.22 caliber little brothers

This is a discussion on .22 caliber little brothers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently carry a S&W M&Pc .40. I would love to be able to buy an identical gun in .22 caliber. It would be so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 caliber little brothers

I currently carry a S&W M&Pc .40. I would love to be able to buy an identical gun in .22 caliber. It would be so cheap to shoot and I could have the exact same setup as my SD gun.

Imagine how many .22 caliber glocks could be sold if they made one in all three frame sizes.

Sig has the Mosquito which is similar to the 226/229. Sig also sells a .22 caliber barrel/slide combination for practice. 1911 .22 conversion kits are also out there.

Why don't S&W, Glock, Springfield(xd) get into the game as well??

Would ya'll buy an identical gun to your carry autoloader in .22 if it was available?
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

A .22 rimfire is a pain to get to feed correctly from a non-rotary magazine. John Ciener has been making .22LR conversions longer than I've been alive and they are still not 100% reliable neither are the other conversion units on the market.

When you are retrofitting a centerfire pistol with a .22 LR conversion you are entering a world of engineering that is one of the most difficult in the industry. Generally you have to accurately predict sales to offset R&D investment and break even point, then profitability. If they numbers don't jive, it won't happen. With the demand for their main line of pistols as it is, it will be long before they can invest the money and time into bringing about a .22 version.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

cmb
    Never shot a conversion for 22 but everything I have read indicates they can be finicky... I couldn't see how the sight would be the same anyway, nor point of aim, 230 grain at 850 fps does not equal 36 grain at 1050 fps. I will stick to my 22 Ruger which has similar controls and is accurate for me and my SA 1911 and just keep them separate. If I ever needed both in a survival situation I would be willing to carry the extra 30 ounces plus a few hundred rounds of 22... and going to the range I tote the 22 almost every time anyway...

Is there a .22 caliber pistol that has a similar trigger pull to a glock or M&P? The popular Browning and Ruger .22s all have 1911 type trigger pulls and controls(safety location).

The sights could be relatively identical, just a height adjustment if you're worried about a comparision with a .45.

I have a SIG mosqito that I bought for my kids and as others have mentioned about rimfire feeding issues, I have to say that it is the most finicky pistol that I have ever met. It will only accept CCI velociter (the factory test ammo) with no degree of certainty, any other ammo and you are lucky to get through one mag before it starts malfunctioning. It is a nice little pistol when it shoots.

I can't speak to the newer conversions available, but I have an older (57') Ace conversion for my 57' Colt Government model and it has no reliability problems, not the most accurate, but solid trouble free plinking fun all day long.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

I'm surprised to hear the reliability comments since ruger and browning apparently figured it out just fine with all of their .22 pistols. I would think that there are some fine engineers at the gun companies that could easily work this out...perhaps not.

I was teaching a concealed carry class and several people have brought .22's out to shoot and all i can say is those people get ALOT of practice at malfunctions. I also have an FFL so i called Sig and asked about the mosquitoes and they said only use High Velocity CCI Ammo.

I have an Advantage Arms .22 conversion for my G19. It works well with cheap bulk pack .22 ammo as long as you don't load more than 5 rounds into the magazine.

I went with AA instead of Ceiner because the AA kit locks the slide open when empty, just like the pistol does when firing 9mm.

However, since getting my (used, old, cheap) Iver Johnson Sealed Target 8 .22 revolver, I don't use the conversion much anymore. The revolver never has issues, and if I get a dud, just pull the trigger again! The sights suck, but it sure is a fun plinker!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I have an Advantage Arms .22 conversion for my G19. It works well with cheap bulk pack .22 ammo as long as you don't load more than 5 rounds into the magazine.

I went with AA instead of Ceiner because the AA kit locks the slide open when empty, just like the pistol does when firing 9mm.

However, since getting my (used, old, cheap) Iver Johnson Sealed Target 8 .22 revolver, I don't use the conversion much anymore. The revolver never has issues, and if I get a dud, just pull the trigger again! The sights suck, but it sure is a fun plinker!
    I just recently stumbled across those Glock conversions online, I was wondering how they worked out since they are not put out by Glock.

aag
    When it comes to 22lr, I really enjoy shooting my Firestorm (Bersa) 22. No malfunctions to speak of, has been absolutely reliable with any kind of ammo.

That being said, 22 conversion kit from Advantage Arms for my G26 is on my shopping list.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I'll stick to my Ruger 22/45 as it has the most similar grip style and manual of arms to my carry semi-autos. I would love to have a S&W .22 cal Airweight though, to compliment my 637.... but way more money than I can afford for the now forseeable future.

surv

I just got rid of a Walther P22. It shot great with CCI's but not so great with the junk brick stuff. It was fun though. I traded it for my S&W 637 Airweight. I figured all I need is a AA conversion kit for my Glock 26 and I'll be back in business for plinking!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

GlockJS, I am finding that I have the same problem with my P22. I am thinking about trading it for something else too. CCI is the only ammo it likes. Drives me nuts.

Tibby45 - Maybe I am just lucky but the Ciener conversion I have for my 70 series Commander runs perfectly. The first one he sent me did not work good and I returned it and when he never sent a new one or returned my money. He did not answer my letters and when I called I was told a new unit would be sent out but after 4 months I wrote a letter to the state Attorney General. About a month after that I got my new conversion kit. While it does not jam I would never buy from him again. I just hope I never have a problem with it or have to deal with him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links