Skinny Compact Thin grips for S & W round butt revolver?

This is a discussion on Skinny Compact Thin grips for S & W round butt revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I would like to find some thin replacement grips for my Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Special snubbie revolver. The stock grips on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skinny Compact Thin grips for S & W round butt revolver?

Hello all, I would like to find some thin replacement grips for my Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Special snubbie revolver. The stock grips on it measure 1 and a quarter inches which is too fat for me and also causes the gun to print quite a bit.

I have googled and checked midway along with a dozen other sites. I like the rubber the best. I found some compact grips on ebay but the seller dosent sound as if he knows what he is talking about. Where else could I check for thin grips?

Try S&W web site, click on Firearms Accessories, there is a catagory for grips. It looks like they had some small J frame grips.

Try Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes — MidwayUSA, they have a lot of different grips for the S&W J frame revolvers. Click on gunsmithing and under that click on grips.

Whoops, I reread your post and see that you have done that already. Have you tried Eagle grips? They also may have what you are looking for and they are at www.eaglegrips.com
    God bless our troops!

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Check out Hogue bantam grips. They are 1 piece and require no hardware to install. Snap on and done. Very compact and comfy to shoot too.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    Check out Hogue bantam grips. They are 1 piece and require no hardware to install. Snap on and done. Very compact and comfy to shoot too.
    Thanks I checked out their ultra compact grips and sent them a message because they show a pistol with full size grips S&W J Frame Round Butt Rubber Bantam Style grip [61000] - $24.95 : Hogue Inc., The Best Value In Handgun Grips, Rifle Stocks and Accessories - Bar None!

Quote Originally Posted by crzy4guns View Post
    Try Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes MidwayUSA, they have a lot of different grips for the S&W J frame revolvers. Click on gunsmithing and under that click on grips.

Whoops, I reread your post and see that you have done that already. Have you tried Eagle grips? They also may have what you are looking for and they are at Hand Gun Grips, Gun Handles, Pistol Grip from Eagle Grips - Eagle Grips Inc.
    Thanks for the reply. I didnt see anything there Grips in this section fit S&W Round Butt J Frame Models 30 - 34, 36 - 39, 43, 51 - Eagle Grips Inc.

I checked midway again and they have compac grips but I dont think they are compact. I sent them an email. Thanks for the link.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    Thanks I checked out their ultra compact grips and sent them a message because they show a pistol with full size grips S&W J Frame Round Butt Rubber Bantam Style grip [61000] - $24.95 : Hogue Inc., The Best Value In Handgun Grips, Rifle Stocks and Accessories - Bar None!
    For what hogue lacks in website the more then make up for in product quality.

If you want to see a bantam grip on a jframe...

There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I didn't care for the size, look, or sticky texture of the factory provided Uncle Mike's grips on the Model 642 I bought in 1998 so I installed some older factory J-Frame walnut grips that came from a 1970s-1980s gun. They are less bulky and don't cling to fabric. The revolver is a bit more punishing to shoot but it is still manageable.

Since the photo was taken, a Tyler T-Grip has been added which was obtained from a kind Forum member here. It aids in comfort and control without adding anything to the width of the revolver.

I second the Hogues thats what I have on my Taurus CH85 and they DONT print(IWB carry in a leather holster) and really help eat up recoil for practice.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I have the Hogue Monogrips on several of mine, and I think they grip well and don't print....I use them on some of my J-frames, and usually have them in my Nemesis pocket holster....never a problem.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post
    I second the Hogues thats what I have on my Taurus CH85 and they DONT print(IWB carry in a leather holster) and really help eat up recoil for practice.
    Can you tell me what the thickness is? My stock grips measure about 1 and an eighth of an inch.
    Last edited by jimtem; May 8th, 2010 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I didn't care for the size, look, or sticky texture of the factory provided Uncle Mike's grips on the Model 642 I bought in 1998 so I installed some older factory J-Frame walnut grips that came from a 1970s-1980s gun. They are less bulky and don't cling to fabric. The revolver is a bit more punishing to shoot but it is still manageable.

I got an email back from customer service and these are the exact grips they recommend.

4-words for ya!

wooden grips, sand paper!

What bmcgilvray said

I snapped a couple of new photos of the Model 642 after we returned from town, participating in a cancer walk and doing some necessary running around.

The Model 642 easily slips in a jeans pocket, snug in a De Santis Nemesis or Mika holster. These factory checkered walnut grips when combined with the Tyler T-Grip work well on this revolver for both my wife and I. Stoked with the simple thumping goodness of Winchester +P 158 Grain SWC-HPs, it is a good choice for discreet carry in Texas this time of year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links