Went to the gunshow today...

Went to the gunshow today...

This is a discussion on Went to the gunshow today... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My CCW license came in the mail last Wednesday so naturally I went to the gunshow here near Atlanta today looking for a holster and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to the gunshow today...

Talking Went to the gunshow today...

My CCW license came in the mail last Wednesday so naturally I went to the gunshow here near Atlanta today looking for a holster and some good PD ammo. Mission Accomplished!

My pistol is a Springfield M1911A1 Mil-Spec.

I picked up this (custom made) iwb holster for $40 after being unimpressed by the 715 Don Hume iwb holster and the Tagua iwb holster. I went for one more pass around the floor and happened to see it. I picked it up and immediately knew it was the best I was going to find for a decent first holster. EDIT: Forgot to mention on the holster that the inside needs to be worn in a bit (leaving wear marks on my pistol, but chicks dig scars :P) and it has two hex screws to allow for retention adjustment.

It is also made of kydex with the leather on the outside just to make in look nice, yeah it will scratch my finish (parkerized) some, but at least it doesn't kill the wallet of this poor college student!

To top it all off I bought a 20 round box of Gold Dot 230gr hollow points. Not a bad day at all!

Just need a good gunbelt and a nice mag pouch and I'm all set to do the WWW.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Sleipnir; May 3rd, 2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: More details about the holster

Welcome to the forum, from Southwestern Virginia. Congratulations on the new permit and the Gun Show finds.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Welcome from your neighbor in NC. Nice Springfield. A Wilderness Instructor belt would go great with your new holster.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Welcome from Southern WV...and go to Mitch Rosen and order some Leather Lightning. It will reduce wear on your finish and greatly smooth that draw.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    More gun, less holster please.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I carry a fullsized 1911 often, I use a Wild Bill Summer Special. It is actually an easy handgun to carry.

GM
    Nice holster. Congrats!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Welcome from Southern WV...and go to Mitch Rosen and order some Leather Lightning. It will reduce wear on your finish and greatly smooth that draw.
    Hmm, I may have to look into this stuff myself.

Sleipnir, Welcome from Texas!

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Congrats
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

That is a very pretty handgun, didn't do bad with the holster either.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome! Nice holster and nice pistol.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Welcome from your neighbor in NC. Nice Springfield. A Wilderness Instructor belt would go great with your new holster.
    I went to their website and noticed there are several makes of them, one of which (the Easy-Fit) reads in its description "The Easy-Fit Original Instructor Belt offers simplified sizing for those who do not carry a belt-mounted weapon."

Which one is the one that it most highly recommended for carrying? (The Titanium one is a bit out of my price range if that is a factor)

Also what is the difference between Polymer-lined C.S.M., 5 stitch, and 3 stitch?

Hey there buddy. Welcome aboard!

Congrats on the rig and pistol.

In regards to the Wilderness belts. The 5 stitch version is going to be a stiffer material much better suited to supporting the weight of a pistol than the 3 stitch.

Likewise, the polymer-lined belt is a stiffened belt to hold it's shape and support the weight of heavy guns. It will probably supply more support that the 5 stitch version.

Carrying a full size steel frame 1911 you should definitely consider the polymer-lined belt over the 5 stitch, and I wouldn't even consider the 3 stitch version as one suitable for your needs. You'll just be disappointed with it in the long run.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I need all the support I can get on my lanky frame, so the polymer-lined one it is! Just have to sell back some of my books and I'll have the purchasing capacity to get it!

Thanks for the info Bark'n!

One additional question: I've decided on the Crossbreed Supertuck as my next holster and will put my order in tomorrow most likely, but my question is should I get the standard cut or the combat cut?

I'm 6', 130lbs, 30"-31" waist if that's something that needs to be taken into consideration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links