Glock Night Sites or XS Big Dots

This is a discussion on Glock Night Sites or XS Big Dots within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have decided to purchase a Glock 36 and am wondering about sights. I have never used either the glock nite sites or the XS ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have decided to purchase a Glock 36 and am wondering about sights. I have never used either the glock nite sites or the XS big dots. I've seen the XS in pictures and they seem like they would be very fast to acquire a sight picture but probably not as good for precision shooting. I can't seem to find a picture of the Glock factory night sights. Over all for a defensive "fighting pistol" which do you recommend/prefer?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Take a look at the XS sights using the small front sight. Thats what I have on my 1911.

It works a little better for target use.
    Attached Images
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Since I'm now middle age and wearing bifocals, I decided to try the XS Big Dot tritiums on my XD9sc.

I gotta say, I love them. For defensive shooting they are to bomb! I decided to give it a try after reading that the human eye aligns a vertical sight arrangement quicker than a horizontal alignment.

Well, it takes a little bit of time to get used to the new set up, but I have to say, they are lightning fast now. Just dot the i and you're good to go. Up close at less than 15 - 20 feet, just put the front dot on center mass and start blasting.

I plan on putting them on a couple other guns as well.

I will say, if you decide to go with a traditional 3 dot night sight. Be sure and go for the two color version with a yellow front sight and green dots on the rear.

Again with middle aged eyes and in low light situations, it's pretty easy to light up the front dot to either the far left or the far right instead of having the front sight "bracketed" by the two rear dots.

Having a contrasting color on the front sight makes it a no brainer and saves a lot of time.

JMHO, YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I have the factory night sights on mine, and they work very well...I do like the XS though.....and may put them on one of my revolvers.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

USCG Veteran
    NRA Life Member

XS I had that on my Glock 23 till the front sight fell off and never was to be found again :) . great close in sight, perfect for a combat handgun out to 15-20 yds at most.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have XS big dots on my G26 and they are the perfect match for a close encounter handgun like the G26.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

No experience with the XS sights or whatever, but being a fan of Meprolight brand NS, I do like the Glock brand NS after getting my wife her G26 with front night site only. I likes it alot even if it's for her. IMO, order your G36 with factory night sights and you'll be more than happy, and you'll likely come out with more change in your pocket as opposed to buying aftermarket NS and having them installed. In the future, I'll probably go with the Glock brand NS from the factory when I order a new Glock pistol.

I'm a fan of Warren 2 dot sights or 10-8 performance sights myself. I find the u notch makes it easier to quickly center the front sight.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I first ordered a set of XS sights for a full-sized SIG P220 that was my primary IDPA gun. So, this means not only close, fast shooting but also precision shots out to 20yds every now and again (and at one state match, 35yds!).

I liked the setup so much---I really pick up vertical sights faster than 3-dots---that I ordered some more for another couple of SIGs. This is when I realized that while I thought I had ordered standard size dots for the first gun, in fact when the new order showed up I realized my original P220 sights were big dots!

Anyway, that P220 still wears big dots, and now my P239, P226, and another P220 wear standard dots. Yes, I think the standard dots are a bit better for precision shooting, but my PA State performance shows me that I can put every shot on a cardboard torso at 35yds even with the big dot.

I think you need to try them, at least, for a little while. You will quickly find out if vertical sights work better for you than horizontal; if that does apply to you, you'll love the XS sights!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I have the Glock Night Sights on my G23. I am very happy with them, and recommend them if you can get them from the factory.
    Knowing is half the battle.

XS Big Dots on my XD45C and I shoot very accurate at 7 yards. Luv 'em.
    Personally I think they are great sights for any HD gun.

Quote Originally Posted by C Bennett View Post

...great close in sight, perfect for a combat handgun out to 15-20 yds at most.
    Not true... While I haven't shot out to 100 yards with my Big Dots on my sub compact, they do work at distance.

Check out this video demo by James Yeager.

Big Dot sight demo
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Could I possibly trouble someone to take a picture of their glock with glock factory night sites and post it? I can't find one online to save my life.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Could I possibly trouble someone to take a picture of their glock with glock factory night sites and post it? I can't find one online to save my life.

Sorry if they're a little big. I just took these for you so...

Anyhoo, you should be able to see that the factory NS are very good for target acquisition. Nice, big dots that are easy to see in daylight, and at night, they are very comforting to have. Both my Glocks have them.

Hope this helps!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post

Sorry if they're a little big. I just took these for you so...

Anyhoo, you should be able to see that the factory NS are very good for target acquisition. Nice, big dots that are easy to see in daylight, and at night, they are very comforting to have. Both my Glocks have them.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks a ton! Really appreciate it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links