Creative ways to carry a double stack mag.

This is a discussion on Creative ways to carry a double stack mag. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If any of you have been following my posts for the last couple days you know that I have been seriously considering switching to a ...

Thread: Creative ways to carry a double stack mag.

Creative ways to carry a double stack mag.

If any of you have been following my posts for the last couple days you know that I have been seriously considering switching to a wheel gun for my primary CCW. This is mainly because I have been having a bit of a "crisis of faith" with auto's. There are only 2 manufacturers that make what I consider to me a "Rock solid" auto. That is Glock and Sig. Yes, I know. There are a lot of people out there that own guns by other manufacturers that have never had a single issue with them. I respect that. However for me personally no other (auto) manufacturer inspires faith in me like Glock and Sig do.

In the end I have decided against a wheel gun. While I consider them (generally) more reliable they come with their own set of short comings that I'm not sure I can get used to.

So at this point most people will say "Umm, so carry a Glock or a Sig!" Well, the issue up until now has been vanity. I don't like wearing over sized clothes which I need to conceal a double stack gun and extra mag. Well, I went to the gun store today to look at revolvers and ended up handling a Glock 26. It's the gun I really want but discounted because thickness. I was explaining my issue to the gun store employee he actually brought up a fairly good point. Back when I first tried carrying a double stack in a t-shirt I had a "decent" belt, not a good one. I now have a belt by Carl Colins which is leaps and bound above the Galco I had before. He pulled a fist IWB holster off the shelf, stuck the glock in it and told me to shove it down my pants. Low and behold it was fine with just a t-shirt. With a super tuck it will be perfect. Ok, problem one solved. By a Glock 26 which is really the gun I want anyway.

Problem 2. The mag will still print like crazy on my belt. Now, I would prefer to carry a glock without a reload then carry a single stack auto that I don't have faith in and a spare mag. But, I want to be able to carry a spare mag for the Glock so here's where I need help. How do I carry a spare double stack mag discretely? Keep in mind my clothes fit and buying them a size larger is not a solution I am willing to go with.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

I use just a plain black single mag holder that velcros over the mag for my G19. It looks like its a multitool on my belt, no one is the wiser

Rollo, this is my setup. It's a G27 tho.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Rollo, this is my setup. It's a G27 tho.
    Whats your setup?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Desantis makes pocket holders for mags.

As to the guns being too thick...Good G0D...

I carry 1 extra mag on each ankle at work. I cant for the life of me remember the manufacturer of the ankle magazine rig, but its great. I'll try to find it for ya. Hasnt come loose or interfered in any way when I run etc... Downside is ya kinda have to wear pants. Looks a little odd with shorts LOL

cmb
    Mag in cargo pocket if applicable...

Mag on ankle if applicable...

Mag in front pocket if applicable...

The height of a G26 mage should lend toward carry in any of these locations with the right holsters (might have to use homemade ones)...

could even use knagaroo carry type set up for the mag, not much weight and if needed hopefully by 10-12 rounds you have moved to cover...

Could try one of those holsters which have the mag pouch built in the front Desantis tuck this I think...

I've never found a comfortable way to carry a mag IWB

Have you tried a horizontal mag holder? Safariland and Galco have them. I'm sure others do too.

The Safariland completely covers the magazine. It looks like a slim cell phone case.

The Galco looks like a more traditional retention mag holder, just turned horizontally.

Here's an ankle holster for you mag:

#12 Ankle Double Magazine Carrier

I use a "gerber" multi tool case for my G30 mag.
    even ITWB carry the mag just looks like a gerber out in the open.

Links