Anyone own a Nighthawk GRP1911? Need info and/or direction

This is a discussion on Anyone own a Nighthawk GRP1911? Need info and/or direction within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking into a 5" 1911, I have a Commander with bobtail (Dan Wesson CBOB). I want something nice, something higher end. I like the Nighthawk ...

Thread: Anyone own a Nighthawk GRP1911? Need info and/or direction

Looking into a 5" 1911, I have a Commander with bobtail (Dan Wesson CBOB). I want something nice, something higher end. I like the Nighthawk GRP but can't find many reviews from owners. Is it worth roughly $2300msrp? Is there something else I should be looking at? If you own one what do you like or not like about it and if there's another gun you'd recommend over it please by all means mention it.

Trying not to go over $2600 and don't think I want an Ed Brown. They are a plain jane gun which isn't bad. I'm just looking for something different I guess. I even considered a Kobra carry at one point, but thinking on it and as some people have said to me "you have a CBOB, another bobtailed commander is more of the same even if it is a better pistol". So that got me thinking 5". After looking at an Ed Brown next to a different pistol I decided I just don't really want a Brown because it's plain. I have a plain gun really, the Dan Wesson is pretty clean on the entire slide (no roll marks, no billboards, no front cocking serrations).

This gun would be carried sometimes (think around the house when concealment isn't a concern much) and would be my nightstand gun once it's broken in and reliability tested.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my various 1911 related threads.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I would look at Wilson Combat's line up, To me they offer the very best of everything. They even have a rep on another forum that you can PM freely.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Quote Originally Posted by jca1 View Post
    I would look at Wilson Combat's line up, To me they offer the very best of everything. They even have a rep on another forum that you can PM freely.
    Can they be found for my price limit? I've looked but see $2800+
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I have a Wilson CQB and a Nighthawk PDP on the way. I prefer the Nighthawk but just on very minor touches. The GRP and CQB are basically the same thing. I would, without a doubt, buy a GRP if that's your price range. To save some money, contact George at Gunslinger's. He'll get you an awesome deal and will do 12 month layaway.

I'd go the extra couple hundred and get the PDP or Talon. I've owned a lot of the top tier guns. I just traded an Ed Brown, currently carry the Wilson CQB and have one Nighthawk on order and am ordering another this month after I take care of the Noveske and make sure I like the scallops of the Nighthawk PDP or go back to checkering or stippling for the next one.

Enjoy!

EDIT* If you go over to either of the 1911 forums, you'll find tons of reviews of them.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; May 7th, 2010 at 01:33 AM.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Double post
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I have a Talon II bobtail, a GRP Recon and I have owned a GRP Recon bobtail...all were awsome shooting 1911s. They just seem to melt right into my hand, always go bang, fit and finish are perfect...

Be warned though...I've had Wilsons, Nighthawks, Ed Browns, but I always seem to stick with Nighthawk...the others come and go
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

I've owned a Nighthawk Custom GRPII (Commander length barrel) for about four years. Outstanding workmanship, couldn't ask for better reliability, and it's extremely accurate. Like any all steel 1911 type pistol, these are heavy for their size compared with other (more modern designs).

I carried my GRPII for about 18 months as a LEO, before retiring and the only real problem I had with it was being able to focus properly on the front sight. Initially, I had three dot tritium sights, but because the front post didn't have a white outline around the vial, it was (in effect) all black during daylight hours. My problems were probably accentuated by my (50+ year old) eyes, but I addressed the situation by replacing the old front blade with a Novak gold bead dot and swapping the standard tritium rear sight for a "wide notch" (w/o tritium). For me, it made for a big improvement.

After reading about complaints concerning "poor performance" of the standard finish on Nighthawk pistols, I decided from the start to spend the extra money and have mine finished in "Diamond Black" (DLC). It was a good decision. Even after 18 months of almost daily carry in Kydex and two years of occasional carry in leather, this finish is hardly effected. IMHO, it's worth every penny of the $300+ additional cost. Note: I've heard that Nighthawk has changed their standard finish to improve it's durability, since I bought mine. Perhaps that's true, but I still doubt it's as good as a DLC finish.

If you intend to carry a 1911 type pistol and can afford the price of a high end "semi-custom", the Nighthawk GRP is a fine option. Here's a great place for additional info: http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Well shucks, you guys are selling me on the Nighthawk. I've already spoken to George at MI Gunslingers Just didn't know exactly what I wanted. Now I have more of an idea.

Got a request in for a couple quotes.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Sponsored Links