Looking for first CCW Weapon

This is a discussion on Looking for first CCW Weapon within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, I recently got my CCW in Connecticut and I've been trying to decide what would be ideal for my first gun that i'd ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for first CCW Weapon

Looking for first CCW Weapon

Hello All,

I recently got my CCW in Connecticut and I've been trying to decide what would be ideal for my first gun that i'd be able to carry any day (deep concealment).

I've been thinking about a Kahr PM9, CZ 2075 Rami, S&W M&P 9mm, .40 or .45, Glock 26 or Commander sized 1911. Can anyone persuade me one way or another? Or suggest anything else I should try (I plan on trying some of these at the local range first).

My concern is I am relatively small (5'5") however I have large hands so grip size isn't the issue, just concealment. For a first weapon I want something I can wear almost anything with, which is why I would go as small as a PM9 so I could slip it in my pocket if I wanted to.

Thank you.

2. Remove Ads

Loook for a handgun that feels "right" in your hands.... just like you shop for shoes. If the gun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it. With training and practice, you can learn to shoot any handgun, but it's extremely difficult to re-teach comfort to your hands, so that you'll enjoy shooting it.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Kahr PM9 gets my vote. Great size, light weight, quality craftsmanship, and acceptable caliber.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Loook for a handgun that feels "right" in your hands.... just like you shop for shoes. If the gun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it. With training and practice, you can learn to shoot any handgun, but it's extremely difficult to re-teach comfort to your hands, so that you'll enjoy shooting it.
    I agree completely, which is why I want to rent a few at the local range as well ($10 for 10 shots any gun). so far I know I like the Sig 228 and 229, and also Springfield and S&W 1911 (though its on the large side...so I would have to go with a compact or commander..)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think sometimes too much is made of comfort and fit. In all reality, are you going to be frequently going to a range and firing a lot of rounds? Or, are you one who just wants to have a firearm to protect yourself and will only ocassionally put rounds through it.

If the former is you, then by all means look for a firearm that fits well and you enjoy shooting.
    If the latter is you, then as long as you can reasonably well shoot the firearm and it conceals to the extent you want, then that's a good choice for you, even thought you might not enjoy putting a hundred rounds through it at a sitting.

Face it, if you're only carrying it for protection, the odds of you ever having to pull it out are slim, and the odds of you having to fire it are far slimmer, so "comfort and fit" are not that important.

If you can conceal it and put 5-10 holes in a paper plate at 7 yrds, it will serve your purpose of SD.

I's recommend a pocket .380 if you'll looking for something that you can literally drop in your pocket, or a smaller 9mm (G27-sized or so) if thinking in a IWB holster or the like.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think sometimes too much is made of comfort and fit. In all reality, are you going to be frequently going to a range and firing a lot of rounds? Or, are you one who just wants to have a firearm to protect yourself and will only ocassionally put rounds through it.

If the former is you, then by all means look for a firearm that fits well and you enjoy shooting.
    If the latter is you, then as long as you can reasonably well shoot the firearm and it conceals to the extent you want, then that's a good choice for you, even thought you might not enjoy putting a hundred rounds through it at a sitting.

Face it, if you're only carrying it for protection, the odds of you ever having to pull it out are slim, and the odds of you having to fire it are far slimmer, so "comfort and fit" are not that important.

If you can conceal it and put 5-10 holes in a paper plate at 7 yrds, it will serve your purpose of SD.

I's recommend a pocket .380 if you'll looking for something that you can literally drop in your pocket, or a smaller 9mm (G27-sized or so) if thinking in a IWB holster or the like.
    I have a range relatively close to me, so I do plan on shooting often as well as carrying for defensive purposes ( I hear the range can be great stress relief). I am considering both an IWB and pocket holster.

I tend to believe that "fit" is extremely important the reason being when it comes to point-shooting and the like. You'll be much more accurate and be able to fire much more rapidly if the pistol fits and points naturally for you. Considering that most self defense encounters occur at 21 feet or less, there may be a time when you're not able to bring the sights up to line up your shot. It would be good if you could "feel" where you want the bullet to go.

The best thing is to try different pistols and triggers and see which is best for you. I'm a CZ guy, but must admit that S&W got it right with the M&P. I had bought an M&P9 compact for my Dad and liked it so much that I'll be getting another this time for me.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I have a range relatively close to me, so I do plan on shooting often as well as carrying for defensive purposes (I hear the range can be great stress relief). I am considering both an IWB and pocket holster.
    Then you definitely want something that fits you well. A couple of boxes thru an ill-fitting handgun can be painful.
    Despite what you'll see on the forums, I'm willing to bet most CC firearms are rarely shot more than a few times at any one session. There are those who have a handgun just in case, and those who enjoy shooting.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Fit DOES matter.... regardless of application... if you're gonna shoot only for fun, proper fit makes things safer and more enjoyable.

If you're only gonna carry and you choose a gun that doesn't fit well you will NOT shoot it enough to become proficient with it, and as a result, your lack of proficiency with that weapon may get you killed.

One who carries a handgun for personal protection and is NOT proficient with that handgun is foolishly optimistic. Not to mention being a fool.

But that's just my opinion......
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I just transitioned to a commander sized 1911 and am very happy with the concealability of a single stack.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Employing the use of a firearm that you are not familiar and comfortable with under stress is a bad idea.
    Ever had to drive someone else's car in heavy traffic when it starts to rain or get dark? None of the controls are where they normally are, none of the reach for things is the same, and the distraction of fiddling with reacquainting yourself with them takes precious time during which lots of bad things can occur.

I think I will fire about 4 different ones for my first run Tuesday and let you know the results

Foa a 1st..........S&W "J" Frame.................M&P340....maybe.

I have the PM-9 as well as the CZ Rami. Both are fine weapons. The PM-9 is WAY smaller than the Rami. IMO the Rami is too thick for CC and way too big for pocket carry.
    I thought the PM-9 was the perfect CC firearm until I got the Sig P-238.
    Much smaller than the Kahr, you really can drop this in your pocket.

I have the PM-9 as well as the CZ Rami. Both are fine weapons. The PM-9 is WAY smaller than the Rami. IMO the Rami is too thick for CC and way too big for pocket carry.
    Is it the grip/double stack which causes the issue?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links