XD 45 4" too big to CC in IWB?

This is a discussion on XD 45 4" too big to CC in IWB? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Currently shoot an XD 45. I like the gun but wonder if it is too big to carry. I'm 6' 2" and 235, long torso. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XD 45 4" too big to CC in IWB?

Currently shoot an XD 45. I like the gun but wonder if it is too big to carry. I'm 6' 2" and 235, long torso. Shirt and tie everyday (i hate ties). Would you recommend an XD 9 SC or 40SC? New to CCW and want to do it right the first...or second time! Thanks.

Maybe not

I'm 5' 7" and weigh about 148. I still have carried a Colt Delta Elete, IWB for years now, and much of the time a BUG also. I normally don't tuck but as far as I know I've never been made. It may or may not work for you.

I have carried an XD 9MM, Glock, full sized 1911, Browning Hi Power and CZ-P-01 along with a Charter Arms snub 38 BUG, CZ-RAMI BUG and NA Black Widow 22 mag BUG and have NEVER "been made".

It is more about the type of holster you pick, the comfort of carrying the gun, and getting your head around the fact that no one will know that you are carrying unless you are hanging out to the point that it is almost completely exposed. If you want to do the tuck in the shirt thing, then you will probably have to get a "crotch" holster or holster type undershirt.

In my experience, none of the tuckable type holsters really work with a gun that is big enough to get the job done. If you want to carry a Kel-Tec, RAMI, Walther PPK or something small and can trust it with your life, then you might have some luck with some sort of tuck in the shirt type holster or pocket holster. The best thing is just a real good IWB holster made from leather from Gary Brommeland, Eric at HBE, Milt Sparks, Bulman leather or a half a dozen other good leather makers that I can think of. I mostly carry a 1911 and have used the Milt Sparks VM-II, Brommenland Max Con V and Eric's Com 3. All are very comfortable and just need a shirt tail over them.

With the way that people are wearing baggy clothes today that hang out all over the place, concealed carry is easier than ever. If you are going out in public with your 5.11 vest, pants, boots and a NRA or camoflage hat on, along with your fanny pack with your mace, tactical flashlight, pocket clip tactical knife with camo scales, then chances are you will "be made". Dress like most everyone else will be dressing for the place that you are going and no one will ever know.

Summer time with camp shorts, tee shirt and open buttoned over shirt or golf shirt and I can carry enough stuff to hold a Waco stand off.

Jess

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Split into para's to aid readability Chris
    Last edited by P95Carry; June 6th, 2006 at 06:17 PM.
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

I agree with the above post, the correct holster is the bigest factor in concealment. The 45 ACP XD has a very long grip, (much longer that the 9mm or .40 version) so that will be the toughest part to hide. I think an IWB with quite a bit of muzzle rear rake would be best. the more vertical your carry, the worse teh grip will have a tendency to poke through you cover garment. I also second the recomendation on Gary Brommeland's MAX-CON 5.

Good luck

I carry my 5" XD-45 IWB concealed...

...and it's not at all uncomfortable, even in t-shirt & shorts.

molonlabetn

I carry my XD45 as a CCW and have not found it to be any more bother than a 1911 (which is no bother at all). I have a very good gun belt and carry the XD in a FIST #43 IWB/OWB holster (see pic).

Although this holster allows for either IWB or OWB carry I carry IWB exclusively and, believe me, the XD45 is an easy carry.
    Last edited by dairycreek; June 10th, 2006 at 07:57 PM.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

The XD-45 I have was my carry piece through the winter months. It carried well. Just need to experiment with a holster that suits you. Don't forget a quality gunbelt too.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

You can carry just about any firearm CC if you dress right.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    I carry my XD9 and my XD45T in the Answer holster on a Rafters gun belt. I'm 5' 8" and 180. No problems carrying either but I'm going for a two ply belt with Plastic Stiffener from the Beltman for the 45. I mostly wear t shirts.

Good gun the XD 45acp. I live in Arizona and that is what I carry. Before I got the XD I carried a P220 Sig. The XD feels 100X better in my hand and the 13 Plus 1 got to love that firepower. But guns our like women what one loves another might hate. But no way is the XD45 to big for CCW
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.
    — John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member
    I carry my 5" XD-45 IWB concealed...
    Quote Originally Posted by molonlabetn
    ...and it's not at all uncomfortable, even in t-shirt & shorts.

molonlabetn
    what kind of holster? just wondering because I have one coming from K&D for that very same gun.
    RKBA

John

it is all in the holster. i carry a glock 23 in a miami classic shoulder holster and you can not see it, no matter the cover shirt and/or jacket.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I bought the XD 45 3 weeks ago. I turned in the paperwork to add it to my CCW last week, so it will be here in another week or so. I'm planning to carry it in an IWD holster. probably a tuckable one. I love the gun. For some reason, I shoot it better than any of my 9mm. I really don't think that there will be any problem. If a 1911 can be carried that way, the XD will be even better.

I carry the XD9 4" IWB and it's not uncomfortable at all. I currently use the Desantis Pro Stealth holster and I also carry the extra mag right on that holster since it has the sewn in mag carrier on it. I usually wear jeans/t-shirt and haven't had any problems with printing. It's getting warmer here now so I switch to a jean shorts/t-shirt and use the same setup with the same results. That XD45 you have is very similar in size to the other 4" XD models so you shouldn't have too much trouble IWB carry with a decent belt and holster.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by sgjr
    Currently shoot an XD 45. I like the gun but wonder if it is too big to carry. I'm 6' 2" and 235, long torso. Shirt and tie everyday (i hate ties). Would you recommend an XD 9 SC or 40SC? New to CCW and want to do it right the first...or second time! Thanks.
    sgjr,

I am guessing that you are talking about the 4" Service Model. I am 6'-8" and 300+lbs. I carry all my guns including my XD-45 IWB and find that with a GOOD holster, I almost forget the gun is there. The belt you choose is also a big factor in comfortable carry. Get a belt that will support gun and holster properly. When I am not carrying the XD my Wilson Professional, a 4" stainless steel 1911 is carried IWB just as comfortably. Give it a try.......I really think you willl find the right combination for the gun if you are patient and open minded.

I hope this helps!!

My holsters are:
    Milt Sparks Versa Max 2-for my 1911
    Galco IWB-XD-45
    Ross Leather IWB-XD-45
    Soon to be delivered:
    Broomeland Service Grade IWB-XD-45
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links