Taurus 709 - Good Wife

Taurus 709 - Good Wife

This is a discussion on Taurus 709 - Good Wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Our 20th anniversary is soon and my wife went ahead and gave me my gift a little early, a Taurus 709 SLIM. She said she ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 709 - Good Wife

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar

Smile Taurus 709 - Good Wife

Our 20th anniversary is soon and my wife went ahead and gave me my gift a little early, a Taurus 709 SLIM.
    She said she saw an AD for it when looking through the American Rifleman magazine a couple of months ago; she knew I didn't have it and thought it would make a nice surprise.

Prior to shooting, I removed all the white grease from inside the pistol and lubed it with regular gun oil.
    I also put a piece of bicycle tube around the grip.
    First, I shot Federal 124 FMJ and the initial shots impacted low & left; a quick sight adjustment brought the POI with the 124 gr. loads just right.
    Next, I shot a box of Hydra Shok 124 gr. hollow points, they hit right where the FMJ loads impacted and recoil wasn't a factor.
    I finished up with some Federal 115+P+, the increase in kick versus the 124 Hydra Shocks was noticeable. The 115 gr. loads impacted lower than the 124 gr.
    I experienced zero malfunctions during the first 75 rounds through the pistol, using those three different loads. Primers were struck hard and cases were ejected a few feet to my right. I decided to quit shooting and clean the pistol; great first shooting session.
    Based on my initial shooting, I would carry the pistol with the 124 gr. Hydra Shok due to the ability to deliver a quicker follow up shot than the 115 +P+ and the 124 gr. bullets POI was perfect (with current sight setting).

My wife asked how I liked the pistol and I was happy to give her a good report.

After 20+ years she knows me pretty well. Nonetheless, I'm going to encourage her to look at gun magazines more often.

great wife and good gun. I like mine-both wife and 709

Congrats on the new pistol. Cool to have a woman that recognizes the value of a new gun!

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Congrats......on your 20 years and the new gun. Thank God for great wives!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Sweet life after twenty years!

Congratulations on the wife and the new gun - both are rare to find.

Yup, more gun magazine subscriptions is an excellent idea.

Stay safe.

Congrats on your anniversary, cool wife, and new gun. I've got 1,000 flawless rounds through my 709. Just clean it thoroughly every time you shoot and don't over-lube and you'll really enjoy it. Keep an eye on the extractor as some folks got some bad ones. If you do, Taurus will send you another one and it is an easy thing to replace....5 minutes. Hope all continues to go well...I've been very impressed with mine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

True story about the wife, we stopped at a gun store and bought a box of ammo during the course of our limo ride on our wedding day.

Our 1 year anniversary trip was for a wild boar hunt.

She hunts and has killed several deer, plus a couple of turkeys.

Yea, I'm lucky.

Follow up report on the 709:
    This afternoon, I shot another 30 rounds through the 709. The ammo I used was Winchester Ranger 127 gr +P+. The Taurus 709 digested it without a problem; primers were hit hard and cases were consistently flung several feet to my right. After just a few rounds, I grew accustomed to the recoil and was able to deliver quick 2nd shots.
    I like the 2nd strike capability and the slimness.
    First 100 rounds with 4 different types of ammunition through the pistol was flawless.
    This is a perfect pistol for the Smartcarry "holster'.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Our 20th anniversary is soon and my wife went ahead and gave me my gift a little early, a Taurus 709 SLIM.

So what are you going to get her????

I bought a 709 Slim for carry (when I can), but my sister liked it so much, I transferred it to her. I liked it, but she liked it better..

Then I went out and bought a Bersa Thunder UC 9 pro. She liked this one too, but I'm keeping this one

Both guns are great and ammo tolerant.

Congratulations on the 20 years and the great gun and most of all the wonderful wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Gulf Girl View Post
    So what are you going to get her????
    I got her a "past, present, future" ring. I don't know squat about jewelry. I wanted a ring with 3 stones; one stone to represent me and one for each of our boys. The sales person in the jewelry store said I wanted the past, present, future, ring. When I saw it I said, yes that's what I pictured in my head. For some strange reason she likes the ring better than a pistol I guess since she has the "perfect" pistol for her, a Kahr P9, she doesn't think she "needs" anymore. The really good thing about the ring is she considers it nicer than the gift she gave me; I said, no I really like the Taurus, but if you feel the need to make it up to me.... I'll lay out some magazines for the next special occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by majsu View Post
    I bought a 709 Slim for carry (when I can), but my sister liked it so much, I transferred it to her. I liked it, but she liked it better..

Then I went out and bought a Bersa Thunder UC 9 pro. She liked this one too, but I'm keeping this one

Both guns are great and ammo tolerant.

Congratulations on the 20 years and the great gun and most of all the wonderful wife...
    I have both the 709 and the Bersa Thunder 9UC...they're both great guns. When my 709 ejects spent casings, it throws them waaaaay back. I'm not sure if that's good, normal, or what. Just noticed it seems a lot more than posted above.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Congrats on both the anniv an the new gun!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Hope you get real good service from the new gun.

I would say that it is pay back time and buy your very special wife new gun for her birthday.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

GM
    Congrats on your 20th anniversary and on the 709!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Iove mine.. I just spent out 1300 on a kimber crimson ultra carry II and found myself putting my pt709 on my side this morning.I have not found a better gun for carry that i forget its on my side. It just hugs you and being slim I never find miself thinking about it... Just a great gun the pt709 is...If someone don't know i have 23 hand guns and most are Taurus and I have never had one problem....
    34 hand guns and still going.....

EX-NRA lifetime Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links