Help in finding a 9mm pocket pistol

This is a discussion on Help in finding a 9mm pocket pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Taurus 9mm for the night stand and for carrying around the house and yard and stuff. But I would like something smaller, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help in finding a 9mm pocket pistol

Help in finding a 9mm pocket pistol

I have a Taurus 9mm for the night stand and for carrying around the house and yard and stuff. But I would like something smaller, more concealable for daytime carry. Something that with the right holster I can stick in the right hand pocket and have it very well concealed.

I have been looking for something that has a 9mm round with a manual safety. I thought there was a master chart that I saw perusing the forums when I first joined of all the different pocket pistols.

Anyone have some advice or help?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner View Post
    I have a Taurus 9mm for the night stand and for carrying around the house and yard and stuff. But I would like something smaller, more concealable for daytime carry. Something that with the right holster I can stick in the right hand pocket and have it very well concealed.

I have been looking for something that has a 9mm round with a manual safety. I thought there was a master chart that I saw perusing the forums when I first joined of all the different pocket pistols.

If you want a manual safety then the first (and only) thing that comes to mind is a PT709. Personally I think any sub compact 9mm is to large to pocket carry however I know of 2 people on this forum that both pocket carry a PT709 with no issues.

Edit - Found your chart - http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Here's a link to the smallest, lightest, most easily pocket carried 9mm available today. Many holster makers offer beautiful pocket holsters for this pistol. So small and light you'll almost forget your carrying

Rohrbaugh Firearms

If you have interest you may want to visit their forum website which is an excellent source of info on the little pistol.

The Rohrbaugh Forum - Index
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Kahr Arms / 9mm Models / PM9 Series

The Kahr PM9 is now available with a manual safety.

los
    + 1 on the above recommendations.

If you're limited on funds, or want to keep the purchase around $400, the PT709 is the perfect solution.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet1 View Post
    So small and light you'll almost forget your carrying
    Yeah, until you shoot it, ouch! Great quality though.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Buckeye View Post
    Kahr Arms / 9mm Models / PM9 Series

The Kahr PM9 is now available with a manual safety.
    That or a Kel Tec PF9

Kel-Tec Hand Guns (Pistols) kel-tec pf-9 semi-automatic pistol,-MidwestHuntersOutlet.com
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I would like something smaller, more concealable for daytime carry. Something that with the right holster I can stick in the right hand pocket and have it very well concealed. ....
    I have been looking for something that has a 9mm round with a manual safety.
    Pardon me , but think about this...

You want a medium power round- in a pocket size gun-
    so it's easy to carry around for self defense- But if you need to defend yourself-

You want to screw around with a safety switch..

My advice is go with a DAO auto or revolver and buy
    new pants/shorts with pockets big enough to put it in.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

los
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    ....But if you need to defend yourself-....You want to screw around with a safety switch..
    Good post. I understand your concern(s).

But when the owner becomes proficient with their CCW, as he/she should, engaging the external safety lever will become an effortless operative technique. Agreed?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I should have clarified in my original post.

Optimally I wanted the pistol to be a 9mm because I have been hearing about the lack of .38 ammunition.

My primary concerns are the it price, reliability, having an external safety and the ability for it to fit comfortable in a holster in my pocket.

I am finding that in my dress clothes for work, my iwb holster for my taurus pt111 just doesn't work. But if I can get a gun that is very small, I think that I will be able to carry far more often.

After all, I have learned from this board that any gun is better than no gun. So maybe people have some advice on some other pocket pistols. The Kahr looks awesome but 8-900 is out of my range for now.

I was hoping for 3-400 with an external safety. .38 or 9mm is ok. Any advice now that I have clarified it?

Looks like it's back to the Taurus PT709 Slim....My wife likes hers and I've no problems in carrying it if I need to. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have been very happy with my rohrbaugh r9s. It conceals better than most .380s and has a smooth, though heavy trigger. I actually would like a lighter trigger pul on it, but do not think its possible without sacrificing reliability.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    The 709 Slim conceals pretty nice for a 9mm. I put about 75 more rounds through mine today. Not a single problem even using the Winchester white box from Walmart. No problem. I talked with a guy the other day and he said he has problems with Blazers but nothing else.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I should have clarified in my original post.

Optimally I wanted the pistol to be a 9mm because I have been hearing about the lack of .38 ammunition.

My primary concerns are the it price, reliability, having an external safety and the ability for it to fit comfortable in a holster in my pocket.

I am finding that in my dress clothes for work, my iwb holster for my taurus pt111 just doesn't work. But if I can get a gun that is very small, I think that I will be able to carry far more often.

After all, I have learned from this board that any gun is better than no gun. So maybe people have some advice on some other pocket pistols. The Kahr looks awesome but 8-900 is out of my range for now.

I was hoping for 3-400 with an external safety. .38 or 9mm is ok. Any advice now that I have clarified it?
    .38 snub is the definitive pocket pistol. 5-6 reliable shots. The .38 even in +P formula isn't the absolute best in one-shot stops, but it's controllable and generations or law enforcement officers have relied on it... you could do far worse.

Smith + Wesson holds the high ground these days in the .38 snub genre, with a host of different offerings. The discontinued (and increasingly rare) Colt Detective Special, Charter Arms and Taurus are all competent contenders. Personally, I have two Taurus 85s; one is the basic stainless 85 and the other is a lightweight, shrouded-hammer model 851 which these days is a frequent companion in a good pocket holster. I chose that gun because it had a better trigger then any competing S+W in the store that day, but that's probably an anomaly. However, it will be tough to find a new S+W within your quoted price range.

No matter what compact gun you get, realize that small guns are tough to hit with! Practice, practice, practice. .38 ammo is nearly as plentiful as 9mm, although you may have to resort to on-line resources instead of Walmart.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I was looking at the Sig 238. Anyone with experience pocket carrying that? It looks like it would be a good fit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links