Finding myself being drawn to wheel guns...

This is a discussion on Finding myself being drawn to wheel guns... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know that much about them. I do own a colt detective special, but want to explore other options as well. Thoughts on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding myself being drawn to wheel guns...

Finding myself being drawn to wheel guns...

I don't know that much about them. I do own a colt detective special, but want to explore other options as well. Thoughts on the following: S&W, Charter Arms, and Ruger. looking forward to your thoughts.

2. Remove Ads

Sp101. It's great for CC and it can handle the hottest loads. Everybody has their opinion of course but I love mine.

Get a GP100 4" and a SP101 snub, both by Ruger.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Depends on your intended usage. To be carried in a pocket, somewhere around 20 ounces loaded weight is the max for all day carry. Revolvers carried in a belt holster can be considerably heavier.

The most popular carry revolver in the country is probably the Smith & Wesson Airweight (aluminum) J-frame in some permutation (442, 637, 642). It is the gold standard for lightweight revolvers. The Scamdium revolvers tend to be too light to do much practice because the recoil is painful.

Charters have had issues in the past, but apparently have tightened up their quality control in the past few years. Some of my students did a 1000 round torture test on a stock Undercover recently and it did fine.

Revolvers are quite capable as defensive weapons. Here's me shooting one at an IDPA match recently. YouTube - IDPA with a snub
    Some drink at the fountain of Knowledge, others just gargle.

re

good place to be drawn to - i'm wheel fan bigtime

sp101 - hard to beat that model
    smith 60pro .357 3" - my carry revolver most of the time shoots great and sweet trigger
    colt detective snub - i have one too-nice for deep conceal
    charter? - not a big fan but never owned one
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    There are many good revolvers out there. It is hard to beat S&W or Colt. I never ever had a problem with a S&W revolver.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    I don't know that much about them. I do own a colt detective special, but want to explore other options as well. Thoughts on the following: S&W, Charter Arms, and Ruger. looking forward to your thoughts.
    Ruger: Great sixguns and fiveguns! When I retire, and no longer have to carry specified .40 autopistols, all of my concealed-carry guns may be Ruger revolvers. My avatar is a 3" GP100 with adjustable sights.

Charter: Ugh. I owned one, briefly. I didn't even shoot it, and traded it away.

S&W: Great revolvers, if one buys them from the good production periods. 1992-1997, more or less, was one of those time periods. Individual guns from the bad times can be great, too, but one really has to know how to examine them. I have handled NEW S&W revolvers that were poorly fitted at some really important points, were already timed badly, or had "lack of carry-up."

As for trigger pull smoothness, some new Rugers now beat your typical new S&W. The MIM small parts in today's S&W revolvers result in shameful pulls compared to what was typical in the mid-1990's, when forged parts were still used. To be clear, I am not worried about the MIM parts exploding or failing catastrophically, it is their roughness I dislike. I didn't get all that upset about the keyholes in the S&W revolvers, because I was already ignoring them due to the MIM parts.
    Last edited by Rexster; May 6th, 2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typos

los
    Sounds like you already have a pretty good carry piece, in the Colt..!

Like other members have recommended, the Ruger SP101 and Smith Centennial variants are exceptional CCWs.

Many others to choose from, as well.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by subcool20 View Post
    Sp101. It's great for CC and it can handle the hottest loads. Everybody has their opinion of course but I love mine.
    +1. I absolutely love mine as well. .357 Magnum, 2" barrel, spurred hammer. Awesome wheel gun!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

i used to have the S&W 340PD. great gun, but 357 out of a lightweight..... ouch! ended up with a 357 gun loaded with 38sp +P.
    sold it and got 2 guns. you live and you learn.....
    Attached Images
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    S&W: Great revolvers, if one buys them from the good production periods. 1992-1997, more or less, was one of those time periods. Individual guns from the bad times can be great, too, but one really has to know how to examine them. I have handled NEW S&W revolvers that were poorly fitted at some really important points, were already timed badly, or had "lack of carry-up."
    I disagree. I find the present to be an excellent production period. I have been more than satisfied with any new S&W that I have owned, shot, or handled.

Of course, any manufacturer can throw out an occasional lemon. Including S&W and Ruger. But overall, I find S&W to be better quality than Ruger, including the new ones being produced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    As for trigger pull smoothness, some new Rugers now beat your typical new S&W. The MIM small parts in today's S&W revolvers result in shameful pulls compared to what was typical in the mid-1990's, when forged parts were still used. To be clear, I am not worried about the MIM parts exploding or failing catastrophically, it is their roughness I dislike. I didn't get all that upset about the keyholes in the S&W revolvers, because I was already ignoring them due to the MIM parts.
    I also disagree on this point. I’ve never seen a stock Ruger that will beat a S&W on trigger pull.
    Last edited by JT; May 7th, 2010 at 09:08 AM. Reason: typo
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I have 2 S&W revolvers and 2 Ruger revolvers...I like them all. All 4 are quality built and the stock triggers are all about the same in terms of weight and smoothness. You can't really go wrong with either one in my opinion. Find a weapon that meets your needs and fits your hands and purpose.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post

...I also disagree on this point. Iíve never seen a stock Ruger that will beat a S&W on trigger pull.
    get ahold of one of these.
    Ruger LCR Double-Action Revolver Models
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    I think the S&W 642 has a better trigger. The LCR may have a lighter trigger, but there is more to trigger pull than weight. The smooth, consistency of the 642 wins out.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    I disagree. I find the present to be an excellent production period. I have bee more than satisfied with any new S&W that I have owned, shot, or handled.

Of course, any manufacturer can throw out an occasional lemon. Including S&W and Ruger. But overall, I find S&W to be better quality than Ruger, including the new ones being produced.

I also disagree on this point. I’ve never seen a stock Ruger that will beat a S&W on trigger pull.
    Agreed

The "best" ruger trigger IMO is in the blackhawk but it is single action.

The GP and SP revolver's triggers seem heavier then the new smiths The DA breaks clean but I felt creep in half the Ruger revolvers I tried in SA. Creep in a revolver's single action is a no no.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post

The LCR triggers I have tried felt spongy. There is no distinguishable difference during the trigger pull and the cams in the action prevent a crisp clean break. Maybe not bad for someone new to revolvers, but for someone who is use to traditional revolver actions... it sucks.

A note about Ruger's revolvers and their heavy and bulky attributes.....
    Ruger uses large cast frames on their revolvers which IMO makes them heavy to carry. It gives the false impression you are getting a big industrial heavy duty revolver when in reality it is because the frames are not forged and have to use thicker metal. A thinner lighter forged frame is just as strong.

The smith featherweights (scandium alloy) in .357 can be difficult to control recoil but it isn't impossible. The hope is to get the most power out of the smallest lightest frame. The featherweight does this very well. A note on Ti cylinders. They are restricted to shooting a bullet 120 grain or heavier this is to reduce cutting on the cylinder face. You should not use any abrasives and the cylinder's life is 5,000 .38 special and 5,000 .357 mag. I own 2 featherweights a 360 and a 340 I use them and would trust my life to them.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links