Defensive Carry banner

Kahr P380 frame flaw

6K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  LanceORYGUN 
#1 ·
Hello guys. I'm new to this forum and a new Kahr P380 owner. Well after taking the brand new gun out of the box and inspecting it, I noticed that the right side of the frame towards the barrel end has noticeable flaws which resembles some rippling and unevenness. The other side is flat and smooth.

I know it probably will make no difference in how the gun shoots, but for $600.00 I would like a gun that looks new. I have contacted Kahr and will probably send the gun to them. I don't think it's fair that 999 out of 1000 guns are uniformly built and I get the one with an irregularity in the polymer frame.

I will put up pictures later (when I find the cord that connects to the computer) to show. Thanks for allowing me to whine:smile:

#2 ·
I also have a p380 and after reading your post, I checked mine out closely
looking for a similar flaw but none there... Kahr should no doubt make it
right for you but doesn't help with the aggravation factor..
BTW, my p380 is an outstanding piece of work, especially the way is shoots and the accuracy amazes me. Glad I waited and didn't go the cheaper route.. This one is a keeper and I am now trying to sell my Mustang... but for a pretty price.

#4 ·
It probably wouldn't affect the performance of the gun, but I would return it for one without the defects. You paid for a gun with no defects, you should get one that way. I would think that Kahr will make it right. Now if they offered to knock $300 off the price, I would consider keeping it.

#5 ·
I would contact Kahr. They have great customer service and will make things right. I have two polymer Kahrs (PM9 & P380) and neither one looks like that.

#6 ·
Yikes!:gah:

I don't own a Kahr, but that doesn't look good.

They'll probably take care of it, though. Heard nothing but good about them so far.

#10 ·
Yup, I bought it from Gun broker, sight unseen. I never would have chose this ugly duckling with these looks if I had the opportunity to see it first. Don't know if I want to hassle with the dealer, or send it to Kahr. Either way, this baby is going back.

#20 ·
You made a very big mistake here. You should have inspected the handgun BEFORE filling out all of the paperwork to legally transfer the gun to you.

I've bought lots of firearms through gunbroker.com, and have always carefully inspected them before accepting the gun. If you had simply done that, you could have refused to accept delivery, and simply had the gun returned to the dealer for a refund.

Everyone here should learn from your error here.

#12 ·
Fobs, I wish you well on this. I've owned one Kahr and had issues with it. I no longer own it but not because of the product. I've had issues with a Sig that I still own. My single issue is their customer service. Nothing short of pathetic. It began with being forced to ship overnight to them, at my expense, or they charge $40 immediately to return the gun. Next, no consideration was given to reimburse me for shipping. Then came the inability to communicate with me as to the status of the repair. This was followed by them keeping the gun for weeks (3-4), I cannot remember. I will give them credit in one area; When they finally returned my repaired P40, they gave a clear explanation of the repairs and they were extensive. I just can't be kicked that hard without reacting. I can't buy their products again and that's a shame. They've got some good stuff.

I wish you well.

#14 ·
+1 I love their products and while some have reported good experiences with their customer service, my own experience in dealing with them was mediocre at best. They did wind up paying for shipping to them, but only after having expressed concern about having to front the bill. They had it a week too long; since it was there, I thought I'd have some night sights installed to further justify the trip. They have to contact you for billing information to pay for the sights and install fee - which is completely expected, but after leaving a voicemail for me, the tech became almost impossible to reach by phone. Left many VMs over the span of a week, until I decided to call the main customer service number and guess who picks up? The amazing disappearing Kahr service tech took the info and was not the least bit apologetic about causing the delay. They even charged me $40 for the installation of the sights, even though one of the issues with the pistol was it having a slightly bent front sight from the factory. I gave in after a respectful inquiry as to why I was being charged for the installation of an upgraded part to replace an incorrectly installed one. So they got my $40...wonder what their profit would've been on the P9 and MK9 I am no longer planning to buy?

When I got it back about two weeks after shipping it, it was repaired, but the exterior of my magazine button was worn and dinged up; it was pristine when I sent it to them. Called them up and talked to a better tech this time; he was talking about reshipping it to MA to remedy the problem, but after relaying my experiences with their service, he offered to ship me a replacement for no charge. Maybe it depends on who you talk to when you call, but as I understand, the guys on the phone are not the ones performing the repairs.

I hope your experience turns out better.

#15 ·
What you have there, my friend, is an infamous "Monday/Friday" gun. Someone in QC wanting to take off for the weekend skipped over this one.

That's one negative vote for Kahr.

#21 ·
That's one negative vote for Kahr.
Also a rather negative vote for the dealer that sold the gun on gunbroker.com They had an obligation to the purchaser to inspect the gun before selling it online.

In my opinion, there is a good chance here that the dealer was aware of the defect, and thus sought to unload the gun on gunbroker.com, rather than go to any trouble himself to get Kahr to exchange the gun.

Hopefully Fobs gave the dealer negative feedback on Gunbroker.com

#17 ·
I wouldn't worry about it

I have a PM9 and I had noticed very similar issues regarding the frame. My appears to "bow" out just a tad on both sides. I called Kahr and they told me that it sometimes happens during the molding process. However, as long as the steel rails remain straight, then the slide will function without any problems.
So far, I have put almost 1000 rounds through mine and have not had any problems other than 3 problems with the slid jamming during the first 200 rounds. Kahr recommends that you shot it at least 250 rounds through it before it becomes your primary or secondary carry piece. Make sure to lube it well and keep it clean (just like any other firearm)
Hope this helps!

#18 ·
Well guys, it's been some time since I last posted. Thanks for all the replies. I finally sent the gun in after communicating with Kahr via email. They kept the gun for about 2 weeks and sent it back with a new frame.

Long story short, I'm very happy with the customer service, they gave me what I wanted (a new frame.) and it only took 2 weeks start to finish. I will be another customer of theirs in the future (got my eyes on the PM9.):smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.