.357 Snub help

This is a discussion on .357 Snub help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I have decided that I want to switch to a wheel gun and know that I want to go with .357 but other then ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: .357 Snub help

.357 Snub help

So I have decided that I want to switch to a wheel gun and know that I want to go with .357 but other then that I have come to the conclusion that I don't know much about wheel guns. I have a pretty good knowledge of auto's but since I have never carried or even owned a revolver I know next to nothing. I am trying to create a "list" of what I should be interested in. So far the only things on it the Taurus 605 and the Ruger SP101. What others should I be looking at? Out of the two I am leaning towards the Taurus as it's a bit lighter but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

JT
    Depending on how large you want to go, I would go with S&W Model 60 or a S&W Model 686.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

los
    Look at the Smith 640. Arguably the perfect CCW in .357.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

So far the only things on it the Taurus 605 and the Ruger SP101. What others should I be looking at? Out of the two I am leaning towards the Taurus as it's a bit lighter but I am open to suggestions.
    I'd go for the heavier SP101. In fact, the SP101 is about as light weight as I care to go for 357 Mag loads and is an excellent choice for concealed carry.

VIP Member
    I agree with 'JT' although I carry the S&W 640 (without the external hammer) and I use the 686 for the range and home defense. Now, I could CC the 686 2.5" but it's a bit more clumsy on the hip.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I've been eyeing the S&W 340. Hammerless and light, maybe TOO light for full mags though. I guess it would be great to carry and potent, but not fun to range shoot with.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

VIP Member
    Yep, the 340 vapor-weight is nice to carry but a hell of a lot harder to control the shot groups.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Depending on how large you want to go, I would go with S&W Model 60 or a S&W Model 686.
    Whats the difference between the model 60 and the 60-9? I dont understand how smith does their model numbers.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I have the Taurus model 617. I was going to buy a S&W Night Guard but I was told they have had frame cracking issues with their scandium frames. The Taurus is almost identical to a K frame Smith (uses the same holster), not quite as precision machined but so far it shoots well and no issues. Seven shots is always better than 5 or 6.

los
    Rollo, If you're inclined to purchase a "hammered" revolver, look at the Rossi models 461/462. Academy sells them for arond $300.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Whats the difference between the model 60 and the 60-9? I dont understand how smith does their model numbers.
    the dash nine would indicate generation and/or options. A model 60 is a model 60 is a model 60. They will all be a J frame revolver but if it is a model 60 no dash and a model 60 dash one the dash one may indicate certain changes or options available for the year it was produced.

Not sure specifically though it may take research but here is an example... my 29-2 is a .44 mag with a recessed cylinder, 8 3/4" pinned barrel, and square butt... the 29-3 is a 3" non pinned non recessed cylinder round butt .44 mag
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

VIP Member
    Model-60 versions, courtesy of the S&W forum:

Model 60 (.38 spc) history?
    ~ Stephen King

I have the Taurus 605 .357 and it feels fine to shoot and carry. I carry the Speer Gold Dot 135gr JHP "short barrel" ammo in it.

Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

S&W model 66 snubby

I have frequently carried a S&W model 66 snubby and think it has one of the best triggers of any snubby out there, either in DA or SA. The gun conceals very well in a high riding belt holster. It is heavy enough to handle .357 recoil easily.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Rollo, If you're inclined to purchase a "hammered" revolver, look at the Rossi models 461/462. Academy sells them for arond $300.
    6 round capacity huh? Interesting. The only issue I can think of is it's probably a bit thicker then others because of the extra round and width is a primary concern for me. I do however definitely want a exposed hammer.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links