Made my choice today

This is a discussion on Made my choice today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the past few weeks I have been going back and fourth on a new carry weapon. Out of the 2 handguns that I own ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Made my choice today

Made my choice today

For the past few weeks I have been going back and fourth on a new carry weapon. Out of the 2 handguns that I own both have had enough failures that makes me not trust them in a carry role. I do have a 1911 but it's a bit large for CCW use.

I liked my PT709 but after two trips back to Taurus for different issues i just don't trust my life to it.

I liked my PT145 but after multiple magazine issues I again, don't trust my life to it.

So, lesson learned. I'll probably own another lower end gun in my life but it will not be the one I carry to protect myself and those I love.

I've given it a lot of thought over the past few weeks. I've bone back and fourth between a J-frame, SP101, Glock 36 and 26. All GREAT guns. I originally thought of going the revolver route as I liked the dependability. In the end thought I just couldn't get used to the reload speed. Because reliability was what was top on my list I was led to glock. It doesn't get much more dependable then a glock!

So I narrowed down my Glock choices to the G36 and G26. Again, both great guns. I really like the .45 cartridge and the slightly slimmer profile of the 35 ALMOST brought it out ahead. But in the end I remembered that I was purchasing a new CCW for reliability. But not just physically but mentally as well. I want to trust my CCW as much as I can trust a machine and there are just a few to many reports floating around on the G36 about issues. I understand that most of those were a long time ago but it still puts doubt in the back of my mind.

So, I was left with the G26. Small package, good capacity, fairly light (though a bit chunky), and most importantly you have to scour pretty hard to find a negative review. I'm also looking forward to not having a manual safety. It was something that I thought I really wanted but after having decided is something I don't want to have to worry about. Even though I ordered a supertuck for and that will be my primary mode of carry it's nice to have the option to ankle carry it as a backup to a larger pistol if need be.

So, I would love to post some pics for you guys and gals but ... he didn't have one in stock They had to order one for me so hopefully it will be here in a few days. Oh, and for those that were following my other thread I decided to go with the stock sights so i could put XS on myself. Thanks for tall the help over the past few weeks!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    GREAT CHOICE. My G26 is my primary EDC(with a Colt OM doing duty during the GA "winter"). I pack a spare G19 mag as a reload. Thinking of an LCR as a BUG to both or a stand-alone EDC when weather and clothing dictate. The "5 for sure" of a snubbie is comforting too. GOOD LUCK!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

VIP Member
    Congrats Rollo. The G26 was my most recent purchase, and I find that it continues to grow on me. I really want to carry the G30 everyday, but the G26 is following me out the door more and more. Honestly, 10+1 of 9mm is not a wimpy primary.

So do you think this is the one?

Congrats on your choice. The G26 is my EDC. You will grow to "luv" it...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    So do you think this is the one?
    Well, every time that i have switched CC weapons has always been for something that i didn't have before and thought i wanted or something I had and decided I didn't want anymore. The G26 is kinda the culmination of a years worth of expirmentaion so I hope so!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

You have been assimilated...and it is good.

You resisted as long as you could...but in the end, resistance is futile.

G26 is an excellent choice!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

los
    Congrats, Rollo.

You've chosen an outstanding CCW with an amazing track record. I carried a G26 that gave me flawless performance 24/7. Wish I'd never sold it.

Carry it safely, carry it always.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Administrator
    Well, we all know what I'm going to say, so I won't even say it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While I feel you fell victim to ancient history on the G36 (if it ever was + I'm fond of .45 ACP also), I have no doubt you'll enjoy the 26 and it will serve you well. Hope you have many spent casing over your shoulder!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You've made a GREAT choice!

My EDC is the Glock-36, but lately I have been enjoying carrying around the Glock-26...it is a fine weapon.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great Choice! 100% reliability is correct.

My EDC gun is a Glock 19 and my wife's current EDC gun is a Glock 26 in a FIST ultra-thin kydex IWB holster.

Stay safe
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Well, every time that i have switched CC weapons has always been for something that i didn't have before and thought i wanted or something I had and decided I didn't want anymore. The G26 is kinda the culmination of a years worth of expirmentaion so I hope so!
    Experiment a little more with an M&P 9c and make the switch with the gun shop while you can!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Rollo.....you couldnt have gone wrong with any of your choices......and the 26 will serve you well...a small gun that shoots like a much larger one.....you will love it.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

G26

Rollo, congrats on your new ccw. It is a good choice. I just added a G19 to my collection and am 100 percent satisfied. I think you will be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    While I feel you fell victim to ancient history on the G36 (if it ever was + I'm fond of .45 ACP also), I have no doubt you'll enjoy the 26 and it will serve you well. Hope you have many spent casing over your shoulder!
    I agree. Most of the issues with 36 have long since been resolved but in the past few years there have been a few reports of problems. There have been more or less zero with the 26 and to be honest this was as much of a "peace of mind" buy as it was a "I need a CCW" purchase if that makes any sense. Also, the higher capacity and (for me) better uncontrollably of the 9mm won out in the end. However if what they say is true about Glocks I doubt this will be my last one...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links