J-Frame sights

This is a discussion on J-Frame sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a S&W 638 last week and it will be my daily carry gun once I get my permit. I took it to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J-Frame sights

J-Frame sights

I bought a S&W 638 last week and it will be my daily carry gun once I get my permit. I took it to the range today and shot it for the first time. Very nice to shoot. Comfortable and accurate.

The only problem I had was finding the front sight in the notch. My eyes are not too good and had trouble finding it since the notch and front sight are all dull silver in color. I have a S&W 686 with the orange insert in front sight. Can something like this be added? Other suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug

2. Remove Ads

Paint the front site yellow or red.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Try an inexpensive nail polish in a bright red, pink or light green. You can always clean it off if you don't like it.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Assistant Administrator
    http://www.smartcarry.com/ - Charlie Parrot who is the owner keeps for sale, or used to - ''Brightsights'' paint - I got some in green, orange and red - works well if area prep'd fully to degrease - and anyways - not hard to reapply if needed.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have seen red plastic ( screwdriver handle pieces ) dovetailed into the sights of j frames , personaly i thing the paint is more practical lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

you don't need to see the sights on a j-frame. it is not a target gun. it is made for close up defence, not long range. 5 yards and in, all you need to do is point and shoot. i carry a s&w model 60 as my "bug" on duty and i don't use the sights. on "q" days i point and shoot the gun untill we get to the 25 yard line phase. then i use what sights the j-frame has.

Doug -
    On my Taurus CH mod 85 (same basic revolver except has a concealed hammer) I used Birchwood Casey Super Bright Touch Up Sight Pens. Available at gun stores. Puts a nice Red fluorescent paint on the front site. I also put their flat white paint on the rear site for contrast. It wears well, and really makes the sights usable.

I also recently bought a Smith 638. I will use this same sight paint on it. I have also ordered a set of Crimson Trace LG-405 laser grips to complete the package.
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

I use testors bright red model paint. It works well. I intend to put an XS big dot night sight on my 649. I have the big dots on a couple of 1911's and a P245 and as far as I'm concerned they're the best thing going for tired eyes.
    It's like a pie plate on the end of the gun. You cannot miss it.

Second the testors Red Model paint. Works great and last a long time. Besides the cost is great. Yes, very easy to pick up the front sight. My wife and I, both, use it on our revolvers.

Mark

Another fan of testors- save that I mix up a drop of Devcon 2 ton epoxy, and put a toothpick-administered drop or two of the paint into the epoxy (after mixing, before application). Seems more resistant to abrasion and some solvents.

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    you don't need to see the sights on a j-frame. it is not a target gun. it is made for close up defence, not long range. 5 yards and in, all you need to do is point and shoot. i carry a s&w model 60 as my "bug" on duty and i don't use the sights. on "q" days i point and shoot the gun untill we get to the 25 yard line phase. then i use what sights the j-frame has.
    I beg to differ... I can put 3 out of 5 within 2" at 25 yards with a 638. It is that accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Another fan of testors- save that I mix up a drop of Devcon 2 ton epoxy, and put a toothpick-administered drop or two of the paint into the epoxy (after mixing, before application). Seems more resistant to abrasion and some solvents.
    You can go even further with the epoxy system if you want. There are epoxy pigments available is many colors. One small can would last a lifetime! You mix the epoxy up then add the pigment and apply. Impervious to most solvents when cured and very abrasion resistant.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

With a J- frame, you have to practice because in reality you should never find yourself shooting one long distance in any CCW situation. The J-frame is used for up close and personal business. This is how most attacks take place. This is where the J-frame shines. I carry a 637 and feel pretty good with it.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

+1 for testor's enamel...I use blaze orange...applied with a toothpick.

I will have to remember that tip about using epoxy as hardener.

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Could any of you post a pic of your "paint job?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links