Glock 23 FTF... overheating?

This is a discussion on Glock 23 FTF... overheating? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At the range this past weekend my Glock 23 started having problems feeding. It'd stop feeding every few rounds, and jam up. This was close ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 FTF... overheating?

Glock 23 FTF... overheating?

At the range this past weekend my Glock 23 started having problems feeding. It'd stop feeding every few rounds, and jam up. This was close to the end of the range trip. I felt the slide and it seemed well hotter than it should be. I stripped the gun down (ow ow) and let it cool on the bench.

Do you think that the overheating caused the FTF? It's been flawless every other time to the range, and it was perfect up until then.
    Knowing is half the battle.

2. Remove Ads

Check the mag. before you do anything else.
    Thats where most FTFs come from IMO.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

VIP Member
    Factory ammo or re-loads? How many rnds since you last cleaned it?
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

JT
    No, you couldn't shoot it fast enough to cause an over heating problem.

What ammo were you shooting?
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I clean it after every trip to the range, and then occasionally in between (at least once a week, even if I only make it to the range once a month). Remington UMC, factory load.

Check your magazines.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I second that!!

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    No, you couldn't shoot it fast enough to cause an over heating problem.

What ammo were you shooting?
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

I'd also agree on the followers.. There aren't too many things that can really disable a Glock.. Stay safe

Quote Originally Posted by rex03 View Post
    I second that!!
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

Overheating G23

Your problem is probably the Remington UMC. That stuff is pure junk and has malfunctioned or had the entire worse accuracy of any round I have fired out of any gun for a factory load, and it leaves a bunch of crud to clean out too.

The G23 is a .40 cal and pushes the envelope to the breaking point of metal , thus it can get somewhat hot. Don't shoot hand-loads through it unless you load them yourself and start with the minimum load and work up until accurate and "STOP" there.

I know a local police officer that has blown up two of them in his hand from hot hand-loads .
    Problem is they tried to re-invent the .45 bullet to have more in the magazine and same knockdown. A .45 is about 950 feet per second at around 8-10K cup pressure inside the casing when it goes off. The .40 probably travels 1100-1300fps and at factory loading is around 30K cup pressure. Breaking point of most metal occurs around 40K, so a few (I mean maybe 3) xtra grains of powder could wreck the gun.

If you're having overheating problems where none existed before, and malfunctions, you should "stop shooting".
    Glocks just don't jam!
    If it's jamming, something is major wrong. I've seen people shoot 9mm sub-gun ammo by mistake too and could have been wearing the gun had I not told them it shouldn't recoil over your head when you shoot the thing!

Cheap ammo.... Winchester white box or best is probably Sellier & Bellot. Federal is consistant for their loads, primer qualaties and positive ignition. If you're carrying it for self defense, the Hornady Critical Defense is probably the best. Check your clips for bent/cracked feed lips, clean the gun and throw away that Rem UMC junk. I got a box for Christmas one year in .45 and just burned it through the gun to get the brass and reload it. If you can actually hit a B-27 target from 10 foot away with the stuff I would be surprised.

Good luck, happy (safe) shooting, 0
    GS

Pull your magazines out and have a look at the back of them. Near the base and to the right of the "G", if there is a "1" stamped to the barrel then you may want to call Glaock and get them replaced. There is a known issue with the "1" stamped Glock mags. The newest ones have a #8 follower installed and a "2" stamped on the lower right. These seem to have fixed the feeding issues of the Glocks bought and built in 2009.

This particular model would've been built around February of this year, and the magazines are marked with "2".

I usually buy WWB or Federal (easiest to come by usually). I'll make a point not to get the UMC again.

I ran some UMC ammo through my 23 at the range last time. I didn't have any issues, but i did find 1 round where the casing was peeled down, almost like a thin section of a banana peel. Luckily i caught it as i was loading a mag. Can only imagine how that round would have jammed up the gun. I kept that round to remind me NOT to shoot UMC any more.

I've fired a lot of Rem-UMC amm and never had a problem with it. Never in .40, but I doubt that matters much. I'd guess your problem is either magazine or lubrication related.

Or it was just a "stuff happens sometimes" deal. I'd check the magazines, clean the gun and lube it, then go shoot it again. If the problem keeps happening, then I'd worry about it.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I had a box of UMC .44 magnum fired at a 4" target at 15 yards. Good groups with a hell of a muzzle flash and report! I guess that Glock just didn't like UMC ammo.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I have shot plenty of UMC through my G23 and XDsc. Never a problem. I agree that it is less accurate than the higher end ammo but I cut center at 15yards consistantly with the stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links