The Dilemma: Glocks and 1911s

This is a discussion on The Dilemma: Glocks and 1911s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone else suffer the same horrid fate that I do? I love to carry my Glock 22 or Glock 23 but I also love ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Dilemma: Glocks and 1911s

Does anyone else suffer the same horrid fate that I do?

I love to carry my Glock 22 or Glock 23 but I also love to carry my full size and my officer grip but commander slide 1911s. Typically I pick one for the IDPA season and carry its smaller brother for CCW. This year I can't stop going between them. Is this bad?

Now throw in the M&P 45 I just got. About as accurate as my 1911 but much nicer trigger than my Glocks. And they come with or without a thumb safety...

So far, clicking off the safety hasn't been an issue mainly due to the fact I don't carry one style and compete with the other. If I did, I probably would carry the non-thumb safety version just to make sure I didn't forget to sweep the thumb. Hmmm, well that is a good point.

Later, Lumpy.

I LOVE the M&P's. I enjoyed my Glocks, but they were just dispensable for me, I never had any pride in owning them or cared that much for them. The M&P is one heck of a gun. I had two 45's but they didn't get that much use, but my M&P9 does and I love it.

The only guns I really carry are the 1911's. I really like a nice 1911 and have a lot of pride in mine. I order them exactly how I want them and really enjoy the subtle differences between different makers.

I think Glocks and 1911's are both wonderful guns. I shoot them both about the same speed and similar accuracy, but again, I enjoy the 1911 more and it shoots just a little better for me. I may use the M&P9 along with one or two of my 1911's at an upcoming Magpul Dynamics Handgun class.

If I have a few guns that i can't decide which to carry, I just rotate them. And, before anyone says it, you would have to be at least a little S-L-O-W to "forget" to swipe off the safety. Either that or you might just not train AT ALL or use the wrong draw if you don't instinctively swipe it off. Sorry, I could go off for an hour when I see someone say this. You'd have to be VERY new to guns to have this happen.

Rotate them and carry them all. I envy you having more choices. Me, I'm just stuck on 1911's and carry different ones depending on what I feel like carrying that day. Enjoy them all buddy!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I have a Glock 23 which is my current EDC. I'm adding my Dan Wesson CBOB 1911 to the rotation soon too. I like both but something draws me to the .45acp and the fact that I shoot my 1911 better. The 1911 is an American classic, worked up and fitted with better parts to make it not only more comfortable to shoot than the old M1911A1 but more reliable. I've decided to do the following. Carry my 1911 for a while and decide if I want to make it my EDC which I think I may. After that I will carry my G23 in rotation with my 1911 on days where the weather is poor or I am in an environment that is a bit more harsh. Such as on the boat and out in the everglades. My Glock 23 is my nightstand gun too.

I guess I've decided that I like the 1911 as a whole and find I shoot it faster and more accurately. For that I am leaning toward it for carry, plus it's a .45. I've found also that I appreciate the simplicity and ruggedness of my Glocks and employ them when things are a bit unknown. I have to worry less about my Glocks maintenance and such. I've been convinced through my reading that a 1911 is a true fighting handgun and those who are well trained in it's use can shoot faster than any other pistol out there. It's just a bit more of an aficionado's weapon in that you must pay attention to more about the gun. It's a bit like a finely tuned race engine in that way. When it's just right it's unbelievable but when it's out of tune it needs a knowledge of the workings to get it running right. You have to sort of be dedicated to checking over your 1911 a bit to make sure all the safeties function properly and the like.

I think about it this way. The gun I carry when I'm out for the day can be checked, cleaned, and gone over before I go out. It can then be wiped down after I'm back home. When I have it unloaded for a once over I need a gun that I can count on 100% and don't need to check over as much. That gun is a Glock. The gun I leave on the dresser at night and I might need to grab and go must be 100%. Now my 1911 is 100% just the same, but if you think about it a Glock is renowned for it's reliability and it more worry free when it comes to part failure because there is less parts than a 1911. So while my 1911 can be gone over each day prior to use for CCW, my Glock doesn't need to be and can be used as a SHTF gun or the gun I'd rather bring with me into the swamp or in a marine environment. Lets face it, a $1000 or $2000+ 1911 is much nicer and more likely to be babied than a Glock. Not that it needs to be, but a $500 Glock is a gun that you can take to the elements and not feel so bad about it

Who knows, maybe I'll end up choosing my carry gun based on where I'm going that day. If for example I have to pass through the hood, I might just bring the Glock to have more rounds

Whatever you do practice with it well and remember that if you take care of your gun, it will take care of you when you need it. Choices are good and you have some fine guns to pick from.

Now I need to know where I can fit my Sig P226R into this
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't feel I am SLOW at all and I am probably just as quick with a 1911 as I am a Glock. I have a timer and should check that out. Yes, I agree with practice that it should not be an issue.

Have I seen it be an issue. Yes I have. Now what happened is I am an SO for IDPA. We were running classifiers. Joe Blow shot his Glock for the first classifer for SSP. We were having a slow day since bad weather was predicted but it never hit.

Joe then, pacing back and forth, since there was a lull in the action asked if he could then shoot his 1911 for CDP. Several times (well, I think only twice) he would draw and pull on the trigger and nothing would happen since his thumb safety never was deactivated. Do I normally do this? No. I am in agreement with you about practice and technique. In this case I think it was just muscle memory from just having shot a Glock and now immediately switching, without much mental thought turnover, to a different platform. Even with the two safety issues, his time was so much worse than with the SSP. Yes, the 45 major compared to 9 minor blah blah blah

It was this experience that just got the thought juices flowing...

I carried my NHC Predator III all day today. It will be the P-III or the G-23 tomorrow. I am leaning towards the 1911s for the rest of this season.

Later, Lumpy.

I currently have the same problem.....I've been rotating my Glock 19, Glock 30, and my two Kimbers. Although I feel that I will start carrying my Glock 30 more and more as soon as my new holster breaks in.....
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

You can easily put any good 1911 through just as much as the Glocks. The small parts used in some 1911's are better quality and less prone to breaking.

It took me some time to realize something and I think you are going through it too cmdrdredd. It's not that the 1911 won't work after the harsh environments or abuse, it's that there's something in us not wanting to put the 1911 through rough conditions or physical abuse. I assure you if abuse both equally for a month or two without doing a single thing to them for maintenance, they'll both empty the same amount of rounds equally with ease.

For me, I never minded my Glocks getting wet or dirty. I never minded throwing it back in the bag after falling on it in the dirt during a class. It didn't bother me when I dropped the slide (removed) on my new hardwood floors (well, I was concerned about the floor). I knew it would work fine.

Now, if my 1911's had taken the place of my Glocks or my M&P's during said instances, I would have stripped it the first free moment I had to at least blast the small parts with oil. Had I dropped it on the floor instead of my Glock I would have gone over it looking for dings. When I landed on my holster side during a carbine class I had to check it the first chance I had to make sure it wasn't "marred". When this happened with a Glock or the M&P, I never even thought about checking it.

So, it's not that the 1911 won't take the abuse (at least a good one with quality parts and a good finish to protect the steel), it's that we don't want it to go through the abuse.

I assure you it will take all kinds of abuse and keep on going strong, just like a Glock, M&P or any other high quality, well built gun.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; May 9th, 2010 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Spelling error(s)
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Exactly, I remember someone talking about a class where everyone was asked to toss their pistol out on the dirt which also had some rocks in it. Those with a Glock did it without hesitation, some of the 1911 guys hesitated a second. I'd have loved to see that. I think it's a pride of ownership thing. A Glock is a tool, rugged and dependable in most people's mind. A 1911 is like a work of art to me. That is why I like them so much...functional art.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Amen to that! I concur that a 1911 is a work of art that is to be treated like a quality weapon, not a tool.

VIP Member
    By far nothing feels as right as my Commander sized 1911s but dang, I'm sure liking the comfort of my G-36!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by DW Steve View Post
    Amen to that! I concur that a 1911 is a work of art that is to be treated like a quality weapon, not a tool.
    I disagree... It's simply a different platform and has been a proven combat gun for 100 years. 1911's has always been the military's weapon of choice (until NATO). I agree,... it's a work of art, but it's still just a tool.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    I disagree... It's simply a different platform and has been a proven combat gun for 100 years. 1911's has always been the military's weapon of choice (until NATO). I agree,... it's a work of art, but it's still just a tool.
    you completely missed the entire point of what we are saying.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy McSoo View Post
    Several times (well, I think only twice) he would draw and pull on the trigger and nothing would happen since his thumb safety never was deactivated. Do I normally do this? No. I am in agreement with you about practice and technique. In this case I think it was just muscle memory from just having shot a Glock and now immediately switching, without much mental thought turnover, to a different platform.
    Later, Lumpy.
    Sounds like what I was saying, he's pretty much never trained with the 1911. A week's worth of draw and grip practice should get most to the point that this will NEVER be an issue.

I shoot thumbs forward. When I draw, my thumb lands on top of the thumb safety. It's part of the draw for me. I could see how a new shooter could "forget", but I can't see how anyone who carries a 1911 could ever have this happen unless they bought it, never practiced with their draw and just carried it with NO training.

Now, I've seen some very dumb things at competition - I've done some dumb things there myself! But, it's usually something I or they have never done before and just didn't get it right the first time.

I think you have it right man, just rotate them all and carry what you like the best today.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    I remember someone talking about a class where everyone was asked to toss their pistol out on the dirt which also had some rocks in it.
    I have been to one class that did that. People need to get over emotional attachments to what they carry and maybe this drill was intended to show that. It wasn`t a big deal and nobody seemed to have an issue with it.

The school is a little bit Glock biased. Every Glock in the class could have K-boomed and it wouldn`t get a mention but if so much as a grip screw turned 10 deg on a Gov`t model there would be a 10 page thread on the shortcomings of the 1911A1.

I own and shoot both. The only advantage I see to the Glocks over a Gov`t model is magazine capacity.

My love affair with 1911s derives from the fact that it's a great gun and I've shot hundreds of matches and hundreds of thousands of rounds with them.

1911 is my most favorite firearm and my main carry gun for obvious reasons.

I do like my G26, though, as well as my Berettas and J-frames.

Carry them both, start Mondays with 1911 ...

All the best and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Exactly, I remember someone talking about a class where everyone was asked to toss their pistol out on the dirt which also had some rocks in it. Those with a Glock did it without hesitation, some of the 1911 guys hesitated a second.
    Yeah I don't think I could throw my 1911s in the dirt either. I would have to take a Glock to a class like that...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links