Revolver - Reload question

This is a discussion on Revolver - Reload question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the past few months I have been seriously considering switching to a wheel gun. At this point my mind has been more or less ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revolver - Reload question

For the past few months I have been seriously considering switching to a wheel gun. At this point my mind has been more or less made up to go to a ruger sp101 snubby once I have the funds available. My issue now is carrying a reload. I really hope I never find myself in the situtation where I need more then 5 rounds but I admit that I do feel more comfortable when I'm carrying a reload for whatever I have to be carrying at the moment. My issue is this. How does one carry a speed loader?

One of the things I LOVE about my PT709 is that not only the gun is very slim, the magazine is as well. It's a dream to carry both the mag and the gun as I don't have to pay any attnetion to what I'm wearing. The gun hides in anything short of skin tight clothes (Which I don't own lol). How do you wheel gun guys carry your speed loaders? Just throw onw in you pocket? Are the speed loader pouches like there are mag pouches? Any help woul dbe greatly appericated!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    For the past few months I have been seriously considering switching to a wheel gun. At this point my mind has been more or less made up to go to a ruger sp101 snubby once I have the funds available. My issue now is carrying a reload. I really hope I never find myself in the situtation where I need more then 5 rounds but I admit that I do feel more comfortable when I'm carrying a reload for whatever I have to be carrying at the moment. My issue is this. How does one carry a speed loader?

One of the things I LOVE about my PT709 is that not only the gun is very slim, the magazine is as well. It's a dream to carry both the mag and the gun as I don't have to pay any attnetion to what I'm
    wearing. The gun hides in anything short of skin tight clothes (Which I don't own lol). How do you wheel gun guys carry your speed loaders? Just throw onw in you pocket? Are the speed loader pouches like there are mag pouches? Any help woul dbe greatly appericated!
    Yes, there are speed loader pouches. They tend to be a little large and stick out a bit. They are available in nylon and leather. You will probably need a cover garment, I wear a larger than normal button down shirt and leave it out and open like a jacket. The other option, though not as quick is a ammo strip like the Bianchi strip(?). These just slip in the pocket, no cover up needed. With practice, you can load two at a time from the strips into a j-framed size gun. I have all 3 types and use them at different times depending on the situation.

Good luck and don't let anyone tell you that a wheel gun isn't good enough.

Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

los
    Rollo, we're in the same aircraft carrier.

I recently purchased my first carry revolver. I take possession next week. After weeks of doing research and asking questions, I've decided that my method of reloading will be via Speedstrips.

While Speedstrips may be a bit slower to load than a speedloader, the objective is to become proficient in the act of utilizing them.

Here's some of the reasons I chose a Speedstrip over a SL...:

- No mechanical moving parts susceptible to breakage
    - Flat design; thinner and easier to conceal
    - No cartridge rattle
    - Can be used for a partial reload
    - They will not roll away if, and when dropped.
    - Easier to carry 3 or 4 reloads in flat strips [less bulk]
    - Less expensive per reload. [about half the cost]
    - Accidental pre-cartridge deployment/release is eliminated
    - Wiil not break if accidently stepped-on or dropped
    - Will work effortlessly with the revolver, regardless of grip style

I could probably think of a few more, but it's time for my coffee break.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    5 round speed loaders are not that big. If it was a 6 or 8 shot I would definitely say speed strip.

I have seen people use anything from cell phone holders to specialized pouches. Carry what you like. Speed strips and speed loaders are not expensive. Try both.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Don't worry about reloads, really

Interesting post. I too normally switch to a small revolver in the summer (mine is a S&W 642), mainly due to reduced clothing, i.e. no jackets etc, in the summer. I've found that that little 642 slips easily into either a front or back pocket and disappears which is perfect in summer.
    As far as carrying a reload, I will only say this. Since I no longer carry a badge for a living, I have no interest in getting into a gun fight with anyone, I carry now to get out of trouble, should trouble arise. When I do carry a reload, I carry a strip with 5 rounds. With a little practice, you can learn to drop 5 rounds pretty quickly, and if you can't get out of trouble with 10 rounds, you're in the wrong place to begin with. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post

Here's some of the reasons I chose a Speedstrip over a SL...:

- No mechanical moving parts susceptible to breakage
    - Flat design; thinner and easier to conceal
    - No cartridge rattle
    - Can be used for a partial reload
    - They will not roll away if, and when dropped.
    - Easier to carry 3 or 4 reloads in flat strips
    - Less expensive per reload. [about half the cost].
    Well, can't really argue with that. Nicely put! Did you end up going with the Sp101? For me its between The ruger or the S&W 637. I like the weight of the 637 more then the 101 but I'm thinking .357 out of it is going to be pretty painful.

Edit never mind. I didnt realise the 637 was .38 only. Glad im doing my research lol.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

los
    The SP101 is an awesome revolver. They're built like a tank.

I went retro-vintage and acquired a new nickled S&W Model 40. It's a +P .38.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't have any problem with reloads. I think the fear of it coming up in court is a lot of urban myth, and if you know what you're doing, reloads are just as reliable as factory loads. If a reload has been proven to be reliable in your firearm, why not trust it? In fact, I've had more misfires with factory loads than my reloads (1, a defective primer that could just as easily been shipped to an ammo maker.). You can even reduce the loads if recoil is an issue, and I hardly think that's gonna make you look like a hardened killer in anyone's eyes.

As for extras, mags are long and skinny versus short and round for a speedloader. You just make adjustments in how you carry.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Try Tuff Products

Forum sponsor and they have a superior product than the Bianchi, wth many more options. They treated me great as a customer and gave me a freebee when I made an order a day before they started a sale. They didn't have to do that. They also sell pouches.

I usually carry one in the little "watch pocket" on my jeans when I have a revolver on me. One also fits in a little pocket on my Maxpedition diaper bag when I carry in that bag. Another trick is to go to your local gun shop and look in the bargain box of old holsters and slings and pouches and such that most of them have laying around. You can find an old prehistoric piece of cop equipment called a dump pouch. Speedstrips were originally designed to fit them to keep them from, well, dumping. I don't think I've paid more that 3 bucks for one. When I carry a revolver as a primary I keep a speedloader or 2 moon clips in a pouch from Uncle Mikes. Two moon clips fit in the space of one speedloader.

ROLLO

When I carry reloads I always go with the strips now rather than the round bulky ones.

I find the round reloaders just too fat and bulky. I used to just skip carrying a reload most of the time because of the hassle. With strips I can put them virtually anywhere without them showing (even a couple of them).

If you go with a nice thin speed strip for your J frame reloads, consider going with a 4 shot load as per the link I've included. It's a lot quicker and less prone to having to carefully bend the strip away from the cylinder etc. etc.

THR - View Single Post - The 642 club

I know that "jt1" - the poster on the subject - has increased his reloading skills up to the point where he is over 95% successful concerning ending up with the hammer over the emty chamber.

I know from practice that, on the very few times when I end up with the empty chamber where I didn't intend, it just takes a split second pull of the trigger to find a loaded chamber (I'm busy clicking away anyway) That's one of the big advantages of a revolver concerning misfires IMO by the way.

I know it's 9 shots instead of 10. But if you ever get up to the second reload point you're in some pretty deep crap aren't you?

These are also much better for use in "partial" reload situations IMO.

You might also consider stuffing your reloaders with the little shorter "hot" .38 spl. rounds to aid speed of reload. I carry .357's myself in the gun. But I really doubt that you'd know the difference in power on the reloads if it gets to that point in a gunfight. AND (it seems entirely possible) you may want to increase your accuracy potential a little for the second cylinder since you seem to have missed 5 times already).

Try it - you might like it!

I carry one speed loader and one speed strip.

For me, it is much faster to use the speed loader.

With loose cargo pants, I forget that I am even carrying them. If you wear tight pants, the speed loader will be more difficult. Some people use camera or cell cases.

How 'bout tactical reloads?

Don't want to hijack, but I think this question will add another dimension to Rollo's...

What is the procedure for a tactical reload with a revolver? I mean, reloading while you still have some live rounds in the gun.

How do you eject the spent casings, while retaining the live rounds?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    When I carry a wheelgun I am usually wearing a suit. An HKS 5 shot speedloader disappears nicely in the change pocket of my suit jacket. I also have a strip in a pouch on my belt at about 10 o'clock. The pouch looks very innocuous to anyone that doesn't know precisely what it is. A strip will also vanish in the change pocket of most blue jeans.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

When I'm carrying a revolver as a "primary" I tend to carry three of them. Most often in .357/38 SPL.

My Speedloaders are carried in a nylon digital camera case where they are stacked, one on top of the other. This doesn't look "gunny", for lack of a better word, and keeps them positioned where training has taught me to reach for a Speedloader. Two Speed Strips are in my pocket, as the other pocket holds another revolver. The third revolver, well that's most often IWB opposite the "primary".

The drawback to a revolver is capacity and reloading time. I find the fastest reload to be a second gun. Even if I have a second or third gun, I still want extra ammo too however.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    ............................The drawback to a revolver is capacity and reloading time. I find the fastest reload to be a second gun. Even if I have a second or third gun......Biker
    When I'm "seriously carrying" I carry a second gun for my reload. It's much faster to grab my other gun off my left side hip than worry about reloading. If I ever get down to needing a third gun it'll just be time to run or meet the Lord.

My suits are cut so as to hide my OWB J frames pretty well, so I can do that. A second gun may not be an option for many folks though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links