Full length Guide Rods In 1911s For Carry???

This is a discussion on Full length Guide Rods In 1911s For Carry??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I have some of my 1911s with full length guide rods and some without. I don't notice a difference with or without them as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full length Guide Rods In 1911s For Carry???

Hello,

I have some of my 1911s with full length guide rods and some without. I don't notice a difference with or without them as far as accuracy goes. Heck, as far as accuracy at self defense ranges I laugh at the thought.

Lately, I have been reading some stuff by Larry Vickers and Hilton Yam that really vouch for the recoil plug and bushing combo. I have (with snap caps) been able to successfully cycle the pistol by pusing on a board or with my weak hand finger right on top of the recoil plug. I think I see where these experts are coming from. I am getting ready to dump all of my full length guide rods in my carry 1911s. Never had a problem with them but now I think it is the correct thing to do.

Any thoughts?

Later, Lumpy.

Shock Buffs on 1911 carry guns...

Hello,

I have heard from some experts one answer and from other experts another answer. Those two answers are the obvious of NEVER use a shock buff in a duty or carry pistol OR use one but replace it at the first sign of wear, which seems to be magic all unto itself.

The reason I ask is I had to have Wilson pick up my CQB Elite for warranty work, which they did and since it was legit warrenty work they paid for the shipping both ways as well as did not charge for the gunsmithing work for the repairs. BUT when I got the pistol back, it had a brand new blue shock buff installed. Didn't bother me but made me wonder why, other than the small market for shock buffs, do they use them. Surely it must be more than a sales gimmick...? Maybe that is all it is.

Just curiuos what you thought. Time to go watch Boondock Saints and then catch some zzzs.

Later, Lumpy.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I cannot see the purpose of a full length guide rod in a self defense gun.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I had a bad experience with Shok-Buffs tying up the gun badly, fortunately just in a training class, but I'll never use them again.

Of three 1911s I own, the original 5" 1911 has the standard GI setup. The Commander-size Kimber CDP has no bushing but a flared bull barrel, and so uses a full-length guide rod. The Springfield TRP I got last summer came with a two-piece guide rod, but I want to be able to strip the gun without tools, so standard parts were substituted.

In spite of all the claims made about their benefits, IMO the shok-buffs and the full-length guide rods solve problems which don't exist.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

If your M1911 needs a shok-buff, it is not correctly sprung. Springs are cheap. Get one that works for your gun.

I've never heard of the full length guide rods serving any real purpose, other than from a manufacturer brochure. I don't have them in either of my 1911s and they are both very accurate.

old debate, but i consider FLGR's in a 1911 to be useless.

i tried a wilson "group gripper" full length rod years ago. all it did was lighten my wallet, and make takedown a pain in the ass.

other's seem to like them.....

JD
    Administrator
    There's no benefit to a stainless steel full length guide rod. I ditched mine years ago and any new gun that has one gets a GI plug and guide installed instead. They are just easier to deal with.

Administrator
    Well, they pretty much serve no useful function related purpose in a 1911.

The heavier tungsten carbide FLGRs do add some ounces of dead weight (out front) to the pistol so if you desire the added weight for recoil dampening purposes then I guess a Tungsten FLGR would be useful for that purpose.

They do make disassembly & reassembly more of a PITA.

If you have one/them already installed and your pistol/pistols function fine with them then it's up to you as to if you want to do a removal or not.

If you're building a pistol or having one built I sure wouldn't spend an extra nickel to have a FLGR installed.

None of my 1911 pattern pistols have guide rods.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Had a 4 inch Pro Carry (Kimber) 1911. I hated the guide rod and bull barrel. Sold the top half and replaced it with a Fusion true commander bushing barrel with a shorty rod and plug. Life is good.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

GOOD MOVE! I do,however, have a FLGR in my Colt Officer's Model. It's an EGW model with ISMI springs..it works and the weak link of the OM design was overcome. However, in my Series 70 Gov't Model..NO FLGR. Just like JM Browning intended.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Hmm, my experience is the opposite, I have a Colt 1991-A1. When I got it it had an 11 1/2 pound trigger pull, and would group into about 10 inches at 25 yards. Had the trigger pull worked on, set at 4 1/2 pounds, it'd still group into about 6-7 inches at 25 yards. Bought and installed a full length rod from Accusystems. "not sure if they're even still in business" and now groups are in the 1-2 inch category.
    It's a bit different from most of the full length rods I've seen though, it's spring loaded and the chamber end is curved into a hook that takes up the slack in the barrel link. Works for me, that's all I can say.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Full length guide rods are so much baggage in my view. Some years ago I did try one in my Colt Gold Cup for about a year. The pistol was already nicely accurate. The full length guide rod didn't impact accuracy at all. It also didn't impact function at all. In fact, it just did nothing.

When disassembling the pistol, it became an aggravation I decided I could do without. I was glad to give it the heave-ho.

I bought a very lightly used springfield Loaded 5" recently , i took it out to shoot and was very upset when the gun shot low 8-10" and left 6-8" at 10 yds. well i noticed there was a full length (two piece) guide rod in the box. I removed a GI short guide rod and installed the factory full length rod. since then gun shoots to point of aim with very nice groups.

Administrator
    bmcgilvray ~ Nice Cup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links