Ruger LCP vs. Kel-tec PF9

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP vs. Kel-tec PF9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a new EDC. I recently sold my Glock 26 because it was just too thick, the thing was a brick. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP vs. Kel-tec PF9

Ruger LCP vs. Kel-tec PF9

I am looking for a new EDC. I recently sold my Glock 26 because it was just too thick, the thing was a brick. I know I might catch some flack for that, and I love my G17, but its just too thick to EDC.
    One reason was; I am of the younger generation and I tend to wear tighter trendier clothes, not afraid to admit it, and it printed quite a bit with the clothes I would wear. I also had a crossbreed supertuck I stuck it in, and still printed pretty good.
    So I needed something to pocket carry or something that would conceal better. I'm leaning between a Ruger LCP or a Kel-tec PF9. Any suggestions either way? Thanks guys.

2. Remove Ads

Love my pf-9...but you cant go wrong with a Ruger. sell the 26 and add a hundred and get both.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Quote Originally Posted by DIXIETWISTER View Post
    Love my pf-9...but you cant go wrong with a Ruger. sell the 26 and add a hundred and get both.
    Ha ha Thats what I was also considering. I sold it today. The one thing I'm worried about with the Ruger is availability of ammo. I haven't seen a lot of .380 auto around. But just went on Gander Mountain's website, just to check it out, and they got the crap Blazer in stock for .380 auto, so it can't be too bad, right?

I had a PF9 for a while, but I sold it because I couldn't hit anything with it consistently--too snappy! I love my LCP. It is in my pocket every day and I don't even think about it being there. It doesn't matter what I wear, I just have to arrange the other things I carry so that I can keep it on my strong side. By the way, the PF9 is bigger than the LCP.

I had the same problem as you due to me not dressing around the gun, but carrying around how I dressed. Granted I am also carrying a considerably larger gun (Glock 30) but I was still able to make it work by finding the right holster. But since you already sold the Glock I would say just buy both and carry both
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I have all three , the G26 the PF9 and the LCP , the G26 is the better of the three gun but as you said its harder to conceal.
    If its not going to work for you, do as the other posters said and buy both
    the PF9 and the LCP and you will always have a gun on you .
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Ron
    I find my PF-9 easy to pocket carry in any kind of shorts or pants, maybe not jeans, which I don't wear for that reason. Mine has also been 100% reliable over 700 rounds. I know some do, but I don't find it that hard to shoot, and it is quite accurate over the distances it was designed for.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    I've carried an LCP in a Ruger LCP 380 Pocket/Wallet Holster as a bug for about a year now. It is unique because even in tight jeans, it just looks like a wallet or notebook in your back pocket and is still easily accessible.

I've found that the .380 ammo availibility issues to be more rumor than fact. In the past year, I've amassed a comfortable reserve by ordering online.

It's a reliable and proven little gun IMHO. It's also just a .380. If I ever go to use it in self-defense, I'll be wishing I had something much more potent, which is why it's a bug for me.

Although it's better than nothing. Get the PF9 too.

Though some manage to pocket carry the PF9, I would consider it more of a waist-carried gun. If you wear tighter clothes, I would think the LCP would be the better option. I also use the pocket holster referenced above - prints like a wallet.

Depending just how tight your clothing is, you may wish to try a Smartcarry. That might allow you to carry a PF9 without changing your wardrobe - as long as you don't wear skin-tight pants.

You may find that you could carry both at the same time - I sometimes carry my G26 in a Smartcarry AND my LCP in a pocket. I have the typical middle age "love handles" so my pants are a bit looser - pleats help hide the thickness of the Glock in my Smartcarry very well.

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

PF-9 is right on the verge of too big for pocket carry. Might work for you, might not. May print too much in some pockets.

Well, 9 ammo is easier and cheaper to get, but I am not a fan of KelTec's....maybe a used Kahr PM9?????

I have a LCP love it and if I had to only have a 380, I wouldnt feel under gunned at all.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Kahr pm9 is the way to go. Pocket carry does not work for me, tried it, just not for me. Nothing beats a slim single stack 9mm IWB. 6+1 147gr. 9mm is great too!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

I have been carrying the PF9 for several months now. I am also of the younger generation (I guess, I'm in my 20's) and wear slim fitting clothing, typically a t-shirt or polo and low rise boot cut jeans. In the summer I never wear a vest or thick outer clothing so I depend on my holster, body location, and of course, the size of my pistol. I carry the PF9 on my right hip, at the 3:30-4:00 position. I use a $10 single clip IWB nylon holster. I drop in my pistol, throw on t-shirt and jeans and I'm out the door. I have never had a problem with printing. I even test my print by pulling my untucked shirt tightly around my body and it still just looks like I'm carrying a cell phone. Just yesterday my father-in-law asked me "Why aren't you carrying today?" I just smiled and told him "I am." He couldn't even "make" me after watching me closely all that morning. My wife doesn't even know I'm carrying unless she hugs me and her hand slides down my back. Like everyone else, I was nervous the first few times I concealed carry but then I realized that most people are not looking to see if I have a gun, and even the very few who are wouldn't know I was. I have been tempted to buy a Cross Breed or similar holster, but every time I go to order one I think "This is a waste of money for this gun." I forget I'm wearing it half the time b/c I can't even feel it. I just got back from a 3 hour car ride and didn't even have to adjust it once. Very comfortable. I've never owned a Kahr PM9, but they must freakin' awesome considering what people pay for them. Perhaps they have gold-plated inlays and come with a lifetime supply of shells, I'm not sure? You could get two BRAND NEW PF9's for one new Kahr PM9. Once again, never used the Kahr, just sayin'...

Here's how it breaks down to me: The Kahr is barely smaller in length and height. The Kel-Tec is slightly thinner and 1.3 ounces lighter. When it comes to carrying a gun on my hip all day, I'll choose one that is lighter and thinner every time, as long at is in the caliber I want (and the 9mm is what I wanted). IMO, the Kel-Tec is not a pocket gun, but it is an awesome CC choice, especially when deep concealment, in spite of less-than-ideal wardrobe, is desired. As far as the PF9 being snappy or harsh at the range, sure, it's not a target pistol....because it's not designed to be. It's designed to conceal well, be pulled from a holster quickly, and fire up to 7 rounds quickly into a bad guy inside of 10-20 feet. That's it. Plain and simple. I would really like to shoot a 3" 9mm pistol loaded up with 147 grain rounds that doesn't rattle the hand a bit.....doubt it exists. I had no problem at the range putting shots into a silhouette from 15 feet. Since 70-80% of gun fights happen within 9 feet, I think I'll be fine. Happy shopping!
    Carry on my friend~~

Smith & Wesson SW9VE
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15
    Kel-Tec PF9

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I've carried an LCP in a Ruger LCP 380 Pocket/Wallet Holster as a bug for about a year now. It is unique because even in tight jeans, it just looks like a wallet or notebook in your back pocket and is still easily accessible.

I've found that the .380 ammo availibility issues to be more rumor than fact. In the past year, I've amassed a comfortable reserve by ordering online.

It's a reliable and proven little gun IMHO. It's also just a .380. If I ever go to use it in self-defense, I'll be wishing I had something much more potent, which is why it's a bug for me.

Although it's better than nothing. Get the PF9 too.
    How does the wallet holster feel when you sit down?
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Augrunt View Post
    How does the wallet holster feel when you sit down?
    I suppose it depends on how you're built. On me, it tends to push to the side slightly, which makes it unnoticeable for when I'm sitting at my desk. I go all day with it, without thinking about it. I've never been made, even by friends who might know better. It's just too small for the average sheep to consider that it might be a gun.

Car seats are different story. There, it tends to get snugged in the same spot and will get annoying after an hour or more. Plus, drawing from a rear pocket while seat-belted in is hardly smooth, so I drop it in the center console, and slip it back in the pocket as I get out.

Again, I'm not a .380 fan, but the LCP has become essential to my carry plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links