Ruger LCR vs. S&W 642

Ruger LCR vs. S&W 642

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR vs. S&W 642 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so I'm making huge progress with my fiancee. She's now decided that she wants to buy her own gun and start carrying. I'm very ...

View Poll Results: If you were in the described situation, which gun would you choose?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Smith & Wesson 642

78 64.46%
  • Ruger LCR

35 28.93%
  • Other (Since I know people always gripe about there not being a choice for "other"!)

8 6.61%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR vs. S&W 642

Ruger LCR vs. S&W 642

Okay, so I'm making huge progress with my fiancee.

She's now decided that she wants to buy her own gun and start carrying. I'm very pleased with the decision that she's made, and am looking to support her by buying her first carry for her.

She's narrowed her choices down to the Ruger LCR or the S&W 642. We've come a long way to get here. She's comfortable shooting .38SPL and .38+P, so we're good there.

Now some specifics:
    • The price difference is not a factor for me, with the LCR base sale price at $395 and the 642 at $439.
    • She has fired the 642 (my Uncle's he purchased last year) and shot well and was very comfortable.
    • She has not fired the LCR, but much prefers the Hogue grips on the LCR to the standard grips on the 642. Of course, I did tell her we can always get Hogues for the 642.
    • She does like that the LCR is lighter weight.
    • She and I are both concerned about the LCR in one mechanical aspect now. We spoke with a gentleman at Gander (where both guns are listed at the same price currently, although we'd never buy them there) who indicated he'd seen LCRs with considerable pitting between the barrel and the cylinder. I'd like to hear comments on this from LCR owners. He claimed to have seen them with as few as 500 rounds put through them.

So we're stuck in the middle. I think we both prefer the 642 as opposed to the LCR, but a lot of this is concern over what we were told about the pitting. So, I figured I'd ask some of my gun-buddies here what they think. Would you go LCR or 642? For those of you that own either or both, what do you think of them? Please be as specific as possible!
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    It's a close call, however, I'd take the 642 with a trigger job. I like the LCR but find it a tad bulkier and the LOP a tiny bit longer. Miniscule amount mind you but it affects how it feels in my hands.

Then I like the 642 asthetically better.

It's very close and it'll boil down to which feels better in her hands. Can't comment on the pitting but I do have confidence in Ruger's customer service.

As for the 642, the clear coating wears and will show wear but then again, for a concealed carry gun you're going to get wear.

It's great the two of you feel similarly on this subject.!

God Bless
    Gideon

Interesting you mention the trigger. She noticed today that, although the 642 pull was heavier for her, she personally found it smoother and felt more natural.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death." -- General Omar Bradley

Ruger LCR cuz its rated +p and more lighter then the S&W ,means quicker to draw in self defense.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmPro View Post
    Ruger LCR cuz its rated +p and more lighter then the S&W ,means quicker to draw in self defense.
    The 642 is +P rated.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmPro View Post
    Both are rated +p and that 1.5 oz difference sure doesn't feel like enough to consider. However, I lean toward the LCR myself (I've got both). On mine, the LCR trigger is much, much better than the 642. The pitting is actually flame cutting. I've only seen a couple of people have that complaint on their LCRs. Mine has no flame cutting. Hard to go wrong with either, both are top-notch weapons. You said she shot the 642 well and was very comfortable with it, so keep her happy and get her a 642 with Hogues. If she ain't happy, you won't be happy!

I don't trust the LCR yet. I would give any product 1 or 2 years before I would purchase. Just me.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by DocGlock View Post
    You said she shot the 642 well and was very comfortable with it, so keep her happy and get her a 642 with Hogues. If she ain't happy, you won't be happy!
    This wise man speaks the truth, if she's comfortable with the 642 with Hogues thats definitely what you want to set her up with.

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedPipes View Post
    This wise man speaks the truth, if she's comfortable with the 642 with Hogues thats definitely what you want to set her up with.
    Absolutely, but it is important to note that she is also comfortable with the LCR. She likes both for feel. Only thing is she's actually fired the 642 but I haven't been able to find an LCR to shoot.

I went to the SW border country of Texas for a few days of shooting last week and a fellow lent us his Ruger LCR to take along just so we could "test-drive" it.

Despite the fact that the trigger is lighter than my Smith & Wesson Model 642 I developed a distinct dislike for it. The trigger was the revolver's worst feature. I didn't like the take up and release and it had way too much over-travel to suit me.

Other than the trigger I liked the revolver ok. It was very lightweight. It gives less perceived recoil than the Model 642 with all loads. It isn't unpleasant with some of the more energetic .38 Special handloads I tried in it.

The trigger is probably only a matter of what one is used to. I've owned and shot the Model 642 for 12 years now and have also had other J-Frames for years.

My opinion, for what it's worth, if the choice is between a "New" 642 with the ILS feature and a "New" or "Used" Ruger LCR, I'd take the LCR every time.

If the choice was between a non ILS 642 and the LCR it would be a tough choice.

Biker

VIP Member
    Initially, I liked the LCR but the novelty wore off quickly. The thicker trigger guard just drives me crazy and the lack of available holsters is also annoying. I’m sure its fine for its intended purpose, but I decided to pass. Besides, I much prefer all steel guns that can be highly customized and refined.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I have the Smith 442 and the LCR. I like the LCR as does the wife. She carries the LCR with CT grips.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

S&W for me. They have been building quality revolvers for 150+ years now. I own a 442 and love it, and have never really been impressed with Ruger. Just my opinion.

Senior Member Array LoveLeather's Avatar
    No one has said it but everyone is thinking it..the Smith looks way cooler than the Ruger...there, I said it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links