Glock 36 Questions

Glock 36 Questions

This is a discussion on Glock 36 Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So for about the past week I have been going back in fourth between guns. I had finally decided on a revolver and then after ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 36 Questions

Glock 36 Questions

So for about the past week I have been going back in fourth between guns. I had finally decided on a revolver and then after seriously considering (What I consider to be the down falls) I decided against it. I was then going to go with the Glock 26. Then I reminded myself how much I liked carrying my PT145 just because I really like carrying a .45. I also re-read my thread on .357 saw again the post by Los suggesting the Glock 36 and me shooting that idea down because of the thickness.

Well, I was wrong. I was confused between the 36 and the 30. It's not as thick as I thought it was and so far it fills my criteria for what I want in my carry pistols.

Fairly thin at 1.13 inches thick.

Big bullet - .45

Fairly Light at 26 oz's

A top tier manufacturer - It's a Glock.

99.9 percent reliability - Ehhh, ok. This is where it gets a bit complicated for me. I know from a technical standpoint a .36 is as rock solid as a gun is going to get. However from a human standpoint I have heard they can be pretty sensitive to limp wristing. I know the easy solution to this problem is simply "Don't limp wrist it" but in a high stress life threatening situation I never know. I may be injured/in a great deal of pain / only have the use of one hand, etc. I don't want a gun that is finicky on the way I'm holding it.

So, Glock 36 owners. What's the lowdown with limp wristing a 36? Is it THAT sensitive to it? I admit, even though I don't trust my pt145 mainly because it's a Taurus I could limp wrist or thumb ride the slide all day and it would keep on chugging.

On a side note, Hows the recoil?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

a friend of mine has one he needs a mag+1 extender to fit his hand and my hand to hope this helps ps that is glock 36
    NRA LIFE MEMBER SCOPE MEMBER

I just picked up mine today!!!
    Still need to give it a run with a couple of hundred rounds before I can talk about it. It feels great in my hand though...
    Bought it because my G30 (EDC) is sometimes too thick for deep concealment.

I sure do like mine!!!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

I got rid of a KelTec PF9 and a Taurus 745 due to numerous FTF/FTE issues; both of which were described to me as "limp wrist" issues.

Replaced those with a G26 and a G36: I cannot FORCE these to fail. Approx. 500 rounds through each with not one issue, they eat any ammo I've found.

My only auto which I CAN force to fail is my LCP; each failure is an incredibly accurate shot using extreme light grip followed by a stovepipe failure. I have not had a limp wrist issue with my G17, BHP, PPK, 1911's or any other auto.

Now I'm saving for the G30.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't feel that a G30 is any harder to conceal than a G36 under a shirt, but if thinner is better for you, go for it. I prefer the extra rounds over the fraction of an inch in width.

Here's one for you, get a G30 and slap a G36 slide on it. It works, and you get the best of both worlds.

I think the G36 is no more subseptable to the limpwrist than any other semiauto. I limpwristed my G30 once, on the second mag I fired. Hadn't fired a semi in nearly 40 years, so I wasn't surprised. It hasn't done it since. Me bad; Glock good!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I own two Glock 36s. Both have been absolutely flawless. I ended up giving one to my son, and now it is his CCW.

I have tried limp wristing them, but the guns still fired and fed perfectly. It's a great carry gun.

The twins:

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't feel that a G30 is any harder to conceal than a G36 under a shirt, but if thinner is better for you, go for it. I prefer the extra rounds over the fraction of an inch in width.

Here's one for you, get a G30 and slap a G36 slide on it. It works, and you get the best of both worlds.

I think the G36 is no more subseptable to the limpwrist than any other semiauto. I limpwristed my G30 once, on the second mag I fired. Hadn't fired a semi in nearly 40 years, so I wasn't surprised. It hasn't done it since. Me bad; Glock good!
    When I was about 60 pounds heavier I agreed with you. I could conceal my PT145 (1.27 inches thick) without problem. As I lost weight I found myself not wanting to wear baggy clothes anymore. My PT145 concealed fine under a XL T-shirt but printed pretty heavily under a large. While a quarter or even tenth of a inch doesn't sound like very much it makes a huge difference to someone like me that doesn't want to buy their clothes a size bigger. The attached picture does a good job of showing the difference.
    Attached Images
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I've had my G36 since January and have carried it everyday since. I've put close to 2500 rounds through it so far and I haven't noticed any problems with limp wristing. My wife and son both shoot it as well and not once have they had a problem with limp wristing.

I'll tell you a something stupid I did while shooting it a few weeks back. I was doing some drills and had fired a shot, then relaxed my wrist to drop the barrel down a bit so I could take a look downrange. I had forgotten to take my finger off of the trigger and you of course can guess what happened a few seconds later. I accidentally let a round off down range. It was an absolute suprise and I was most definetly limp wristing it at the time. It fire like it was supposed to and didnt even jam. Of course, I felt like a complete idiot after I did this but it did answer the limp wristing question for me. BTW, downrange was absolutely clear, in fact I was shooting up in the mountains by myself that day with not a soul around.

Since throwing a lot of lead down range in the G36, I've found mine doesnt like PMC ammo. It jams like crazy but then again it may have been a bad batch of ammo made on a Friday afternoon. I like to shoot HSM practice rounds but I'll get a stove pipe maybe every 100 rounds or so with that ammo. Mostly I shoot Winchester 230-gr FMJ and I've never had any jams with that. For CCW I carry Corbon 185-gr +P JHP.

To answer your question about recoil, it does take some getting used to in the beginning but you quickly get used to it especially if you're an experienced shooter. As for when I shoot the Corbon's, the recoil is a lot more then with the practice ammo but it is managable.

Hope this info helps some.

VIP Member
    Rollo,

I can only tell you what I have experienced with mine. No, it is not "easy" to limp-wrist a 36 if you have a proper grip. The problems I have witnessed was in newer shooters not gripping tight enough. It has a tendency to "walk" out of the hand during strings of fire. If the grip is not tight, after a few rounds are fired the shooter will be gripping too low and a limp-wrist situation is experienced.
    Both times this happened I quickly corrected them and they had no more trouble.

If a thin, compact .45 is where you want to go, then I, personally, wouldn't go with anything else.

Good luck!
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf87 View Post

Since throwing a lot of lead down range in the G36, I've found mine doesnt like PMC ammo. It jams like crazy but then again it may have been a bad batch of ammo made on a Friday afternoon. I like to shoot HSM practice rounds but I'll get a stove pipe maybe every 100 rounds or so with that ammo. Mostly I shoot Winchester 230-gr FMJ and I've never had any jams with that. For CCW I carry Corbon 185-gr +P JHP.
    A stove pipe every 100 rounds with one type of ammo and jamming like crazy with another type is not giving me faith in the glock rock solid dependability. Part of the reason I am buying a Glock is that (At least the models I have researched) eat anything including crayons if you can find a way to get them in the mag. This may not be the gun for me.

Rollo, I know exactly what you're saying. That's why I'm glad to find out what type of ammo this gun doesnt like to eat while on the range. Of course, HSM and PMC are reloads and I don't have 100% confidence in carrying that ammo anyways. However, once you start using factory ammo like I do from Winchester or Corbon, I've never had a jam, not even once. So with this information for me, it's not the gun but the ammo that's put into it. This is the reason why you need to take it out and fire every type of ammo you can get your hands on to see if there will be any issues with any brand.

I have absolute faith in this gun and would let my life depend on it while loaded with my CCW ammo. If all I could afford was the cheap reloads to carry, then I'd be nervous carrying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf87 View Post
    Rollo, I know exactly what you're saying. That's why I'm glad to find out what type of ammo this gun doesnt like to eat while on the range. Of course, HSM and PMC are reloads and I don't have 100% confidence in carrying that ammo anyways. However, once you start using factory ammo like I do from Winchester or Corbon, I've never had a jam, not even once. So with this information for me, it's not the gun but the ammo that's put into it. This is the reason why you need to take it out and fire every type of ammo you can get your hands on to see if there will be any issues with any brand.

I have absolute faith in this gun and would let my life depend on it while loaded with my CCW ammo. If all I could afford was the cheap reloads to carry, then I'd be nervous carrying it.
    Fair enough and makes sense. I apologize, I didn't know those were reloads. Yeah, jams with reloads are bound to happen every once awhile. As long as you've never got one with factory ammo that's good enough for me.

On a side note, How many extra mags do you carry? If any.

I only carry one extra mag with me. I'm not the type that feels I need to have a lot of rounds on me. 13 rounds is just fine for my everyday carry. But the magazines are small enough that if you were to carry 2 extra mags, it wouldn't be that much of a difference.

I own a Glock 36 and find it is an absolute excellent gun for carry and defense. Not finicky at all but does have a little kick with full power loads. I'm not recoil shy so I don't care. My 36 and a spare mag resides in a safe in the vehicle and is always there on standby in an emergency.

My advice ? Run good ammo. Don't use cheap junk ammo but if you do, don't be suprised if you have a problem. Good ammo works good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links