I know I'm going to get in trouble but,

This is a discussion on I know I'm going to get in trouble but, within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I'm going to pick up the kimber crimson ultra carry II today. Anyone have this gun? Shhh don't tell the wife.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know I'm going to get in trouble but,

I think I'm going to pick up the kimber crimson ultra carry II today. Anyone have this gun? Shhh don't tell the wife..
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

VIP Member
    No but one of the guys at work has on order, and is waiting for it to come in, an Ultra raptor, 3.5 in.
    I told him it was none of my business, but for $1200 I could buy TWO very nice pistols. He said, "I know but I've always wanted a 1911, and I've decided to go with this one"
    I guess its like the old saying, "Its a JEEP thing, you would'nt understand"
    I"d rather have my suburban, any old day over a jeep, so to each their own.
    Good luck and happy pistol hunting!!!!
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I have an Ultra CDP...you'll appreciate the size for CC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Well, if your going to get in trouble over something, you might as well make it over something worthwhile.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Theman9mm View Post
    I think I'm going to pick up the kimber crimson ultra carry II today. Anyone have this gun? Shhh don't tell the wife..
    Search reviews on the reliability of 3" 1911's. Some say yea, most say nay. My wife's boss heard some and didn't believe them, picked up an Ultra CDP and after ~200 rounds, it had some sort of failure on almost every shot. He sent it to Kimber and they have had it for 9 weeks now and according to them, "We don't know what's causing the problem(s) yet". Also, I can't verify this so I'm admitting that I am repeating hearsay, there have been many comments that the Kimber product is not what they used to be. My brother-in-law has a 4" Carry Classic (I think that's the model) from 11-12 yrs ago and it had been 99%, only a few failures this past winter...like 2-3. So he likes his but since getting his Sig P220 2 months ago, he hasn't picked up again...just the excitement of the new gun I guess.
    If nothing else, go to Ed Brown's site and read why he NEVER makes a 1911 with less than a 4 1/4" barrel. He, if no one else, should have some credibility.

Flame away...I'm believing Ed!

Ceapea
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

Easier to ask for forgiveness over permission....says the guy who is always getting in trouble!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    Search reviews on the reliability of 3" 1911's. Some say yea, most say nay. My wife's boss heard some and didn't believe them, picked up an Ultra CDP and after ~200 rounds, it had some sort of failure on almost every shot. He sent it to Kimber and they have had it for 9 weeks now and according to them, "We don't know what's causing the problem(s) yet". Also, I can't verify this so I'm admitting that I am repeating hearsay, there have been many comments that the Kimber product is not what they used to be. My brother-in-law has a 4" Carry Classic (I think that's the model) from 11-12 yrs ago and it had been 99%, only a few failures this past winter...like 2-3. So he likes his but since getting his Sig P220 2 months ago, he hasn't picked up again...just the excitement of the new gun I guess.
    If nothing else, go to Ed Brown's site and read why he NEVER makes a 1911 with less than a 4 1/4" barrel. He, if no one else, should have some credibility.

Flame away...I'm believing Ed!

Ceapea
    Yeah but alot of people say the same about the Taurus guns and i have never had a problem with all 12 of mine.

Well I got it and was not to happy for the price of 1200 that it did not come with a 2nd clip but o'well... It's home with me and it's getting along well with the other guns....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Yeah but alot of people say the same about the Taurus guns and i have never had a problem with all 12 of mine.

Well I got it and was not to happy for the price of 1200 that it did not come with a 2nd clip but o'well... It's home with me and it's getting along well with the other guns....
    Well, people have their favorite brand and could bash other brands. I'm not talking about favorite anything. There is a mechanical limit, so to speak, that tends to make 3" 1911's unreliable to a point. Again, Ed Brown and other custom 1911 smiths can sell anything they want to on word of mouth and reputation. Now, why do you think that none of the big boys sell 3" guns? Might they not want that "word" going out about their product?
    You don't have to take my word, do the research. That is all I can do when I want something new, anything from a new TV to a car or a gun. There are certain versions of all of the above that you just never want to deal with. And from what I've learned through much research is that 3" 1911's give you more trouble than any other commonly available barrel lengths.

Ceapea
    NRA Life Member
    Repeat...

Alright. I'm not saying that your 3" 1911 will have problems. It might not and I hope that it doesn't. All I'm saying is that in general, not concerning one brand or another, the 3" guns could have problems that might never surface in the longer barrel versions. Hopefully that makes it a little more clear. You should get the gun you want. But you should also make a reasonable effort to try to avoid known problems. But hey, it's only money.

Ceapea
    NRA Life Member
    Repeat...

Good reason to be in trouble. I have a Kimber Eclipse
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Sorry ! Wrong key, as I was saying I have a Kimber Eclipse II and truly love it.. Good luck with the Mrs.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I don't have the Kimber that you are seeking, nor do I own a less than 5" Barrel 1911 at this time.

I've owned some shorter barreled 1911's in the past, but they have left me wanting in regards to reliability. I will accept a 4.25" Barrel 1911, but prefer the 5" Barrel.

I'll take the word of Ed Brown on this matter. Good luck to you in seeking your forgiveness. I hope it is warranted.

Biker

Man, if you're going to get into trouble, it had better be worth it!

Maybe she'll forgive you if you let her shoot it. Those Kimbers are sure good lookers, but I've mixed feelings about their performance.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

The wife likes it and wants one of her own so looks like I will be going to get another.. I took it out shooting and put 250 rounds down it with cheap blazer ammo and not a problem (my hand is killing). Out of all my hand guns this is hands down the best I have... Now it looks like I will be spending out another 1200

EX-NRA lifetime Member

My former boss has one for his EDC. He loves it.
    Last edited by aedinius; May 9th, 2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Not my boss anymore...
    Knowing is half the battle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links