Fun Gun Oil Test

This is a discussion on Fun Gun Oil Test within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Check out these Gun oil tests a friend and I performed and reported on late last year. We did this just for fun. Gunslick and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun Gun Oil test

Fun Gun Oil test

Check out these Gun oil tests a friend and I performed and reported on late last year.

We did this just for fun. Gunslick and Outers performed the best IMO.

I'm not sure about lubricity, but these test show which oil protects my guns best from corrosion.

CAUTION: YOU MAY BE SURPRISED BY THE RESULTS. I DID NOT FUDGE THE testS. PLEASE TAKE IT EASY ON ME!!!

****And by the way...the cheapest gun oil did the best!!!

test 1:
    Minnesota Carry Forum • View topic - Fun Gun Oil test I

test 2:
    Minnesota Carry Forum • View topic - Fun Gun Oil test II...RESULTS IN

I am not affiliated with any gun oil company, I just wanted to see which oil protected the best against corrosion.

Good luck!

2. Remove Ads

Interesting.

It would seem that the oils that did not do well evaporated?

If so, does it stand to reason that the winning oil also has the best friction/wear protection as well since it would seem to remain in place longer?
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Wow that's pretty neat. I always find these tests interesting. Thanks for sharing!

You've gotta be kidding me?! I can't believe that you'd base your decision of which gun oil did the best in a anti-corrosive test! I think you should re-think your priorities of what you think a gun lubricant should do.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing the results of your test. Sorry some feel the need to flame...
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

Next time insteading of being so ready to flame, take a bit more ti
    e to read. In his original post it did state it was just corrosion, not anything else.

Thanks for the post, that's some intersting info

I thought it was interesting. Thanks for taking the time to do the test.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Pretty interesting I guess. Looks like my oil of choice is fairly decent
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    yes very interesting indeed

I use breakfree but might pick up some Outers if I need to store a gun
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Pretty cool. Rem oil suprised me.....thought it would have done better....

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Good post!

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I've always used bore solvent, and G96 as a lub and protectant. (sometimes a dab of gun grease on a high wear area that doesn't collect alot of dirt or powder residue) I thought I was the only person alive who still used G96 complete gun treatment. I guess after the showing it made in the tests I'll continue to use it instead of trying some of the newer stuff getting all the hype these days. Besides, I always liked the way G96 smells like bubble gum.

Quote Originally Posted by DW Steve View Post
    You've gotta be kidding me?! I can't believe that you'd base your decision of which gun oil did the best in a anti-corrosive test! I think you should re-think your priorities of what you think a gun lubricant should do.
    You seem the perfect person to answer a question that has been bothering me the past few weeks here.

Why do some people just want to be an *** instead of stating an opinion in a civilized manner?

To the OP: Thanks, it was an interesting and educational test of one facet of a lubricant's effectiveness...now, if one could just get non-partisan tests of "slickness", it would be an excellent all-around tool for choosing a lube.

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Quote Originally Posted by NDCent View Post
    I've always used bore solvent, and G96 as a lub and protectant. (sometimes a dab of gun grease on a high wear area that doesn't collect alot of dirt or powder residue) I thought I was the only person alive who still used G96 complete gun treatment. I guess after the showing it made in the tests I'll continue to use it instead of trying some of the newer stuff getting all the hype these days. Besides, I always liked the way G96 smells like bubble gum.

i use g96 too becuase i like smell.

Quote Originally Posted by DW Steve View Post

Well, Here is my thinking.

My Pistol spends 99% of its TOTAL life in the holster on the hip or in storage. (counting in hours like an engine etc...)

I shoot about 300 rounds a month...approx 2 hrs of use a month. Thats 24 hrs of use a year. A year has 8760 hrs. So, a carry pistol gets used very little throughout its life. (at least mine does)

Carry guns are subject to humid conditions, sweat, dust, rain, snow, salt dust (MN roads) etc.... Hunting rifles are subject to even harsher conditions, but typically get less usage in a year. (generalizing here)

So naturally, I want a gun oil that protects best against these conditions.

I'm sure the Outers also lubricates well because it was the best at "soaking in or bonding" to the metal parts.

Do you have access to testing lubricity? I would be happy to send you samples to test and would like to know for my own reference.

Maybe Outers is a horrible lubricant....who know's?

Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links