Ruger P345

Ruger P345

This is a discussion on Ruger P345 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read several people on this thread that really like their P-90'S and P95's. I am wondering if any one has a P345 and ...

Thread: Ruger P345

Ruger P345

I have read several people on this thread that really like their P-90'S and P95's. I am wondering if any one has a P345 and what they think of it.
    I noticed the grip is different than the other P-series pistols. As are the sights. I really like my SR9c, and I am contemplating a .45

I've handled one in the gun shop and thought about it seriously as my venture into 45 since I like the P95 so well. I've decided my 45 will be a 1911 platform. I've seen a few issues with the P345 here and there, but nothing that would point to a trend.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

like every other ruger p series

solid as a rock. capacity is limited but not anymore than any other single stack 45. It has the polymer frame which saves on weight, and has always gone bang when I pull the trigger. The price is very reasonable as well. I would rather have a Ruger 345 over a 1911 style in the same price range.

I have a 345 (de-cocker only model).

It is my primary carry weapon. I have not found anything I like better. I own more expensive guns but the 345 is my favorite.

Having said that, I found the gun too unreliable to carry at first.

I...

Removed the mag disconnect. (Cured the click -no bang problem.)

Replaced the recoil spring with a stronger one. This cured the occasional failure of the slide to come completely forward after being fired.- I never shoot any "weak" ammo in it anyway.

I also LIGHTLY polished the breech face as I heard rumors of tiny burrs on some of them. -Not sure if it needed it or not.

I have not had a failure of any kind since doing this. I have complete confidence in it now.

If mine was lost somehow, I'd immediatly buy another one.

I would do the same things to it to insure reliability though.

It carries well and I shoot it as well or better than my other handguns.

YMMV

Thanks for your posts, I am not a fan of 1911 style grips. I seem to like something more form fitting. Thus my SR9c, and M&p9. I would buy a SR40c or 45c if available. I want to shoot both the 345 and the m&p45c for comparison.

I had a P345 for a couple months and has issues with it. First let me say I bought it NEW and it was NOT adisplay gun. I never dry fired the gun without having an empty mad in it (because without a mag it can damage the gun).

Every fourth or fifth DA trigger pull the hammer would drop but no bang. Not even a hint of a primer strike.

Sent it to Ruger and they said it was a timing issue and said they fixed it and sent it back to me. Same thing, click no bang. Sent it back again and they said the saem thing but when I got it back it still wasn't fixed.

I quickly sold it after that.

I have heard many stories from other people that they love the gun and have never had an issue with it (although it seems most people remove the rear sight and disable the mag disconnect).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well I like rugers but I don't want to half rebuild one to get it operating right. My SR9c just needed some parts polished. (trigger felt scratchy) My M&p9 either needs the sear reworked or an APEX sear installed. Ah Ok Run a few thousand rounds through em they feel better on there own. But I'll pass on needing to do that much work on one.

Thank Folks

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Don't be discouraged by the results two people have gotten. People that address forums often do so because they have an issue. You don't always hear from the scores of people who love a certain firearm and depend on it daily.

I have a P-345 that I have had absolutely no issues with. I carry it very comfortably in a Crossbreed Supertuck. The gun is about the size of a Colt Commander, and it is very accurate, very slim. There is nothing I don't like about this gun. Check with the New Hampshire police dept.; their lives depend on the Ruger P345 every day!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Ok freedom of choice I'll see if my range has one for rent. thanks for your post.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

My dad purchased one of the Ruger P345 pistols for his defensive gun. I borrowed it for some informal tests and LOVED IT.

I found it shot very accurately for me. Along side my Sig 220 it held up shot for shot.

I loaded up some handloads at bare minimum powder levels with 185gr semiwadcutter bullets. I tried to make the pistol jam and could not. It just ran and ran. I tried limp wristing it, I tried "gangsta shooting" it (held sideways at a declining angle), I tried rapid and slow fire. I could not make it jam.

A couple of points that my dad stated among his reasons for purchasing the pistol may be worth note. One, its value for the dollar. It is a quality .45 for less than a small fortune. Two, its safety features. The loaded chamber indicator and keyed lock out safety played heavily in his choice. There are 4 grandchildren ranging in age from 2 to 11 years old. The ability to lock the gun so it cannot be taken off of safe and fired added an extra level of comfort for him and my mom when the kids are at their house. (The guns are locked in GunVault safes as well, but being able to disable the pistol in case one of the kids managed to defeat the safe somehow was comforting to them.)

I have suggested this pistol to several friends looking for .45s and none that have purchased it have had anything negative to say about it.

Hope that is some help.
    Ruffinit

I own one and use it quite regularly. It was my primary carry gun for a while until I switched to my Security Six. I do however use this gun to go to work with as its cheap and holds no sentimental value. Also combined with my High Noon holster its easy on/off for after work when going to eat or stopped @ wally world.

I did have a problem w/ the stupid mag safety as i shot IDPA comps with it and as the rules require trigger pull w/ no mag it messed it up. sent it off to ruger got it back and took the mag safety out no problems since then that weren't created by me

A couple more useful posts, My thanks.

My bride is very fond of my SR9c and I had a hard time getting it away from her at the range this week. So I may need a replacement sooner than I thought.
    LET FREEDOM REIGN NOT GOVERNMENT

Sponsored Links