New XD45c and MKIII, new gun owner (largish pics)

This is a discussion on New XD45c and MKIII, new gun owner (largish pics) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Look at my post count, then notice that only now do I have my first two guns! Yes, it is true, but the day I ...

Look at my post count, then notice that only now do I have my first two guns! Yes, it is true, but the day I have long dreamed of and planned for has finally come true. I am a few days late posting this, but it's all the same.

I apologize for the nasty appearance of both guns, as I took pics of them right out of the box - greasy and all (both brand new). Don't worry, I cleaned them up. Shot them both yesterday, too! They both shoot beautifully.

Before this, I only had experience with another MkIII and a XD9 that I rented a few times from the range. The 45 is quite a bang! At least for me, the newbie . I don't think it is typical of 45, but the PMC ammo I bought from the range was flashing a ring of fire with every round and was more boom than I was expecting. Not a big deal, but quite a change

Sorry about some of the pics. First time taking photos of things in a while. I could've used more light but didn't have any more lamps.

In case you are wondering, the specific model number of the XD45c I purchased was XD9648HCSP06. This is the 4" compact that comes from the factory with night sights. It commands about a $75 premium over the version with the regular 3 dot sights. I figured I might as well front the cash now, so I get an assembly line install and a bit of a cheaper price (I was going on the assumption that installed NS would cost about $90-$100). Since I could never really find many details about those night sights, I've taken several pics close up of the night sights just in case it helps anyone else.

I'm not sure if they're always Trijicons, but that is what I got. Work pretty nicely, at least in the short time I've had with the new gun so far.

Thanks for reading :)

Obligatory "knifes, magazines, and guns" pic

some closeups of the Trijicons

First field strip ever! Very easy! I will avoid the field stripping the MkIII for quite some time, though, based on what I've heard and seen on youtube

my attempt at an artsy shot. I think this is after I cleaned it.

The MkIII. Looked much better after cleaning it up with some CLP. unfortunately, no pics of that!

I wasn't able to get the MkIII with the barrel that I wanted, but really I just wanted an MkIII that wasn't too expensive, and that's what I got!

This is all pretty humble compared to a lot of you here, but I couldn't have gotten this far without ya'll. Gotta start somewhere! :)

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    nice....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

if i had to pick two 1st guns for anyone, those would be the ones. good choice
    great pics as well now have fun!
    Dissasembly of the mkIII isnt too bad, though most likely you will need a rubber mallet, or wrap a towel around the gun and lightly tap it on something to get it apart and back together. reassembly really isnt that bad, you just need to follow isntructions. the instructions in the new books are pretty good if you follow them. my husband got his together on the first try following the correct steps w/o my help :)
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

XD and Ruger

Nice pistols, great choices! You will enjoy both of these pistols. Shoot safe.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

GM
    Nice! Congrats
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Don't be intimidated by disassembling the Ruger. The key is to follow the manual EXACTLY. Don't try it from memory unless you've done it several times.

I know severla folks that have missed one step then gone back to the shop only to have them open the manual and do it step by step.

BTW - Nice set of guns
    Last edited by sinzitu; May 6th, 2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Sinzitu = bad typer

congrats on the new guns. both will serve you well. I'm jealous of your .45 when i bought my XD the compacts weren't out yet...4 months later they were. I love my mark III probably one of my favorite guns to shoot. Definitely the cheapest to shoot

Links