G27 or M&P 40c

G27 or M&P 40c

This is a discussion on G27 or M&P 40c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a new compact summer carry with some power. Trying to decide between Glock 27 or M&P .40 compact Can you guys give me ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G27 or M&P 40c

G27 or M&P 40c

Looking for a new compact summer carry with some power.

Trying to decide between Glock 27 or M&P .40 compact

Can you guys give me some pros and cons of each/personal experience with one or both? Need some help making up my mind. I've handled both and like them both. The M&P is sexier but I don't base my carry weapon on looks. Thanks guys!

Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Can't speak to the Glock but I have had a 40c for several years and really like it. It has never jammed or FTF and is extremely accurate. Reccomend you try and shoot both and make a decision on how they feel and how they shoot. Both are good weapons.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I picked my M&P because I have big hands and glocks have more of a chance to have that slide bite you then other guns (almost happen to me). I also like the way the M&P feels in my hands and the fact that it holds more round than the glock.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Yea I plan on it. I carried a 9mm years and for the last year been carrying a .357mag but I want more than 5 shots and something more powerful than a 9mm. Also need to consider t-shirt concealability between the 27 and .40c
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    I know it is the 9mm version but all the dimension are the same... I choose the Smith and Wesson after the gun smoke settles. to me the Smith feels like it is part of you hand and IT forms to your hand rather than your hand having to form to the gun like the Glock

YouTube - Baby Glock vs. M&P 9c

Glock is Good don’t take this the wrong way but…..

I will tell you that the M&P is better for a lot of reasons. First a lot of different safety options if your into safeties or not alot that is up to you.

Ambidextrous slide release(If your Left handed this can make or break a purchase), easy take down, very well balanced, light weight, slim, no sharp edges, accurate right out of the box, the grip and over all feel fit exactly as your hand is made.

Three different back-straps to fit you hand exactly. Low bore axis= better accuracy which= lead on target where it is supposed to be.

I have a M&P40 over 1500 rounds, no failures. 15+1 rounds, easily concealable. (It is not to be mistaken for the Sigma Series from S&W which many complained about).

Police Departments are switching over to them, and a lot of people are call them "Glock Like" (In my opinion i think the M&P is EQUAL if not better then a Glock that’s why i bought it) it is like Glock= Chevy M&P=Cadillac PERIOD

Oh and the best part "Yeah It's American Made"
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I used to own 2 Glocks. I now Own 5 M&P's. End of story.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

I had both for about six months while trying to decide on a sub-C 40 striker pistol to carry and, in the end, kept the 27. The Glock was a little smaller and better feeling in my hand. I also found that often my mag would be sitting loose in the well because of how far the mag release protruded from the frame of the 40c. In fairness, that is a secondary reason for choosing the 27. The first is size and ergonomics. For instance, for my hands, my weak hand thumb indexes perfectly on the recess on the G27 where the slide lock is located, which aids greatly in getting a very quick two-handed purchase on the weapon after drawing. Honestly, I don't think there are really any pros or cons to either product. In the end, it just comes down to subjective choice.

I own and carry both Glocks and M&Ps, so brand loyalty really has nothing to do with my choice.

2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

The G27 is what I carry off-duty most of the time. Very reliable and extremely accurate even though it is a sub-compact. It is also very easy to conceal.

I have heard from a local 300 man PD that the S&W M&P .40 compacts had some issues dropping the mag unintentionally. I don't know if S&W has corrected this issue yet.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Thanks for the info/opinions guys. They both feel good in my hand, I'm not a big fan of the Glock trigger but then again maybe I just need to get used to it. Not sure which way I'm going to go yet I like them both a lot and you know what that means...I'm probably going to end up with both :)

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    The G27 is what I carry off-duty most of the time. Very reliable and extremely accurate even though it is a sub-compact. It is also very easy to conceal.

I have heard from a local 300 man PD that the S&W M&P .40 compacts had some issues dropping the mag unintentionally. I don't know if S&W has corrected this issue yet.
    Old info. That was with some of the 1st M&P coming out.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Have both, and would recommend either. Would suggest you rent them both at the range and try them out. I actually like them both, but find that the G27 beats the heck out of my trigger finger and isn't comforable for me after 20 rounds or so. Lots of people don't have this problem with the 27, and some do. Try them both and which ever you choose, you'll have an excellent weapon.
    Last edited by rogerh; May 10th, 2010 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    Old info. That was with some of the 1st M&P coming out.
    I believe I heard this about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago. Haven't the M&Ps been out longer than that?

Being that you know that it is old info, do you happen to know what S&W did to correct the problem?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    Yea I plan on it. I carried a 9mm years and for the last year been carrying a .357mag but I want more than 5 shots and something more powerful than a 9mm. Also need to consider t-shirt concealability between the 27 and .40c
    Where do you want to conceal it? That's most of it isn't it? I'm doing appendix carry for a while, testing out some holsters, IMO better than SmartCarry for what I like. My G27 is nice and comfy appendix style. The M&P? I couldn't tell you, but by the looks of it, it's larger, sharper, and uglier than the Glock. Personally, I have no reason to ever want one. Although I keep an open mind for everyone else, I know where home is, and the difference between a house and home is love. Glock is home to me.
    You need what's best for you, and then begin to conceal it well in the most comfortable way you can.

get both,they're both fine weapons....i have 2 G26s and one M&P9c love them both

VIP Member
    All I can say is this.... Glock's are rock solid and I love them, but the only Glock's I have seen have issues are .40's. The 9mm's are solid for sure, but if given the choice go with the M&P.

Take it or leave it, but I personally saw a G27 kaboom in my good friends hand. He got lucky with a bruised and swollen hand, but I can tell you that he does not carry .40 Glock's anymore.

I have personally shot my G19 thousands of times and it has been as reliable as a hammer. Just stay away from .40's..
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links