Glock 36 and reloads

Glock 36 and reloads

This is a discussion on Glock 36 and reloads within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am coming down the home stretch on choosing a new CCW. It's between the Glock 26 and 36. A big deal for me is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 36 and reloads

Glock 36 and reloads

I am coming down the home stretch on choosing a new CCW. It's between the Glock 26 and 36. A big deal for me is if a gun will cycle reloads and because of the cost it allows me to practice a lot more. Glock 36 owner, have you shot reloads and how do they work?

Thanks
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Although not many, I have run reloads through mine without any problems.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Reloads?
    Just read this... The Glock FAQ: glock_faq_reloading

Then, be careful to follow the rules.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I shot a lot of reloads,just don't use lead bullets without changing the barrel to an aftermarket one,you can shoot fmj and copper plated in a factory barrel.Are these your reloads or some you picked up at a gun show.Never trust reloaded ammo unless it's yours or somebody you know and trust his reloads
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

First off, unless you are the person making the reloads, I think you are asking for problems. Type of lead used, double charge, no charge, whatever. Reloads from unknown sources is an accident waiting to happen.

Factory reloads, or those produced by ammunition companies using commercial production equipment but using once fired brass is a little different than reloads you pick up at gun shows, the guy down the street or at some estate sale or auction. Also, as far as I know, these "factory reloads" predominantly use jacketed bullets. So, at least there, you don't have a barrel leading issue. The chances of getting a double charge load out of a factory reload is about the same as getting one with new ammunition. Same equipment is used. The only factor is using brass which has been fired before.

There will be more of an issue with the possibility of getting a round with a damaged case with any reload as opposed to using a virgin case, but I feel it probably shouldn't be a heavy concern.

Unless you are a competition shooter going through thousands of rounds of ammo every month, stick to factory produced ammo made with all virgin components and you remove any issues related to reloaded ammo and you will leave your warranty intact.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a Glock 36 and I basically only shoot reloads. I will initially put about 200 factory loads through a new gun; after that, it's all reloads; only those I load myself.

For the Glock 36: Do not use lead bullets or semi-wadcutters. Lead bullets will lead up a polygon bore faster than a traditionally rifled bore, creating dangerous pressures possibly.

Semi-Wadcutters absolutely will Not feed in the Glock 36.

You can reload and shoot all the plated ball eg. Berry's & Ranier, and all the full metal jacket reloads you can make, provided you stay with ball and Hollow point configuration. Do that and you will be fine. I am that point now, where I shoot my reloads exclusively in my Glock 36.

All firearms manufacturers want you to use factory loads, but, it really isn't necessary if you know what you are doing at the reloading bench.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Bark'n is giving good advice. If you do not make the reloads yourself I think you would do well to avoid them. Shop around and you can usually get good buys on factory FMJ ammo for your practice.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Bark'n is giving good advice. If you do not make the reloads yourself I think you would do well to avoid them. Shop around and you can usually get good buys on factory FMJ ammo for your practice.
    I don't make the reloads myself. My dad makes them. We have been shooting them for the past 15 or so years. I have shot his 9mm and .45 through my other guns with no issues. I was more asking because I have heard that the Glock 36 is more "Sensitive" then other glocks.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Like Freedomofchoice above, I could not get SWCs to feed thru my G30 no matter what. RNs feed like a champ.

I bought a Storm Lake barrel expressly for shooting lead, and to be honest, I can't tell any difference in its rifling from the Glock barrel. The case support is all but identical also (in fact, the Glock support may be a bit more), but I've never seen any sort of the infamous Glock bulge in any .45 case. But to err on the side of safety, I stick with the SL barrel for the lead. A Lone Wolf barrel will save you a few bucks over other brands and has a good rep.

I would have no hesitation to carry my 230 grn RNs. In all the reloading I've done, I've had one misfire--a dead primer. I've had more than that with factory loads. Reloading, like rebuilding a hot rod yourself, means you get out of it what you put into it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Lots of reloaded ammo has been shot through my guns, including the Glock 30 I've owned. Reloaded ammo has a bad reputation by guys on the internet that think they are substandard ammunition. The US Army Marksmanship Unit would like a word with you, as well as the thousands of LE agencies using reloaded ammunition for training. The 5th largest ammunition manufacturer in the US is a reloading company. Only Federal, Remington, Speer, and Hornady make more ammunition than this company.

Also this LSWC will feed in all .45 caliber Glock pistols including the G21, G30, G36 and the GAP family of G37, G38, G39.

07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    That looks exactly like the SWCs I tried, but they just wouldn't work. Oh, well. I don't have to wonder when I pull the trigger on a RN.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

IMO....forget the reloads in any Glock factory barrel no matter what you may hear. Those whom have done this and had no problems thus far are still flirting with disaster. Your time is limited. Wear appropriate PPE and don't expect Glock to replace what you've misused and abused. Get an aftermarket conventionally rifled barrel for your Glock for reloads....that way you won't be your own enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That looks exactly like the SWCs I tried, but they just wouldn't work. Oh, well. I don't have to wonder when I pull the trigger on a RN.
    Send me your address and I'll send you a few to try for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    IMO....forget the reloads in any Glock factory barrel no matter what you may hear. Those whom have done this and had no problems thus far are still flirting with disaster. Your time is limited. Wear appropriate PPE and don't expect Glock to replace what you've misused and abused. Get an aftermarket conventionally rifled barrel for your Glock for reloads....that way you won't be your own enemy.
    Can you please stop spreading this nonsense?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Just picked a G36 a few days ago. Yesterday I took it to the range and fired 200 of my own reloads and it was flawless...
    I only reload jacketed bullets.... As long as you shoot jacketed bullets you do not need an aftermarket barrel.
    Awesome shooter, very accurate... feels just like my G30 but thinner. I think I am going to graduate it to carry duty.

I've never had problems with reloads, but I've never fired any lead rounds through a standard Glock barrel before.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links