PF9 Range Report

PF9 Range Report

This is a discussion on PF9 Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently started a poll to get some opinions and feedback on the Kel-Tec PF9. I ended up buying one with a CT Lasergrip this ...

Thread: PF9 Range Report

Angry PF9 Range Report

I recently started a poll to get some opinions and feedback on the Kel-Tec PF9.

I ended up buying one with a CT Lasergrip this last weekend. I bought it at my local range/gunshop and immediately shot it. I had bought 250 rounds of Sellier Bellot 9mm from Cabelas and shot all of them through the pistol. I later tried 5 rounds of Magtech HP and also experienced the following problems...

Let's just say I lost cound of how many jams I experienced. Each was a FTF in which one round was being chambered and the next round was coming up and jamming the pistol. I had 3 different magazines, one without and two with the fingergrip extensions so I don't think it was an individual magazine problem. Each time I had to eject the magazine, then the slide would slam shut, I would reinsert the magazine and continue to fire until the next jam.

I am not sure if I need to do the fluff and buff that I have read about doing. Or if something is just plain wrong with the gun. I have no confidence in this pistol at all at this time. I am very glad to have other carry options while working on my new pistol.

I really hope to have it remedied because when the gun was firing, I liked it. It does kick a lot, and after repeated use it does rub your hand raw. But it it is small, concealable and though it kicks, it is manageable. I also found it to be an accurate pistol. But for now I am dissappointed.

Any tips, suggestions, similar experiences etc?

Did you clean/lube it before taking it to the range?

Did you try a different brand of ammo?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Take it back to the store where you bought it. Most gun dealers provide the service of returning a gun with a problem to the manufacturer, especially if it is brand new! My sister only got 3 rounds through her PF9 before it broke. The gun store sent it back to KT. They said 6-8 weeks.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

sometimes if you limp wrist the pf9 it will do the ftf. some have problems with the pf9, some don't, hard to say why. the f&b will help. the pf9 likes to be clean and lubed to shoot well. grease works best on the rails.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Sorry to hear you had the same problems with the pf9 as I experienced; sold it after 350+ rounds of "break-in". My issue was most likely limp-wristing; I could improve its performance a little with a two hand death grip, but not much. I also helped a little to tilt the gun a few degrees to the left (right hand shooting): not "gangsta" style, just a few degrees. I really wanted to love that gun but felt I had spent enough on ammo to cut my losses with a speedy divorce. The only shot I could trust was the one I racked myself.

PF9 Range Report

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I recently started a poll to get some opinions and feedback on the Kel-Tec PF9.

I ended up buying one with a CT Lasergrip this last weekend. I bought it at my local range/gunshop and immediately shot it. I had bought 250 rounds of Sellier Bellot 9mm from Cabelas and shot all of them through the pistol. I later tried 5 rounds of Magtech HP and also experienced the following problems...

Let's just say I lost cound of how many jams I experienced. Each was a FTF in which one round was being chambered and the next round was coming up and jamming the pistol. I had 3 different magazines, one without and two with the fingergrip extensions so I don't think it was an individual magazine problem. Each time I had to eject the magazine, then the slide would slam shut, I would reinsert the magazine and continue to fire until the next jam.

I am not sure if I need to do the fluff and buff that I have read about doing. Or if something is just plain wrong with the gun. I have no confidence in this pistol at all at this time. I am very glad to have other carry options while working on my new pistol.

I really hope to have it remedied because when the gun was firing, I liked it. It does kick a lot, and after repeated use it does rub your hand raw. But it it is small, concealable and though it kicks, it is manageable. I also found it to be an accurate pistol. But for now I am dissappointed.

Any tips, suggestions, similar experiences etc?
    Definitely try a different brand of ammo. My PF9 failed almost every round of WWB, but would shoot everything else I tried.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    The PF9 CAN be ammo sensitive. Same for the LCP. After a bunch of firing, that typically changes in my experience.

Kel-Tec, by the way, gives very good support. Hope all works out for you all.

Good luck!

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

While most guns can be taken out of the box and shot problem free, I've found that the smaller 9's and .380s really need to be broken in because of the high tolerances of each gun, and the PF9 is no exception.

Before I shot my PM9, I cleaned and lubed it, and racked the slide a few hundred times to loosen it up, and has been flawless with various plinking and sd ammo. I would imagine the same kind of break in would help the PF9, but it also could be a problem with the gun or ammo used.
    "It's better to have a gun and not need, than need a gun and not have."

-Kahr PM9, Springfield XD9SC, Sig Sauer 522 Swat, Fenix PD30 R4, Benchmade Mini-Griptilian Tanto.

I went to the range yesterday and put 100 rounds of WWB through it. The jamming wasn't as bad as the first time I shot the PF9 but still had too many FTF to trust this gun yet. After shooting this last time I went and picked up three brands of 9mm to put through it. After 350 FMJ rounds and 20 HP rounds fired already, if it continues to have problems with the next three brands of ammo, then I know the main problem is the gun, not the ammo.

I have also taken into consideration that limp wristing could be an issue but I don't think that I am doing that. I have a very firm two hand grip when I shoot.

I'd sell it and buy a 20 ounce framing hammer, at least it will go bang every time you swing it.

PF9 = Inexpensive, under a pound, thin, 9mm.

It's a great concept if someone could do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I went to the range yesterday and put 100 rounds of WWB through it. The jamming wasn't as bad as the first time I shot the PF9 but still had too many FTF to trust this gun yet. After shooting this last time I went and picked up three brands of 9mm to put through it. After 350 FMJ rounds and 20 HP rounds fired already, if it continues to have problems with the next three brands of ammo, then I know the main problem is the gun, not the ammo.

I have also taken into consideration that limp wristing could be an issue but I don't think that I am doing that. I have a very firm two hand grip when I shoot.
    If you have put 370 rounds through it already and it's still jamming I say send it back now.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

You can only get so small, with the technology and metals that we have available, (the smaller the gun the smaller all the parts have to be) without something being too tight, too fragile, too light, too brittle, too uncomfortable/raw.... something has to give somewhere... Cost?... reliability?... weight?... width?... durability?... recoil?... you have to decide what you're going to give up... what is your life, or someone you love worth?

I was in your shoes 3 weeks ago. I decided that I just couldn't trust the operation of the PF9 and decided to trade it and go to a gold standard for CCW, S&W 642. Good luck.
    Ruger LCR .357 Magnum
    Glock 19
    Mossberg Mariner 590 12 Ga
    Saiga AK-47
    Marlin Model 60

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."

-Ronald Reagan

I have a new one about a month old it now has about 230 rounds
    threw it .The first 20 rounds had two F T E after that zero problems.

Sponsored Links