Commander Sized 1911

Commander Sized 1911

This is a discussion on Commander Sized 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After fighting it, I'm going back to 1911s. For the last few months I've been searching for something commander sized. It seems while I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commander Sized 1911

Commander Sized 1911

After fighting it, I'm going back to 1911s. For the last few months I've been searching for something commander sized. It seems while I was busy buying other stuff the prices on good old Colt Commanders went crazy. So crazy it's actually cheaper to buy a new Sig or Smith than a decent Colt. Now I understand that prices have gone up recently but I'm seeing upwards of $800. for very worn Series 80 Commanders. I'm talking road rash worn. My first question..... is this just in my area or are the prices really that high ?

So do I keep holding out for a great deal on a Colt or just buy a commander sized Sig, Smith or STI ? I've listed a few local prices.

S&W Gunsite NIB- 975.00 The dealer has had this for about a year. I'd say his price will drop a hair.

Sig 1911 Carry NIB- 915.00 Tried to find a CPO but no luck.

STI Ranger II NIB- 999.00

I would rather buy used but i'm not having much luck finding a deal. Does anyone remember an online gun dealer that specialized in Colts ? He always seemed to photograph them with Rolex watches. I saw his website but seem to have lost it over time.

As usual feel free to chime in with your opinion or recent 1911 4.25 purchases and prices.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

I'd buy a new Springfield, Sig, S+W or STI before I bought a Colt 1911 in any size today. Colt is in catch-up mode these days and has some serious ground to make up with respect to features, quality and value.

Just to get you started, take a look at the Springfield Champion line.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have a new Colt Combat Commander and it runs 100%. It is solid and seems well built. It is one of my go-to guns if things get bad. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Mine cost me $755.00 delivered from Bud's Gun Shop. I then gave $25.00 to my dealer for xsfer. Well worth the money, IMO.

Here she is after her maiden workout at the range. Ran GREAT !

I also have a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II in 4" barrel length. It is a nicer looking gun than my Colt, but I think the Colt is a better gun. Having said that, I carry the Kimber more because it is lighter in weight. I like the Kimber a lot, but I like the Colt better.

I think I paid $500.00 for this one, with the blue plastic COLT box, and all the papers and a couple of spare magazines, but it's been three or four years ago I guess. No idea what they go for now.

It's a 1991A1 Commander. It's had some custom work done before I got it apparently judging from the non-stock trigger and the beavertail grip safety. Good shooting gun.

I like Colts, but if I couldn't find one I'd just look for another manufacturer. Shoot, RIA seems to make a good 1911 and I believe they offer a commander sized one.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Here's a thought You may not like it....

You could consider a Rock Island Armory 1911 Mid Size (their commander size). I just bought one for $392 delivered. Can't believe how well it seems to be made compared to a Springfield GI which is what I compared it to.

I only ended up buying it because I couldn't locate a commander sized "GI" Springfield. LOTS of Springfield full size "mil specs" out there but I wanted a commander sized gun.

Haven't fired it and won't even take delivery of it until today or tomorrow but compared them in stores and did a lot of reaching. They're not as nice as the Colt and if you can afford it, I'd recommend the Colt Commander any day of the week but I'm starting to think the RIA (as they're called) are actually great values.

To me they're kind of like a Bersa .380....very inexpensive but of very surprising quality, value, and reliability.

God Bless
    Gideon

$800 is high for a well used Colt Commander. Check with Ozark guns, etc. for a new one.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

i bought a goverment size 38 super for 800 new and a colt defender for 850 new.

i have seen the commander size go for 900 new around here. i belive it was the lightweight commander Toledo,Ohio

Kimber Pro series, ya' can't go wrong.
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

Well............if you wait any longer you'll be payin upwards of 1K.....
    IMO, there's nothing like an original Pre 80's 1911 be it a Combat Commander or Gov't model. Colt had the right people back then and the QC was on the money, also, no MIM parts.

As of late, QC has been a real issue for Kimber, Colt, RIA, SA and even Sig to some degree.

If you could find one in the condition your looking for, I would not hesitate to go for a Series 70 / Pre 80's 1911 Colt. I have a few and wouldn't trade them for any the new production guns out there and I've shot them all.

"It's not a .45 unless it has a Horse on it"..................

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Yeah Colts are expensive, but IMO everything is these days. Wait till next year, the 100th anniversary of the Army's adoption of Browning's platform. Buy it now before the price goes up another 20%!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Yeah Colts are expensive, but IMO everything is these days. Wait till next year, the 100th anniversary of the Army's adoption of Browning's platform. Buy it now before the price goes up another 20%!

The prices have already been adjusted. It works just like Wall Street. The rumor starts and the stock price immediately reacts so that when the event being rumored happens the adjustment has already occurred. It's an old game.
    SEMPER FI

[QUOTE=CajunBass;1614835]I think I paid $500.00 for this one, with the blue plastic COLT box, and all the papers and a couple of spare magazines, but it's been three or four years ago I guess. No idea what they go for now.

Those are the deals I remember. Funny how things change in a few years.

Thanks for all the input guys. Ozarks was the dealer I was looking for. I'll be watching to see when he gets more in stock. I'll run down this weekend and see if the local guy will make a deal on the Gunsite S&W. If not the search is still on.
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

The only thing I don't like about the Kimber Pro Series is that bull barrel and FLGR. I took my top half off and replaced it with a Fusion true commander upper with 4.25 inch bushing barrel and GI recoil gizmos. Life is good. No tools to field strip my gun now.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the Kimber Pro Series is that bull barrel and FLGR. I took my top half off and replaced it with a Fusion true commander upper with 4.25 inch bushing barrel and GI recoil gizmos. Life is good. No tools to field strip my gun now.
    I'm interested in what you said you did to your Kimber Pro but, I don't know much about guns and don't understand your post. Could you explain in plain terms for me?
    By the way I have had a 4" 1911 on order from Fusion since Dec.
    Thanks
    SEMPER FI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links