Moving to Puerto Rico

This is a discussion on Moving to Puerto Rico within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Madeyefergy Thanks for all that info. Just one thing, I hope you are wrong about "be resident of Puerto Rico for two ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by Madeyefergy View Post
    Thanks for all that info. Just one thing, I hope you are wrong about "be resident of Puerto Rico for two years prior to filing your application"?

That would really put me in a bad situation. I only plan on being there 2 - 3 years. I guess I will have to pray that I will never need to use it as I will be damned if I will be unprotected there for 2 years.

Even then, if the prices are right, I could almost buy a home for what they want for a CCW.
    If you choose to go through this process, please keep us informed on how you went about in doing it.

I have family in Puerto Rico and I've yet to figure this out.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

2. Remove Ads

Will do
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: Psalm 111:10

Thanks for all that info. Just one thing, I hope you are wrong about "be resident of Puerto Rico for two years prior to filing your application"?

That would really put me in a bad situation. I only plan on being there 2 - 3 years. I guess I will have to pray that I will never need to use it as I will be damned if I will be unprotected there for 2 years.

Even then, if the prices are right, I could almost buy a home for what they want for a CCW.
    There is no legal requirement to be down here for X amount of time before actually requesting/obtaining a firearms license/carry permit. If someone tells you that, ask them to provide statute/regulation reference. PR State Police, Courts and Gun Stores are known to make stuff up all the time. Take a look at a previous post I made. Most code links there have gone bad, but the POCs to the PR State Police are still good.

Here are the main law links (again - they should be good for a few weeks):

25 LPRA Sec 456a

25 LPRA Sec 456d

25 LPRA Sec 457c

25 LPRA Sec 457d

25 LPRA Sec 460

12 LPRA Sec 107k

You can start networking with most of us down here in Puerto Rico at this website.

Let me know via PM if you need an attorney, as I do some paralegal work for a friend of mine whenever he runs into firearms law issues. I'm certain he'll represent you at pretty much anywhere in the Island for a decent fee (you request your carry permit at the judicial district where you live [there are 13] or in San Juan [Court's HQ]).

You need to request your PR firearms license ASAP. The carry permit process can be done down range in weeks, the actuall license is the one that takes forever, so get in gear Trooper.

By the way, I also carry a 1911. Get yourself a Safepacker with a shoulder strap and you'll be fine.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    I'd probably hire a lawyer who deals with permits just to make sure all the paperwork gets done correctly.

Puerto Rico...

What requirements do I have to meet to qualify for a new gun permit?
    New Gun Permits (50 bullets a year, 2 handguns only) $260 Requirements:
    • Internal Revenue stamp: $100.00
    • Notarized application form: $25.00
    • Three sworn statements from people who have no blood or affinity relationship with the petitioner: ($25.00 each) $75.00
    • Two 2x2 photos taken no earlier than 30 days before filing the application form. Use of articles or garments or jewelry that interfere with your identification are not allowed: $5.00
    • Photocopies, envelope and postage stamp service: $5.00
    Federation Stamp: $25.00 (You must purchase it to enroll as a Federation member.)
    Fee for new applications: $25.00.

The applicant must:
    • Get certificate of a good conduct
    • Have ASUME (Tel. 787-767-1500 extensions 2727 or 2726) certify that there are no outstanding issues.
    • Visit the closest Police Headquarters with all forms already filled out, have fingerprints taken, and file all documents at the Gun Registry Department.

To have a license to do target practice, what do I need to do?
    Target Shooting Category (Unlimited munitions per year and unlimited number of firearms)
    License Conversion $196.00
    Requirements (Total amount may vary because of a $1.00 stamp and federation stamp)
    One $50.00 stamp • One $1.00 stamp for each registered firearm
    • Notarized application: $25.00
    Federation stamp: $5.00 each since expiration; one stamp per year until they all fall under one stamp per year
    • Two 2x2 photos taken no earlier than 30 days before filing your application: $5.00
    Photocopies, envelope, postage stamp service with delivery to the police station: $20.00. Without delivery: $5.00
    Club membership: $100.00 (It must be maintained every year. Failure to comply will mean automatic cancellation of shooting permit.)

What do I need to do to have a valid gun permit ?
    Category Change
    Requirements: Have a valid gun permit.
    Target shooting:
    Federation stamp: $25.00 One $25.00 stamp
    Sworn statement: $25.00 $120.00 with delivery / $105.00 without delivery
    • One $20.00 stamp
    • Two 2x2 photos taken no earlier than 30 days before filing the application form: $5.00
    • Photocopies, envelope, postage stamp service with delivery to the police station: $20.00. Without delivery: $5.00.

What are the requirements to have a permit that allows me to carry a firearm?
    Carrying Permit Requirements: $766.50
    • To legally carry a gun in Puerto Rico, you must have a permit. To qualify for this permit, you must be older than 21 years of age and be resident of Puerto Rico for two years prior to filing your application;
    • You must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident;
    You must have a certification bearing your employer’s company seal, describing your job and itemizing your duties including the fact you carry valuables, money and goods at all times, day and night, to and from different locations throughout the Island;
    • You must not be under any court order prohibiting you from harassing, spying, threatening or come near a sentimental partner, any of the children of said partner or anyone else; and not having a history of violence;
    • You must provide a copy of original seal stamped on last year’s tax return;
    • You must provide a copy of firearms license;
    • You must provide a negative certification of criminal background;
    • You must provide a negative certification from ASUME;
    • You must have a certificate showing you have taken the firearms use and handling course;
    $266.50 in Internal Revenue stamps (includes: Filing: $12.00, resolution, and a certified copy of the resolution);
    • A $250.00 stamp for the Police Superintendent Office;
    $500.00 if filed in the San Juan, Carolina, Guaynabo, Bayamón, and Caguas Courts.

Note the above highlighted quote "be resident of Puerto Rico for two years prior to filing your application."

bosco
    Just some FYI.

Stuff in bold/italics is either wrong, made up, an attoney's/gun store quote for his/her/their services, or old PR State Police/Courts website info.

To be fair, BOSCO is just probably posting the info as a reference to help out.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Just some FYI.

Stuff in bold/italics is either wrong, made up, an attoney's/gun store quote for his/her/their services, or old PR State Police/Courts website info.

To be fair, BOSCO is just probably posting the info as a reference to help out.
    It is the from La Armeria Metropolitana which is the oldest gun shop in Puerto Rico, and presently the largest in the Caribbean Region, and Central and South America.

It would be great if the information on their website could be corrected and the actual requirements for pistol ownership was posted by someone in the know ie. someone in Puerto Rico...
    Not a complete list of laws and regs, but a simple guide with information such as:

May issue vs shall issue,
    Need for a lawyer,
    Fees,
    General rules for different permits (if there are different permits),
    etc.

bosco

It is the from La Armeria Metropolitana which is the oldest gun shop in Puerto Rico, and presently the largest in the Caribbean Region, and Central and South America.

It would be great if the information on their website could be corrected and the actual requirements for pistol ownership was posted by someone in the know ie. someone in Puerto Rico...
    Not a complete list of laws and regs, but a simple guide with information such as:

Need for a lawyer,
    Fees,
    etc.

bosco
    Yeah, its probaly the old law info (new firearms law went into effect in 2000), wich was more oriented towards business owners requesting a carry permit.

Gun stores down here tend not to deal much with their website, or exploit out of state commerce.

Need for a lawyer,
    Fees,
    etc.

bosco
    As soon as I go thru the process, I will post it. I’ll try to include all the info possible. This has been a stress for me so anything I can do to help others will not be any trouble. Everyone here has been very helpful and I would like to return the favor.

My recommendation is to look for a lawyer ASAP. He will help you on the process. If you came to PR go to an Gun Shop and complete their membership. They also can help you on the process. I wait for my permit about 140 days.

In which city or area will you live? Some parts of the island are more dangerous than others.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

GM
    I really wish you all well in Puerto Rico!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by dpastrana View Post
    My recommendation is to look for a lawyer ASAP. He will help you on the process. If you came to PR go to an Gun Shop and complete their membership. They also can help you on the process. I wait for my permit about 140 days.
    140 days is way too long. I understand they are anti-gun, but to wait over 4 months is absurd! Might as well make it that no guns allowed, except for the Bad Guys.

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    In which city or area will you live? Some parts of the island are more dangerous than others.
    I will be living in the Rio Grande area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links