LCR and +P+'s?

LCR and +P+'s?

This is a discussion on LCR and +P+'s? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a LCR today and grabbed a box of Federal HST 147 gr +P+'s....I know that the LCR is +P rated, but are ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gottabkiddin

Thread: LCR and +P+'s?

LCR and +P+'s?

I picked up a LCR today and grabbed a box of Federal HST 147 gr +P+'s....I know that the LCR is +P rated, but are these going to hurt my LCR??? Don't plan on range shooting them..but use as carry ammo. Thanks Robbie

I have no idea, however, I would think if they intended it to handle +P+ they would have offered the gun in .357 magnum.

As it is, it's a .38 Spl. rated for +P use. I'd leave it at that and call it good.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Ruger's instruction manual should list whether or not they recommend using +P+ ammunition.

I'd have to give them a try if the LCR was mine. I'd test them for point of impact on target, velocity over the chronograph, and signs of pressure.

I suspect that shooting the loads would be a non-event but obviously can't know that for certain.

What's the old saying? Curiosity killed the cat?

Quote Originally Posted by southarkrob View Post
    I picked up a LCR today and grabbed a box of Federal HST 147 gr +P+'s....I know that the LCR is +P rated, but are these going to hurt my LCR??? Don't plan on range shooting them..but use as carry ammo. Thanks Robbie

I shoot +P ammo in my LCR all the time. It even says +P on the barrel. I have the Hogue "Tamer" grip, which makes the LCR very comfortable to shoot with hot loads. Also, I always shoot at least a few boxes, if not more, of the ammo I plan to carry. Fight the way you train.

Quote Originally Posted by JarHead81mm View Post
    I shoot +P ammo in my LCR all the time. It even says +P on the barrel
    - The OP is asking about +P+.

Quote Originally Posted by JarHead81mm View Post
    I shoot +P ammo in my LCR all the time. It even says +P on the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - The OP is asking about +P+.
    Right, And it doesn't say +P+ on the barrel. I'm just sayin.

Rugers are known to be built like tanks... Most people say they are "overbuilt". I have three stainless Ruger revolvers. Two SP-101's and a stainless Speed Six. I have no fears of running any commercially manufactured hot load through any of them in large quantities.

However, the LCR is a new design concept and the first foray into the realm of using a polymer in the frame of a revolver. I don't believe it says anywhere in the literature that +P+ is safe to use in the gun. However it is implicitly rated for standard and +P pressures.

+P+ rounds may work just fine in limited quantities. Then again, it could also void the warranty. And if you get a failure, stress fracture or whatever after shooting 40 or 50 +P+, I'm guessing you just paid a lot of money for a paper weight.

Best way to get information you can trust is to make a quick phone call to Ruger and ask them.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have a feeling that +P+ would hurt the hand as much as the gun. Just stick to good +Ps.
    Knowing is half the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    I have a feeling that +P+ would hurt the hand as much as the gun. Just stick to good +Ps.
    Stay with what Ruger recommends. They developed and have tested this gun with the +p loads. It is enough to down the BG's at the distance you can hit them, +p+ not needed.

I would not shoot +P+ in my steel frame smith mod 60,
    much less a poly frame gun that is that light and not rated for it.
    As stated before you are basicly shooting a .357 in it.
    It would not be a pleasant experience for you or the gun.

Unless it's a brand new product, I don't think Federal makes the HST in .38 Special. The only 147 grain they list is their P38HSTG (Hydrashok), at 950 fps out of a 4" test barrel. That is certainly not .357 magnum territory....not even close. I wouldn't worry about shooting them through any revolver rated for +P. I believe +P+ is a marketing gimmick, pure and simple. Name ONE .38 Special revolver that is "rated" for +P+ from the factory. Bet you can't....because there is NO standard for +P+. Why would Federal make ammunition for guns that don't exist?
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

GM
    I am not sure that shooting +P+ from a LCR will something very pleasant.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by aedinius View Post
    f
    The +p+ is real hot, only 20% less than a mag. Far Too too snappy and painful to really control the base LCR, even if it can withstand the blow structurally. I suggest using the LCR 357 version for +p+ loads (which is 17 ounces, only 2.9 ounces heavier than the base LCR), and the SP 101 for full 357 mag. I suggest the same for S&W 649' (i.e., notbwell suited r the full 357) which is 23 ounces.

Seems like if the +p+ was okay, the barrel would have another + on it...Just sayin.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Wholly crap! I answered another two year old thread.
    Pkupmn98 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Links