New Taurus 709

This is a discussion on New Taurus 709 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to the forums here and wanted to share my Taurus 709 experience. I've had a S&W 6904 for years and was looking for something ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Taurus 709

New Taurus 709

New to the forums here and wanted to share my Taurus 709 experience.

I've had a S&W 6904 for years and was looking for something easier to carry when it gets warm out. Picked up the Taurus recently since it's very slim and reasonably priced.

I took both guns to the range today and here's what I experienced:

I ran 50 rds of Blazer 115gr FMJ ammo through both guns. First mag with the 709 was fine, but I had at least one FTE in each mag afterwards. It started out shooting low, but after adjusting the sights, got it spot on.

Next I brought out the 6904. No problems and on target with every shot.

I then tried some personal defense ammo (115gr Starfire & 115gr +P Corbons) on both guns.

I was relieved to see the 709 liked both types of rounds without further problems! As usual, the 6904 continued to function flawlessly.

I'll be taking the Taurus to the range again in the near future and continue to see what ammo it likes. I'm glad to know that Starfires and Corbons are looking good.

For those with 709's out there, what ammo does your gun like?
    Last edited by Jonno; May 4th, 2010 at 10:32 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I like this gun I almost got it till the Ruger Sr9c came out. Oh and BTW Blazer is great ammo I prefer it over a lot of the others..I dont even bother with WWB anymore Blazer is much better.
    Last edited by C Bennett; May 4th, 2010 at 07:49 PM.

I've never heard anything good about Blazer, but my XD ate it just fine.

I've had my 709 for 6 months or so and have run 1,000 rounds through it without a single failure of any kind. For practice, I only run American Eagle or Federal 115 gr FMJ and for defensive rounds I use Hornady Critical Defense. 709s are ammo sensitive and Blazer and Winchester White Box can present problems. Stick to good FMJ rounds for practice and it'll be fine. Also, be sure to clean it after 200 rounds and after every range session. The small 9mms have tight tolerances. Don't over-lube either or that can cause issues. Lube lightly and put a very thin film of gun grease on the slide rails.

Hope all goes well with it. I've been very pleased with mine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Was shooting my 709 this past weekend with my dad and his 709. I was shooting WWB and he was shooting Blazers. I didn't have a single problem with mine but he had serveral jams with the Blazers. I have run a number of boxes of WWB through mine and his with NO problems but as soon as he tried the Blazers, the trouble started with his.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Thanks for the warning on Blazers. Not going to use those again.....I want to have fun at the range!

I have run 100 rounds of WWB through mine with no problems, but some folks have had issues with them in the 709s. Just thought I would mention it just in case you happen to try them and they have issues. The 709 is a great little gun, but it does take a little more attention to cleaning and some ammo sensitivity. I've run a lot of different brands and types in mine (no blazer) and it's been flawless. Accurate, easy to carry, and fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've had my 709 for 6 months or so and have run 1,000 rounds through it without a single failure of any kind. For practice, I only run American Eagle or Federal 115 gr FMJ and for defensive rounds I use Hornady Critical Defense. 709s are ammo sensitive and Blazer and Winchester White Box can present problems. Stick to good FMJ rounds for practice and it'll be fine. Also, be sure to clean it after 200 rounds and after every range session. The small 9mms have tight tolerances. Don't over-lube either or that can cause issues. Lube lightly and put a very thin film of gun grease on the slide rails.
    +1
    The tight tolerances of these small pistols seem to cause them to have issues with certain types of ammo. Even with the same model of gun people can have issues with a certain brand of ammo while others don't. This was the case with my PPS. I learned as I was "breaking it in" that it does not like to shoot winchester pdx defensive rounds. after further testing, I now shoot 180 gr .40 sw gold dots, which cycle flawlessly in my PPS. I would recommend that you continue to test out what ever defensive load you want to carry, just for some extra peace of mind.
    Last edited by beni; May 4th, 2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: fixed quote

los
    My 709 is both carnivorous and vegetarian. In other words, It'll eat anything I feed it.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    My 709 is both carnivorous and vegetarian. In other words, It'll eat anything I feed it.
    That makes it Omnivorous...just like mine.

The only problem I've had with my Slim, and I've had it to the range several times now, was one of the original magazines and Taurus got me a new one within a week.

It is accurate, light and reliable and the trigger is fantastic.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    That makes it Omnivorous...just like mine.
    I swear, BD. You're always making me hit the Thesaurus feature. ..
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I'm glad to hear that almost all of the problems with the 709 are due to it being finicky about ammo and not problems with the gun it self. Find the ammo it likes and problems solved.
    I've been looking for a super small, slim gun for ccw and the 709 is one I'm considering. I don't like the trigger on the Kahr or the feel of the Kel Tec. My S&W 638 is just to wide for me to carry any way other than in the front pocket. I might just end up with a 709.

jyo
    I must admit to shooting much CCI Blazer (Alum.) ammo in 9mm and .45acp with no problems---I don't have a 709, but have several small, medium and larger pistols and because I don't reload anymore, I don't need to pay more for brass---plus I had laid-in quite a stash of Blazer before the ammo thing went crazy (lucky timing, I guess). Funny thing, HK has a "Red Box" warning on some recent production pistols about NOT shooting Blazer ammo---my earlier HKs (USP, USP Compact and P2000) have already fired A BUNCH of this ammo, again no problems. Maybe just lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    I swear, BD. You're always making me hit the Thesaurus feature. ..
    You're just being amiable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links