thinking about trading

This is a discussion on thinking about trading within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; got a pt745.thinking of trading it for a ultralight 38 for carry. like my 45 but it shoots low and i cant seem to correct ...

Thread: thinking about trading

thinking about trading

got a pt745.thinking of trading it for a ultralight 38 for carry. like my 45 but it shoots low and i cant seem to correct it. any ideas

2. Remove Ads

Shoot it a lot more and really learn the trigger.

The PT series has a pretty long trigger pull, and it took me a while to learn where the trigger breaks on my PT111. The pull is long enough for me to just about "stage" the trigger. My point, though, is that you're applying about 8 pounds of force on a 1.5 pound gun, and there is a natural tendency to lower the gun as more trigger force is applied, even though you feel your sights are aligned on the target. Especially if you're right-handed and your shots go low and left, it's a trigger "management" problem that practice will help you get past.

Now if your gun shoots low from a supported rest, that's another story. Give Taurus a call and see what they can do for you.

Moving from a short-barreled pistol to a shorter-barreled, lighter-weight revolver isn't going to help you get your shots on target - in fact, it will probably make things worse at first.

But don't let this deter you from getting a lightweight snub... I have a Taurus 'UltraLite' with the integral hammer shroud, and it's a fine piece that just slips in the pocket easily.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Dry practice.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

My 1911's shot low until I learned better trigger control.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Dry practice.
    This!! All the muscle memory with none of the flinching and recoil. It does wonders!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    I'll be another to tell you that dry fire practice is the best medicine. Also, add snap-caps/dummy rounds to a mag (random snap-caps and live round in same mag), while firing, you'll learn if you're anticipating the shot and flinching/pushing the gun when you fire. If you're anticipating the shot, it almost always results in a low shot.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I did something very similar, I had a Kel-Tec P11 and traded it for a Charter Arms On Duty .38.
    The Kel-Tec functioned fine and its mechanical accuracy was acceptable, but I could not shoot it very well. I shot the Charter better after the first range trip than I did the Kel-Tec after hundreds of rounds.
    I find the Snubbie pocket carries better than the auto also. It is bigger than the P11 but the shape just hides and draws better.

PT745 sights

I have worked with several different PT745, and 3 of them have shot low. It is just the physical make up of the gun and sights and had nothing to do with the trigger. They all shot about 12 inches or below POA at 20-25 yards. This seems common with this model. Check with the owners group forum for help.

Another idea if you decide to trade. Try to find someone you know or a range where you can shoot the handgun you are looking at. AT least you will get an idea of how you shoot it, how it fits, etc before dropping money one it. Believe me, nothing beats buying the gun then realizing you, or your wife in my case, hates shooting it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

GM
    I should trade it right away; but that is because I am allergic to everything that has the name Taurus on it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i found dry firing my taurus at home helped immensely with my accuracy...making the trigger finger work totally independantly of the others...

i line up on something small and watch my sites while firing or line up on something with the muzzle almost against it so i can see any movement of the gun when pulling the trigger...after a while it becomes second nature...

mine was a pt111 which has since been traded off...but it shot very accurately and was very dependable with several thousant rounds through it...never a hiccup...

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Shooting low with a .45 uhmmmmm.......sounds to me like you might be anticipating recoil and pulling the nose of the gun down to compensate. The solution to this problem is dry firing.

Try shooting off a solid rest or sandbag. If the results are different, it's not the gun.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Links