Need some advice on home defense gun

This is a discussion on Need some advice on home defense gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently own a stainless S&W .357 with a 4" barrel for my home defense (nightstand) gun. It is very heavy and kicks like a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on home defense gun

Need some advice on home defense gun

I currently own a stainless S&W .357 with a 4" barrel for my home defense (nightstand) gun. It is very heavy and kicks like a mule. I am considering selling it and acquiring a semi-automatic for higher capacity. Also, right now I don't feel comfortable with the wife shooting the .357 for reasons mentioned above, which is another reason I want something different.

I don't have very large hands so I don't think I want a full size and that way the wife will feel more comfortable with it too. My dad has a XD .45 that I can get a pretty good deal in but I'm worried it will still be too much for my wife to handle. What do you guys think?

If I don't go that route, I'm thinking Glock 19 or Glock 23. I like the 23 since it's a .40 and it only holds 2 less than the 19.

Price is somewhat of an issue so I couldn't really look at a Sig etc...

Is there something else out there that I should look at or should I go with the Glock? If it's the Glock, 19 or 23?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'd vote something else, but I am not impressed in any way with Glock.

If you are interested in a Sig, I'd suggest you look at the SP2022 or the P250. Both are polymer, like the Glock. If you like the classic line of Sig pistols, check out the CPO (Certified PreOwned) guns at your local gun store.

All of these will be in a much lower price range than a new Sig Classic.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    I have an M&P 40c and love it. That being said, the 40 is generally considered "snappy" and can be uncomfortable to shoot. My wife does not like shooting my pistol, for instance.

Any reason you're concentrating on handguns for home defense (HD)? I have a Remington 870 12ga for the home defense role, and shotguns in general tend to be the HD gun of choice. Just my one and a half cents.

If you're set on a pistol you might want to check out the M&P line. They have interchangeable back-straps to change the grip size for increased comfort and mine has been rock solid. Comes in 9mm, 40, and 45 among other calibers.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Try a used SIG....or a used Glock...

Try a couple of different guns...find out what fits your hand...what fits your wife's hand...Don't get settled on a brand before trying them all out (I'll admit SIG is better )

But seriously...this is your purchase...you need to get what fits for you (and your wife).

Remember to budget spare mags, ammo, holster(s) and a good belt.

Might I also recommend some training. After all, a gun is not a talisman--wishing away bad things. Marksmanship is good (hand-eye coordination)...knowing how to employ the gun is better (hand-eye coordination + decision-making/self-defense mindset).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

How about just shooting .38 Specials or at most, .38 +P rounds? Those will make a huge difference in recoil and muzzle blast, and you might end up actually enjoying the gun. With proper defensive ammo, the .38 is a proven manstopper, and the weight of a full-size handgun tames the recoil nicely. .38s in my 4" K-frame (S+W 64) recoil far less than the .40s do in my Glock 23.

You might also try different grips on your wheelgun if you've got the original wood ones. Pachmayr and Hogue offer "rubber" grips which make the gun a whole lot more pleasant to shoot. I have a Security Six .357 which was an absolute bear to shoot with its skimpy little wooden stocks. A Hogue Monogrip made all the difference.

Just a couple of low-cost alternatives to replacing what you already have.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Go to Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri. and look at his used Glocks...and Sigs. Great prices and I am sure you will find what you are looking for. Mostly LE trade-ins...carried a lot shot a little. I recomend a Glock 17, or a 19 if your bride cant handle a full size gun.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    How about just shooting .38 Specials or at most, .38 +P rounds? Those will make a huge difference in recoil and muzzle blast, and you might end up actually enjoying the gun. With proper defensive ammo, the .38 is a proven manstopper, and the weight of a full-size handgun tames the recoil nicely. .38s in my 4" K-frame (S+W 64) recoil far less than the .40s do in my Glock 23.

You might also try different grips on your wheelgun if you've got the original wood ones. Pachmayr and Hogue offer "rubber" grips which make the gun a whole lot more pleasant to shoot. I have a Security Six .357 which was an absolute bear to shoot with its skimpy little wooden stocks. A Hogue Monogrip made all the difference.

+1 A box of .38 ammo is a lot cheaper than a new gun.

Plus, .38 shoots a lot softer than most small frame semi autos.

OMO
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

los
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

My sentiments, exactly.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Why use a pistol as a HD gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    I use a pistol for HD because my stairway and hallways are to narrow to maneuver a long gun well.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

RMD
    Quote Originally Posted by golfnutcasey View Post
    I currently own a stainless S&W .357 with a 4" barrel for my home defense (nightstand) gun. It is very heavy and kicks like a mule. I am considering selling it and acquiring a semi-automatic for higher capacity. Also, right now I don't feel comfortable with the wife shooting the .357 for reasons mentioned above, which is another reason I want something different.

I don't have very large hands so I don't think I want a full size and that way the wife will feel more comfortable with it too. My dad has a XD .45 that I can get a pretty good deal in but I'm worried it will still be too much for my wife to handle. What do you guys think?

If I don't go that route, I'm thinking Glock 19 or Glock 23. I like the 23 since it's a .40 and it only holds 2 less than the 19.

Price is somewhat of an issue so I couldn't really look at a Sig etc...

Is there something else out there that I should look at or should I go with the Glock? If it's the Glock, 19 or 23?
    Have your wife try the G19. Reliable, easy to shoot and maintain and can double as a carry piece if you so desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    I've got a toddler in the house and I don't have a full size gun safe. I can keep the pistol on the nightstand in my Gunvault micro safe. Just too much trouble to load and unload the shotgun.

I'll throw another gun in the mix. Smith M&P .40? Thoughts compared to the Glock and XD?

You can't go wrong with a Glock IMHO, however I have another pistol for you to consider, the Kahr CW9 9mm pistol. My wife has latched on to it for a HD handgun because it is lighter and smaller than my Glock 19 and still has mild recoil. I keep it loaded with Speer Gold Dot 115 grain JHPs standard pressure and she has no trouble shooting it. At 15.8 ounces, and around the $400.00 price range plus the 7+1 ammo capacity this little gem just may fill the bill for the both of you.
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by golfnutcasey View Post
    I've got a toddler in the house and I don't have a full size gun safe. I can keep the pistol on the nightstand in my Gunvault micro safe. Just too much trouble to load and unload the shotgun.

I'll throw another gun in the mix. Smith M&P .40? Thoughts compared to the Glock and XD?
    The M&P has better ergos than the other two for most people. The interchangeable backstraps would be a huge plus as it would make it easier for the wife to fit the gun to her hands.

I would also recommend going with 9mm. Cheaper ammo=more practice for the same $=better shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    You can't go wrong with a Glock IMHO, however I have another pistol for you to consider, the Kahr CW9 9mm pistol. My wife has latched on to it for a HD handgun because it is lighter and smaller than my Glock 19 and still has mild recoil. I keep it loaded with Speer Gold Dot 115 grain JHPs standard pressure and she has no trouble shooting it. At 15.8 ounces, and around the $400.00 price range plus the 7+1 ammo capacity this little gem just may fill the bill for the both of you.
    Ha! I already have one! It is my primary EDC gun. Just wanted something with a little more capacity and maybe pop too (hence the .40 caliber idea) for home defense.

I do agree with you on all of the Kahr's benefits though. To me it is the perfect carry gun, small, light, thin, accurate, I could go on and on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links