Defensive Carry banner

Pieced together Custom Polished Kahr P9

14K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  VrodRay 
#1 ·
A few months back I was able to pick up a Kahr P9 frame assy on gunbroker in the hopes of making it into a little project piece, since I already have a PM9, P380, and Sig 239 for edc. Well sure enough last week I find a Kahr P9 Slide assy on gunbroker and picked it up. Together they assemble to a complete P9 with a bunch of spare parts, and a price far less than a used P9. After receiving the slide assy, and I inspected everything and immediately knocked off the standard sights to polish her up. After about 5+ hours of work polishing this is what I am left with. I still might need to polish a bit more but right now she’s looking good. It now needs a detailed breakdown and cleaning of the slide and after a test run at the range I will be sending it into Kahr for some night sights. I might turn the frame into a custom P9 Covert but that is still up for debate.
Frame, Slide assy, Before, and After polishing….

Sunlight Pictures

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow that is sharp. I love the P9 anyways...it is one of the most natural feeling CCW pieces I have ever felt in my hand. Very nice work...kind of makes me want to try one of those parts guns myself.

#11 ·
Turned out very well, great polish job!

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks Again

As for my procedure, Start with good quality sand paper from an automotive paint supply store. I started with 1000 but hindsight I should have started with 800 and save myself a little time. Lay the 800 sand paper on a flat surface, and with slide in hand get to work on all sides. After each side has been flat sanded and hand sanded to any stubborn spots and corners then you step up to 1000. Same procedure then step up to 1500, then 2000. After 2000 the surface will be reflective but hazy, and with a polishing wheel mounted to a bench grinder and some polishing compound you should be looking at yourself in no time. Make sure you have a good grip on that slide though, you don't want to shoot it off like the oil filter in Tommy boy.

#17 · (Edited)
OK done with the mag. It was easy, ground down the ends of the bottom that were not apart of the side tabs by 3mm, .5 mm more then what the frame called for so that I could sand the bottom of the frame flat to meet up perfectly with the grip extension I will be running. Then I used an ox-acetylene torch and heated up the left over tap that has already been scored for the bend I wanted, and tapped the bend in with the mag in a vice.
By the way I run an industrial turbine parts repair, and custom metal fabricating shop...

Shortened 7rd Kahr Mags, Buy them here folks, haha

#19 ·
only thing I see might be a problem is shooting that thing in direct sunlight,you could get blinded by the reflective surface,let me know if thats a problem,I may do a 1911 SS slide

#30 ·
only thing I see might be a problem is shooting that thing in direct sunlight,you could get blinded by the reflective surface, let me know if that's a problem,I may do a 1911 SS slide
Please try this, and soon. If it is too bright, I'll be happy to give it a new home.

Very nice work, and thanks for the technical information, too.

#21 ·
Ok, so I have to ask, does shortening the mag by 1/8 inch affect the capacity or the feeding. It would seem that either you would be one short on capacity or have less spring preload.
I am assuming you removed the material from the "top" of the mag? Or does the bottom of the mag come apart, and thats where you were altering?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.