Reliability differences between G30 and G30SF?

This is a discussion on Reliability differences between G30 and G30SF? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Well I have my VBOB 1911 coming in a few days and I want to replace my G26 to stay solely with 45acp. I ...

Thread: Reliability differences between G30 and G30SF?

Reliability differences between G30 and G30SF?

Hi,

Well I have my VBOB 1911 coming in a few days and I want to replace my G26 to stay solely with 45acp. I was going to buy the XD45C, but I have an opportunity to buy a G30 or 30SF for a much better price. That Valor wasn't cheap! I held both in my hands last year and could only feel a slight difference with the SF in my Med sized hand. My biggest concern deciding now is whether the SF's are still having some reliability problems. My dealer says his stock of SF's are new. Are there certain serial numbers I need to watch out for? If they are both as reliable, I would probably rather go with the SF.

Thanks
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'd say you're safe to go with the SF. I researched them to death prior to buying one about 4 months ago. Any negative comments that I found were very old. I'm not even aware of a confirmed problem in the early models, just a lot of talk.

I can't say enough good things about my experience with the G30SF. It eats everything, is smooth as butter, and more accurate than I thought a handgun could be. I can't imagine what a G21 would shoot like? Be careful, you may find that you like shooting it more than the VBOB?

Afterthought - The only negative comments that I've seen were some FTF's during the 'break in' period. IMHO one of the reasons that I love Glock is that there is no required 'break in' period. I suspect that one reason why I have always had a good experience, is that before I take a new gun to the range, I break it down, inspect and clean it thoroughly, and rack the slide a few dozen times. It's always ready to rock after that. I've yet to have an FTF on any Glock I've owned.

does glock still make a regular g30? if so can they order it?

Can anyone show a picture comparison of the GLOCK 30 and 30 SF? I know I want a compact GLOCK in .45 acp and I'm pretty sure I want more capacity than what the 36 offers, unfortunately I'm hours away from a gun shop to fondle them.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Can anyone show a picture comparison of the GLOCK 30 and 30 SF? I know I want a compact GLOCK in .45 acp and I'm pretty sure I want more capacity than what the 36 offers, unfortunately I'm hours away from a gun shop to fondle them.
    i dont have any pictures, but i've held both side by side,

the diffrence is there. indeed the SF feels better, but i'd rather go with a reg one if its more reliable than the SF...

i too want a 45 by glock...after i get my g19 LOL

In the 300 rounds so far through my 30sf I've had not one issue...with the gun, though I did limp wrist it a few times when I first shot it.

There is really no notcible "visual" difference. Only the grip is slightly shorter than the G30. The trigger is 3mm further back and the grip is just a hair shorter.

The large hole in the back of the frame is bigger on the 30, the 30sf has a smaller hole. That's were most of the work was done.

If you get a butt plug made for the G30 it will not fit in the SF due to the space they refined in shortening the frame. That's were you notice the difference.

It's hard to visually pick up the difference between the two when it's only 3mm or difference...but the FEEL...you can FEEL the difference when you hold the two... I had a better trigger reach and mag realease manipulation on the SF than the 30.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yes Glock still makes both.

I have a G30 and cannot tell any real difference with the SF model. Just me maybe. The width of the grip is more noticeable than the length, but what can you say--it's a double-stack .45. I've never heard of any issues with the 30SF as the only difference is the molding of the grip. Either is fine, take whichever fits you best (if you can tell).

My one FTE was on my second mag. But since I hadn't shot a semiauto or a .45 ACP in nearly 40 years, I'm not surprised that I limped it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks for the replies. I will go back to the GD and take a look at the SF again.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

Well...

I have the G30 and the G21SF.

No problems with either, and the SF is almost one of the first off the "new line".

I love the 30, and have no problems with it.

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

There were some complaints over on Glocktalk about FTRB issues cause by the trigger bar scraping the slide on some G30SF models. Glock actually came up with a new trigger bar to address the problem and it seems the complaints have been minmal since then. It should be noted that this problem only affected some G30SF models. I have a G30 and have about 1k rounds through it. No problems ever.

I pick up my new 30SF tomorrow. Can't wait to shoot it!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    the 30 & 30sf are the same gun...the grip is molded to allow a 3mm closer reach to the trigger...thats it....mechanically they are identical...

i own the sf...i found the closer reach to the trigger gave me a more relaxed and independant trigger finger for better trigger control around that wide grip...that is the difference as i saw it...

never a hiccup...and it survived brownies threat focused handgun class acid test...

G30S or G30SF

I totally agree with LEO I'm also a semi- retired LEO/Firefighter (PSO), o.k. Enough of my credentials! I wish I knew your LGS, because I've been trying here in our state and can't find a G30S or G30SF anywhere. I had the opportunity to try the SF and loved that firearm. It did have several FTF, no FTE, however; after that not one hiccup form100 rounds. I should have, at least racked the slide several times before firing it.

I have two Sig Sauer pistols and they're great too, but the G30SF was super, in that no first hard trigger pull. In addition, every shot had the same consistent trigger pull, without any "upgrades to the trigger" and the accuracy was suburb. Go with the SF, if you don't mind the slight weight difference. My local LGS only has the SF to rent and try, but I really liked it and the balance due to the heavier and wider slide helped reduce the recoil too, get it, my friend. I'd try to get the Gen 4, it's been on the market, but LEO's active or retired get priority here and there is still a long wait. Good luck :)

G26, S&W 640 357, S&W M&P 38 spl Airweight, Sig P220, Sig P229, H&K LEM Compact .40

The difference between the 30S and the SF is the 30S slide is the same as the G36. Which is the Baby Glock single stack .45 slide size, that's all. Both of the models you decide have the Short Frame (SF) and the only part that's "slimmer" is the G30S slide. The Short Frame does have the reduced front to back of the grip on both pistols, making trigger reach better.
    Last edited by Stbernard; June 13th, 2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Left out important additional info

Links