would say get the m. But since you already have the XD, I wouldn't take the loss it would cost you to sell and buy a new one. Just wait until you can afford another gun, then upgrade.
    Walk softly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links