Moving to Puerto Rico

Moving to Puerto Rico

This is a discussion on Moving to Puerto Rico within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be moving to Puerto Rico in a month and I have a few questions that I hope could be answered here. A little ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Moving to Puerto Rico

I will be moving to Puerto Rico in a month and I have a few questions that I hope could be answered here. A little background info might be helpful.

I am an ex-82nd Airborne Infantry trooper and enjoy shooting very much. I have my CCW in Florida and carry my 1911A1. Puerto Rico does not recognize any other CCW so I will have to get theirs as soon as I land there. I have talked to a few guns shops there and they all recommend that I get a lawyer because getting a CCW there is a pain.

I will be traveling a lot all over the island and being that it is always hot there (hotter than Orlando), I will be mostly in shorts and jeans. Being that the 1911A1 is to large and heavy to carry concealed in shorts, I have decided to carry a small revolver so I can keep it in my pocket all the time. I have tested many small revolvers and have settled on the Ruger LCR with CT laser grips. My questions are,

• How well will the LCR handle the constant moister it will be subjected to? I am not worried about maintaining it like new, but I am worried about it working when I need it.

• Will the heavy moister affect or damage the CT laser grips?

• Which pocket carry holster should I look at? I will be getting wet a lot from sweat and rain.

• How good are the pocket holsters? Is it worth having one? Will it protect the CT laser grips?

Puerto Rico crime rate is very high and I plan on staying out of trouble but I also plan on having my LCR with me 24/7. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you.
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: Psalm 111:10

You will be great with that gun... One of our Lt's at work is originally from there and I asked hm this question he said that your choice would be a good one as far as the gun and the laser. I may look into IWB instead of pocket carry though unless your used to pocket carry...I tried it and never could get used to it/like it.

I will look into the IWB. I guess I will have my t-shirt out of my shorts rather than tucked in

I never tuck anything in ive never found the need to :)

The crime rate is high but a lot of it is drug dealers fighting for their territory.

If you figure out how to get a CCW there, please let me know. I've been trying to figure how to do it myself.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

There is hardly any info of how to on the web. I contacted a few gun shops there and they told me that the best way to get your CCW is to get a lawyer to help you. I was also told it will not be cheap, costing about $1,000 for license and lawyer fees.
    Sad thing also is that once you have it you must renew or you forfeit your weapons! I plan being on the island for 2-3 years only and I can assure you that I will be carrying 24/7.

As for crime mostly coming from drug dealers, yea maybe, but is that not what is also happening in Mexico. Seem like a lot of innocent bystanders are being killed also.

These are the links to some info about carrying in PR.
    Puerto Rico Concealed Carry Permit Information
    http://www.leydearmas.com/docs/travelersguide-pr.pdf

I have pocket carried a LCR for about a year. In winter when I am in Overalls, it is my choice. Now in Texas heat I carry it in cargo shorts and it works fine. I still carry 1911 commander when in jeans or dress pants.

I get sweat sawdust and dirt in my cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holster, I clean the Ruger and vaccum the "stuff" Best of luck in PR

If you are comfortable with the 1911, consider a PagerPal. MANY don't like it. I carry a Para Ord P12 every day with it and love it. Can do it in shorts as long as they have a belt. Shirt can stay tucked in and there is no need to keep it bloused like with an IWB so you don't print.

Very few of the LEOs I know have ever made me even when I have asked them where my pistol is: not the expected place to carry and if you dress around it (no skin tight jeans), no one is the wiser.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

I'm from Puerto Rico and yes you should contact a Lawyer. The Gun Shops can contact one for you. The process will take at least 120 Days. I know is ridiculous. Their are 3 types of arm "License":
    a. Carrying a Weapon.
    b. Possetion of a Weapon. (the first one)
    c. Target Practice. (you need to ask for this one to).

Feel free to contact me.
    This link will show you the law.
    http://www.leydearmas.com/docs/law404-weapons.pdf

120 days! Ridiculous is not the right word.

Quote Originally Posted by dpastrana View Post
    I'm from Puerto Rico and yes you should contact a Lawyer. The Gun Shops can contact one for you. The process will take at least 120 Days. I know is ridiculous. Their are 3 types of arm "License":
    a. Carrying a Weapon.
    b. Possetion of a Weapon. (the first one)
    c. Target Practice. (you need to ask for this one to).

Feel free to contact me.
    This link will show you the law.
    http://www.leydearmas.com/docs/law404-weapons.pdf
    How much did it cost you?

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

puerto rico has a LOT of crime. i'd carry something more than a subcom .380. my buddy is a former policeman from there. that's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    puerto rico has a LOT of crime. i'd carry something more than a subcom .380. my buddy is a former policeman from there. that's just me though.
    Yep, and the OP isn't going to carry one either. He's getting a Ruger LCR. It's a .38 Spl revolver.

Btw... what is the likelihood of being denied your permit even with the help of an attorney?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'd probably hire a lawyer who deals with permits just to make sure all the paperwork gets done correctly.

Puerto Rico...

What requirements do I have to meet to qualify for a new gun permit?
    New Gun Permits (50 bullets a year, 2 handguns only) $260 Requirements:
    • Internal Revenue stamp: $100.00
    • Notarized application form: $25.00
    • Three sworn statements from people who have no blood or affinity relationship with the petitioner: ($25.00 each) $75.00
    • Two 2x2 photos taken no earlier than 30 days before filing the application form. Use of articles or garments or jewelry that interfere with your identification are not allowed: $5.00
    • Photocopies, envelope and postage stamp service: $5.00
    • Federation Stamp: $25.00 (You must purchase it to enroll as a Federation member.)
    • Fee for new applications: $25.00.

The applicant must:
    • Get certificate of a good conduct
    • Have ASUME (Tel. 787-767-1500 extensions 2727 or 2726) certify that there are no outstanding issues.
    • Visit the closest Police Headquarters with all forms already filled out, have fingerprints taken, and file all documents at the Gun Registry Department.

To have a license to do target practice, what do I need to do?
    Target Shooting Category (Unlimited munitions per year and unlimited number of firearms)
    License Conversion $196.00
    Requirements (Total amount may vary because of a $1.00 stamp and federation stamp)
    • One $50.00 stamp
    • One $1.00 stamp for each registered firearm
    • Notarized application: $25.00
    • Federation stamp: $5.00 each since expiration; one stamp per year until they all fall under one stamp per year
    • Two 2x2 photos taken no earlier than 30 days before filing your application: $5.00
    • Photocopies, envelope, postage stamp service with delivery to the police station: $20.00. Without delivery: $5.00
    • Club membership: $100.00 (It must be maintained every year. Failure to comply will mean automatic cancellation of shooting permit.)

What do I need to do to have a valid gun permit ?
    Category Change
    Requirements: Have a valid gun permit.
    Target shooting:
    • Federation stamp: $25.00
    • One $25.00 stamp
    • Sworn statement: $25.00 $120.00 with delivery / $105.00 without delivery
    • One $20.00 stamp
    • Two 2x2 photos taken no earlier than 30 days before filing the application form: $5.00
    • Photocopies, envelope, postage stamp service with delivery to the police station: $20.00. Without delivery: $5.00.

What are the requirements to have a permit that allows me to carry a firearm?
    Carrying Permit Requirements: $766.50
    • To legally carry a gun in Puerto Rico, you must have a permit. To qualify for this permit, you must be older than 21 years of age and be resident of Puerto Rico for two years prior to filing your application;
    • You must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident;
    • You must have a certification bearing your employer’s company seal, describing your job and itemizing your duties including the fact you carry valuables, money and goods at all times, day and night, to and from different locations throughout the Island;
    • You must not be under any court order prohibiting you from harassing, spying, threatening or come near a sentimental partner, any of the children of said partner or anyone else; and not having a history of violence;
    • You must provide a copy of original seal stamped on last year’s tax return;
    • You must provide a copy of firearms license;
    • You must provide a negative certification of criminal background;
    • You must provide a negative certification from ASUME;
    • You must have a certificate showing you have taken the firearms use and handling course;
    • $266.50 in Internal Revenue stamps (includes: Filing: $12.00, resolution, and a certified copy of the resolution);
    • A $250.00 stamp for the Police Superintendent Office;
    • $500.00 if filed in the San Juan, Carolina, Guaynabo, Bayamón, and Caguas Courts.

Note the above highlighted quote "be resident of Puerto Rico for two years prior to filing your application."

bosco

Thanks for all that info. Just one thing, I hope you are wrong about "be resident of Puerto Rico for two years prior to filing your application"?

That would really put me in a bad situation. I only plan on being there 2 - 3 years. I guess I will have to pray that I will never need to use it as I will be damned if I will be unprotected there for 2 years.

Even then, if the prices are right, I could almost buy a home for what they want for a CCW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links