Glove Box Gun

Glove Box Gun

This is a discussion on Glove Box Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, my latest problem that I've come up with is having a glove box gun. I want to be able to just throw it ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glove Box Gun

Glove Box Gun

Hey guys, my latest problem that I've come up with is having a glove box gun. I want to be able to just throw it in my glove box and I don't want to have to worry about it getting banged up. This would be for little errands as running into town for a little bit, or going out to grab some fast food if I don't feel like making anything. When I'm only going out for 10-20 mins, it is really a pain to holster up and possibly have to change clothes in the process. So instead of holstering up, I want to be able to grab this gun and throw it in the glove box when I'm leaving the house for a short amount of time. My carry gun is a full-size 1911, I'm looking for something smaller and more rugged. I'm not looking to spend very much, $400-500 MAX.

So far I'm looking at:

Ruger SP101 .357 mag

Glock 23 or something similar

Suggestions or insights?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Kel-tec or Smith Sigma...the two you mention are too nice for glove box.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Glock 23 hands down. Great, reliable, gun that can take the punches of everyday abuse and it will still keep on kicking.
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

I don't know what CO says about leaving a loaded/unloaded gun un-attended,but some states might consider it negligence if it's stolen and used in a crime so I got a Secure-It safe that I keep in my glove box. I also have a cable attaching it to a metal rod behind the glove box that makes it a little more difficult to steal.
    Secure-It Handgun Storage Safe, Shooting Supplies at Sportsman's Guide
    With one of those you don't really have to worry so much about the gun you keep in there either since it's protected. You wouldn't need to buy another gun either, unless this is an excuse to get another gun :-) There are two sizes of the box, so make sure you get one that fits a full size 1911.

I have one of those glove box guns and it is a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 special. This revolver doesn't cost much (usually under $400.00 street price) and is chambered in a big bore cartridge. You will find that it doesn't have the fit and finish of a Smith and Wesson or a Ruger revolver, but you won't have a cow either if it gets beat up a bit. Nor will you cry crocodile tears if it gets stolen. This dandy and handy little revolver is what I carry on canoe trips.
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    If you like the feel of the Glock that would be my recommendation. I think they're about the most reliable gun out there. But the SP101 in short barrel with factory bobbed hammer would also be perfect. If it gets a little beat up you can have it bead blasted and it's new again.

I would also consider an older all stainless S&W J frame. It's not as cheap but I have a 640-1 and it's small compact and the weight of the all stainless construction makes even .38+ P's seem mild.

Gideon

I have a .25 Beretta Jetfire that I keep in my glovebox at all times but if I go somewhere I am afraid my car will get broken into I put it in the Nanovault under my seat. This is mainly for driving back and forth to work and I normally carry my MK9 on weekends or when I go somewhere on the weekdays.

hi point c9. you can literally bang the hell out of it. it fits in the glove box well. nobody wants to have their gun stolen and out on the streets, but if it did get stolen, you're only out about $150.

I second the vote for the S&W Sigma (SW9VE/SW40VE). At $300.00 and 16/14 rounds, it's a deal. I too like the revolver idea, a lot! My primary carry gun is a M60 backed by either my G19 or Sig P232. I did just pick up a 40 Sigma for exactly the same reason...a car/truck gun.
    Check here
    J&G Sales
    for some fantastic deals on used revolvers.

Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

A G23 is my glove box gun, along with a Fobus paddle holster and a few spare mags. There's nothing more than a spare flashlight in the box that will beat it up. If, God forbid, it's stolen or lost, it's not like I lost an heirloom.

Either of your choices is good. You want a totally reliable gun that will go bang when you need it to. The G23 or a Ruger wheelgun will meet that critical requirement.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

+1 for an SP101. Gun and a couple speedloaders(that stay in the glove box all the time)should do the trick. Good Luck!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Speedloaders NOT the gun stay in the glove box...my context even confused me after rereading it!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

In Washington state, if it's "available" as in not locked up it's considered in possession of anybody you leave in your car when you're not in it. You would be much more advised to get a gun vault for your car.

As for which gun? Just make sure it's one you would trust your life to, because you might just need to.
    For the stength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. - R. Kipling

Romans 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].

A vehicle is easily stolen. Thus, your gun (even if it is in a vehicle "safe") is also too easily stolen.

Rather than a "truck gun" consider a pocket pistol. You can just put it in your pocket without needing to "holster up." It is much more secure than having a weapon in an unattended vehicle.

I nominate the Ruger LCP. Small enough to always have on you.

Please, please, please - do not habitually leave a weapon in an unattended vehicle.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'm going to echo some comments here about not leaving a gun in the truck/car. Maybe you'd be better served with a holster built onto the seat that you can slide your gun in when you're in the vehicle and take it with you in your normal holster when you leave the vehicle. If you need to make a stop where carrying your firearm is a no-no then perhaps like was mentioned, a gun vault. You can discreetly un holster and place your firearm in the box and lock it up securely.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links