Defensive Carry banner

Problems with M&P

3K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  Spec 
#1 ·
I read about the follow problems with M&P.

Machining problem with slide

Trigger Problems

Magazine drops-I think this was on earlier models

Based on the hundreds of reviews I have read, it seems like they are very reliable overall.

I am thinking about getting the 9mm compact before the special is over.

#2 ·
I have a full sized 40 and I have had zero problems. Your right that there were some mag drop problems. I have heard of a few cracked slides but I believe they are on early models as well with high round counts.

I have enjoyed mine quite a bit. I don't carry it much since I picked up my PPS, but it has been 100% reliable and pretty darn accurate.

#3 ·
IIRC the machining problem affected a very small number of slides. I want to say it was due to a piece of tooling at the end of its service life, but I lost the link to that bit of info long ago.

My M&P9c is low round count, I've had it maybe 2 months and shot ~500 rounds through it. I had 1 ftf in the first 50 rounds, no problems since. No cleaning, only lube. My M&P9pro has about 4000 rounds through it in a little over a year, only malfunctions were ammo related.

This thread lists pretty much every problem accounted with the M&P platform. Most have very simple fixes and are very rare. Once Apex Tactical releases their striker and extractor upgrades I think most of the problem areas will be eliminated. The Apex upgrades have been a game changer for the platform IMO.

#5 ·
One thing you must bear in mind is that the internet has no consciousness of time. A problem with a firearm that happened years ago will live on as if it happened today.

Yes, early M&Ps had some issues (as most firearms do) and from recent reviews, those seem to have been cleared up. S&W offers a lifetime warranty, so buy one and make them live up to their warranty if need be. The M&P is on my list of possibles, too.

#7 ·
None of my five M&P's has ever giving me a single problem... Maybe I'm just lucky.

My M&P Stable:
M&P40 FS
M&P357 FS
M&P9c
M&P9 Pro Series (x2)

#12 ·
I had a little over 5,000 rounds through my M&P45 full size and compact. I owned them about 6 months and loved the guns, not one single problem. I swear by 1911's, so the M&P45's weren't getting much use, so I sold them. I get more use out of the M&P standard size. I've yet to do the apex upgrades, but will some time soon.

Like I said, not one single problem of any kind with any of them. the full size 45 had the magazine safety thing and the thumb safeties, no issues. The compact had only the magazine safety, I believe. No issues with that one either, other than my pinky finger getting bit where the magazine met the frame.

The M&P is the only polymer gun I'll own. I've owned a good number and the M&P is exactly what I like. Quality, very high grip, very soft shooting, etc. The M&P is actually one of the only guns I'll own and shoot besides 1911's and a Hi-Power.

I trust them. I expect the cheaper parts may break after 20,000+ rounds, but they're very cheap and very easy to fix.

#13 ·
NASH: I've got to say that my M&P 9mm compact is by far my favorite pistol. It is by far the most accurate, easiest to shoot pistol I have owned. I even like it better than my XDM, and I LOVE my XDM lol

Get the M&P!!

#16 ·
I'm not either, but for a polymer gun I love the M&P. It fits my hand and shoots better for me than a Glock. I would prefer it be made by Springfield, for example. Oh well!

#18 ·
I have been using M&P Pistols for around 4 years. 20,000 rounds through a .40, 10,000 through an 9MM and 2000 through a 45 full size. The 9 and 40 from the first 20,000 produced. They have worked great. Apex sear and safety plunger are a definite improvement for trigger action.

#19 ·
Mag Drop Problem Fixed!

I had a mag drop problem a couple of years ago and sometimes the slide would lock back with one round in mag. So I sent the gun to S&W and they fixed both problems and now hundreds of rounds later never had any problem. And I mean not one problem. Would I buy the gun again...absolutely! Here's the best part of S&W cutomer service: I was not the original owner of the gun and S&W still fixed it with no charge to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.