Does a double stack keep you from carrying?

This is a discussion on Does a double stack keep you from carrying? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been trying to decide which gun to buy for my first carry pistol, however I am not sure which will be best. I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does a double stack keep you from carrying?

I have been trying to decide which gun to buy for my first carry pistol, however I am not sure which will be best. I am choosing between an XD9SC and a Taurus PT709 Slim. I have been looking at carrying in a Crossbreed, but I'm most concerned about if I find the XD too heavy or thick, i'll stop carrying it. And I LOVE shooting the XD!!!
    I have shot them both back to back, and while the 709 shoots well, quite accurate, actually, it's not as fun to shoot. But it will hide MUCH better IWB.
    What to I want to look at for carrying AND shooting. What have ppl found carrying an XD IWB?
    Does it really dissappear like some say?
    Thanks
    Ricoks
    Still deciding on a XD9SC or XDm9 3.8... hmmmmmm....

Don't worry about it. Buy what feels best in your hand.

It will not be the last gun that you buy. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Black Oak View Post
    Don't worry about it. Buy what feels best in your hand.

It will not be the last gun that you buy. LOL
    +1
    I can't answer for the XD, but I can say that the double stack Glocks disappear for me with an IWB holster. I agree, buy what feels best now, and then later on add a small .380 or something similar for those days when yo absolutely cannot carry anything larger.

VIP Member
    What is the weight difference? 8-10 ounces? Pick up your cell phone. That probably weights about that much. Will that difference be a problem for you?

Double stacks are thicker in the grip, of course. That does allow a firmer grip and is at least partly why you enjoy shooting the XD more than the 709. Will the XD conceal as well as the 709? That depends on you. In a Crossbreed it should be nice and tight to the body, but will you wear a cover garment sufficient to the task of concealing the thicker grip? Do you intend on wearing fitted t-shirts or looser shirts that allow a little blousing at the waist?

Really the first thing I would consider is how reliable are the two guns. Which gun do I feel is the most likely to function when I need it? Which am I more likely to shoot regularly?

I wish you luck in your decision. Don't be surprised if you change your mind latter, whichever way you decide. Very few people choose the "perfect" carry setup the first time out. Experimentation is really the only way to know for certain.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I would go with the double stack XD. I carry Glocks with no problem. The Taurus pistols are a shot in the dark. You may get a great one and you may get one that is a piece of junk. The XD will hide great for ya in a good IWB holster. Youll have more rounds and better dependability. You could add a pocket .380 or something later as a BUG to your XD.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

AzB
    I have a XD 40 and a PT709. They both have their place. I prefer the XD for normal everyday carry (or even the 45 if I can get away with it) but with our hot summers and casual dress, the PT709 is far easier to hide.

The weight is a non issue. You only notice it for about the first 10 minutes, then both guns pretty much disappear.

As far as fun to shoot, yeah, once I got used to the PT709 it really doesn't come out to play very often. It's not nearly as much fun to shoot as any other gun I own.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Nope. They don't bother me a bit. But then I tend to carry full sized guns anyway.

I did have an XD-9 for a few years. I always carried it OWB, but I didn't see where it was any harder to conceal than any other gun. Good shooting gun, I will say that. A little clunkier than a Glock 19, but that's not a big deal to me.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

XD subbie here for about a year and a half.
    Felt pretty "thick" for a week or so, now just feels normal.
    Easy to hide 4:00 untucked shirt.

- OS

VIP Member
    While I don't have an XD, I do carry a double stack, all metal, as my EDC. I don't have a problem with the weight. Remember, the rig you carry with is what is important. Not just the holster, but your belt too. Invest in a good gun belt, it makes a world of difference.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

All of my pistols are double stack. I can carry an FNP9 (same size as an XD service) under a T-shirt with no issues.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I've carried a P228 and a Glock 23. Both are double stack, and neither are too thick.
    Knowing is half the battle.

+1 p228 and G23...for several years, both IWB and OWB, on different occasions. Good gear and dressing around the gun will go far in hiding it just fine.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Nope...Don't have a problem with my P229 IWB...it's all about the holster (oh yeah...and make sure your pants fit too)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

buy what feels good on your side and in your hand. for me that was the slimmest thing i could get that was a 9mm and i could get most/all of my paw on.

Carry what you shoot best. A GOOD holster/belt combo will make a world of difference. Don't lock yourself into one method of carry at first - experiment until you find the right one.

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
    2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
    3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
    4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
    5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links