Price on a used .357 S&W Revolver

This is a discussion on Price on a used .357 S&W Revolver within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A long time buddy of mine is parting with some his his gun collection in hopes of buying a new home. I always wanted a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price on a used .357 S&W Revolver

Price on a used .357 S&W Revolver

A long time buddy of mine is parting with some his his gun collection in hopes of buying a new home. I always wanted a .357 and he has one for sale. I will see it tomorrow and I don't know much about it. It was his dads gun and now he's had it for about 15 years. I don't know the model # or anything yet. He sent me 2 pictures of it and it looks like it was kept in pretty good condition. I wouldn't even know what to offer since I really no nothing about revolvers...he said make me an offer...Any round about ideas what I should offer?
    Attached Images
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

2. Remove Ads

That looks like a 681 that S&W made long time ago. If you can talk him into $350-400.00 You will look good. This type of revolver is worth more if he has the box,with instructions,and cleaning tools. Good Luck on it.

From here that does look like a 681 and it appears to be in excellent condition.

You really need to see it in person to gauge it's condition.

In good to great shape $350-$450

In great to like new shape $450-$550

unfired NIB with papers and all $600+

This is only my opinion and what I'd be willing to pay.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

S&W Model 681 recall info?--TheHighRoad.US forum

Firearm Recalls and Safety Warnings- FirearmsID.com

I found some links about a recall on the 681, if it has an "M" over the model # you're good. Otherwise you'll need to get with S&W.
    Contact info is on the second link.
    I'd still buy it, but keep it under $600 IMHO

re

jca's pricing is accurate and what i would pay generally - and yes make sure it has the (M) modified stamp on the frame
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

So, I bought the .357 for $250 and it did have the M over the serial number...Thank you for the info VERY, VERY much guys...it a 581 by the way.

Now for the big purchase...A Winchester 94AE 30-30!!!
    It serial # is 549XXXX, which puts the manufacturing date of 1986. He is the original owner, its never been loaded or fired EVER! I have seen many 94's through the years but none as mint as this. The walnut grain is beautiful and the checkering is amazing. Not any rust anywhere on this thing. Sorry for the crappy pics...I've just been snapping them from my cell phone. Running around my house like a kid at Christmas! Sorry for ranting in excitement, but I'm sure you've all been there!!!!
    Attached Images
    Glock 19 Gen. 4
    Ranger T 127+P+
    Gold Dot 124+P

Quote Originally Posted by sfl1972 View Post
    So, I bought the .357 for $250 and it did have the M over the serial number...Thank you for the info VERY, VERY much guys...it a 581 by the way.

It serial # is 549XXXX, which puts the manufacturing date of 1986. He is the original owner, its never been loaded or fired EVER! I have seen many 94's through the years but none as mint as this. The walnut grain is beautiful and the checkering is amazing. Not any rust anywhere on this thing. Sorry for the crappy pics...I've just been snapping them from my cell phone. Running around my house like a kid at Christmas! Sorry for ranting in excitement, but I'm sure you've all been there!!!!
    [sarcasm]
    I'll forgive you for the crappy pics only if you forward the S&W to me.

See how mad I am?!? [/sarcasm]

Very nice rifle too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    [sarcasm]
    I'll forgive you for the crappy pics only if you forward the S&W to me.

See how mad I am?!? [/sarcasm]

Very nice rifle too.
    DITTO !! Your are one "LUCKY SOB."

Puffer

Beautiful rifle. Must be nice...

I don't throw useful tools on the ground. I wouldn't care if it was my gun or a hammer. I don't see any purpose in possibly causing damage to a piece of steel or plastic that I want to use and expect to function reliably later.

With whatever choice of weapon you have. Treat it with respect. Learn how to use it and how it functions well. Maintain it like fine watch. If you ever need it for real, it will be ready and won't let you down.

Just my 2 cents.

Nice catch! I don't know how common nickel 581s are (assuming it's a factory finish), but I'm guessing not very. You should post your pics in the 1980-Present section on smith-wessonforum.com, those guys could tell you all about it.

I like those grips, too, any idea what kind they are?
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by chezrad View Post
    I don't throw useful tools on the ground. I wouldn't care if it was my gun or a hammer. I don't see any purpose in possibly causing damage to a piece of steel or plastic that I want to use and expect to function reliably later.
    From all the pictures I saw the firearms appear to be on tables, carpets, and being held in the air...

You'd hate to see my old mossberg 500 though with pieces of the stock missing and scratches all over it - fires everytime.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sfl1972 View Post

That 30/30 is the catch of the day partner, never fired, oh yah, that's the ticket there. If you don't mind saying, how much did you get that beauty for?
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Lightning struck twics for you!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

$250...with friends like that...

Nice guns !
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links