Need help deciding on most suitable carry 9.

This is a discussion on Need help deciding on most suitable carry 9. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, looking for the gurus' collective help & opinions. First of all I'm a complete noob to the gun world, so my judgement may ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help deciding on most suitable carry 9.

Hey all, looking for the gurus' collective help & opinions. First of all I'm a complete noob to the gun world, so my judgement may be limited to make a decision, so your help is greatly appreciated. To start, I'm a really small guy, 5'4" & 130lbs., so I've limited my choices to subcompacts only and the four that I really like are the: Glock 26, M&P 9c, XD9sc and the Walther P99c. I recently went and rented the first 3 and here's how I feel:
    Glock 26-Most uncomfortable grip of the 3, even using a G19 clip. Grip easily improved & capacity increased with Pearce Grip stuff. Kicks a bit harder than the other two. Unquestionable reliability, parts and accessories availability. Stellar reputation.
    S&W M&P 9c-Most comfortable grip of the three, 12 rd. mag compared to G26's 10rds., Very soft & smooth recoil, good parts/accessories support. My only reservation is the occasional jam I hear/read about. Does anyone know what the 9c's reliability is nowadays? I NEED ultimate reliability (who doesn't?), there are some vicious characters in my city.
    Springfield XD 9sc-Good grip behind the M&P, similar soft recoil, good parts/acc. avail., seems to have a good reliability reputation (anyone had a failure/jam with this gun?), a little blockier than the other two.
    Walther P99c-I didn't shoot this gun, but from what I've read, it seems to be quite reliable, but not 100%, a nice shooter, but only a 10 rd. mag, but full size 15 rd mag can be used which extends the grip by quite a bit which kills the CC purpose. Spotty parts/acc. availability.

So you may notice I didn't comment on the accuracy of any of them. Well, being a novice to shooting, I didn't want to make a judgement there. I shot the Glock the most, toward the end aiming for the head I was probably getting 60% hits there with the rest in the upper body, basically 90-95% hits with the rest flyers.

Well those are the pros & cons I'm working with and would really be happy for your insights. My Ideal? The feel of the M&P in my hand with the reliability of the Glock.

Thanks.

Glock 19 hands down, easy to conceal, reliable, 15 round mag capacity, accurate, you can't go wrong with a proven handgun like the 19

oh yeah the 19 is almost as small as the 26 and it conceals just as easily!

You've done some pretty good research as far as I'm concerned. Nothing wrong with any of those choices. So with that said, I'll just rank them in order of what my preference would be.

No. 1 & 2 = G-26 or XD9sc (tie)
    No. 3 = S&W M&P 9c
    No. 4 = Walther P99c

JMHO
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Kahr CW9, PM9, MK9.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Another vote for the Glock 19.
    But of the four you mentioned I would say you already have them ranked in the correct order. Glock, S&W, Springfield, Walther
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Another G19 fan here. If you have a good belt and holster, it is easily just as concealable as the G26. A lot of people who buy the subcompact Glocks (G26, G27's etc.) end up putting magazine/grip extensions on them, at which point IMO they may as well have bought the compact model (G19, G23 etc.) and got the longer barrel too. But that's just me.

Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I'm going to throw the Ruger hat in to the ring. Your choices are good, and I'm going to add another good choice. The Ruger SR9c. Comes with a 10 round mag and a 17 round sleeved mag. Great trigger and excellent ergonomics. Thin, and lightweight, accurate and reliable, changeable back strap, and an external safety.

At $389 delivered from Bud's, it will not break the bank!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

You have picked the creme of the crop. I say buy the one you like most and feels the best to you and you cant go wrong.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Of the choices listed, I would take the M&P 9C. Of my own accord, I would fill this niche with a Glock 19. It's hard to beat it, in terms of sheer utility. I suppose that, with good carry gear, a person of your stated stature could conceal a Glock 19 sized pistol just fine.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

26 Out of ones you LISTED ;-)
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

CCW 9 Pistol

I have an XD9sc and can say it is a flat little thick brick. Very reliable pistol. Recently I bought a Kahr CW9. Thin, compact, reliable. It is very accurate. You do need to practice with the double action trigger. It is a very good double action striker fired pistol. With 7+1 the pistol weighs 20.5 ounces. It makes a very good carry gun.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Chalk me up for the Glock 19 even though it's not one of the choices. I couldn't be happier with this gun. I'm one of the few who its grip seems to be made for, points exactly where I want it to.

I'm smaller than you (5'1") and I carried a Glock 27 for years. Great gun. I like the Glock 19 even more, but it's not as easy to conceal and carry, especially with 15 rounds.

If you haven't had a chance to shoot the Kahr PM9, I would add that to your list to test. It's 15.9oz. unloaded and under 20oz. loaded. It's also 0.9" wide and very easy to conceal.

I always recommend that once a person has narrowed the field down to a few offerings from major manufacturers with excellent reputations they should go with what fits/feels best for THEM. Do that and it sounds like you've answered your own question: The M&P, based on your statement that you found it to be the most comfortable and soft shooting.

S&W has been making serious inroads into the LE market with the M&P, often taking sales from Glock to do so, you can't do that with an unreliable weapon. (My State Patrol, Washington's, just replaced its HK's with S&W M&P's.)

Go with what feels best to you.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links